Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/06/2020, 09:59 PM   #1
bigtank
Premium Member

Best Complete Tank Available? Or Build Your Own?

I have been out of the hobby for a long time and it's about time to get back into it. Had a basic 70 gallon reef setup way back in the day (2000-2002) and tried a 12g nano cube in college for a bit. Also had African cichlids in college with that same 70 gallon tank and really enjoyed that too.

Now I'm 36 and buying a condo. Closing next week on it. I know I really want to do a reef again but I really want to do it right. RO/DI water from the get go, quality equipment, and an overall solid setup. Thinking of mostly 30-50 gallon range stuff. I like the idea of a complete system that comes with the sump and most of the stuff already pre-set for you. Several companies make some really nice ones with low-iron glass and everything really screaming "quality" more than your basic 40B that you drill for an overflow and DIY the stand and what not.

Really thinking of one of these maybe:

Cadlights Versa II 68 gallon system: https://www.cadlights.com/index.php?...roducts_id=360
It seems to be a smoking hot deal for $1230. I don't really need to go that big but it sure looks like an awful lot of tank and awesomeness for your reef dollar.

Reef Octopus Lux T90 48 gallon system: https://www.marinedepot.com/lux-t90-...e-reef-octopus
Looks maybe even nicer than the Cadlights, but 1800 big bucks plus maybe $300 shipping. A lot more money for a smaller tank, but maybe better build quality?

Red Sea Reefer 250 54 gallon system: https://www.marinedepot.com/red-sea-...rium-54-gallon
Middle size of the 3 options, middle price of $1500 here. I don't think it includes a protein skimmer at this price, but the other two do. Possibly the best sump of the three, however.

I know I don't want to do another basic sumpless tank with hang-on gear, and probably not an all-in-one, although I know you can do a heck of a tank with AIO. Do most people these days buy a complete system, or engineer and build their own? I could do the "Buy a 40 and build it bro!" thing, and it might be more fun to set up that way, but these more "turnkey" rigs are pretty compelling.

Thoughts/opinions? LOL I started almost 20 years ago and it was WAY different back in the day! I remember when freaking VHO was popular and there were all these weird pink/purple tanks with those! But metal halide was what you had to have if you wanted to be a baller! We weren't spoiled with this insane LED stuff back then!

bigtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2020, 10:18 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

A reef-ready tank means one that's got the downflow box and drilled holes for the return and inflow. It won't have a skimmer, heater, or other gear, (you can choose your brands) but the reef readys come in sizes probably down to 40. 50 is probably more common, and they go up in gallonage from there. The sump for a 50-90 is ideally about 30, and there's not much more a sump can do but have your skimmer and heater and return pump and downflow. Which a 30 can do. EShopps sump accommodates a double downflow, if you need it; otherwise just use one of the two holes. It's my perhaps erroneous notion that you wouldn't need too much more than a 30 for most anything until you get to truly mega-mega tanks.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2020, 10:26 PM   #3
bigtank
Premium Member

Right, I wasn't thinking of going with a very big sump with any of these tanks. Maybe enough to include a refugium along with the skimmer, heater, etc.

Unread 08/06/2020, 10:58 PM   #4
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I'm very happy with my Cadlights tank. I bought a 60g cube (artisan series, if I remember correctly) when I moved to AK and decided that putting a 120g + sump on the second story (main floor) of a rent house in an earthquake prone area was a bad idea. It was supposed to be a place holder until I could set up the 120g when I moved back to the lower 48, but that didn't last. Unfortunately, when I moved back to OK, my house didn't have a wall that made sense for a 4' tank. Luckily, I had a great 2' cube and a wall for it.
My Cadlights tank has been great and running for 4-5 years. The plumbing is metric, so that can be a bit of a pain if you have to mod it. I didn't. The skimmer also kind of sucks, IME. It'll run great for an hour or a week, then randomly overflow. I've been in the hobby since around 2007 and have never had a skimmer so unreliable. It's good when it's good, but it'll dump all of its 'good' back in your tank when it overflows at random. Maybe others have had better luck, but I ditched my skimmer. The tank/stand combo is great. I don't have a single complaint aside from the skimmer

I have no idea if it's better or worse than the others you listed, but it's been great for me. Mine came with the stand, tank, sump, skimmer, and return pump. The rest was on me.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2020, 10:29 PM   #5
bigtank
Premium Member

Thanks Cody. I guess I just need to do more research.

Unread 08/09/2020, 10:02 PM   #6
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

No problem. It's not the end all be all of tanks, but I'm happy with what I paid for what I got. You can save a lot of money with a more DIY solution and come out just as good as I did, but I wanted quick, clean and easy when I bought mine. I'm not sure I'd always go that route now, but it fit my situation then. If I started over tomorrow and picked a DIY solution it would be for cost, not quality.

I'm sure the same could be said for the other systems too. As with many things, once you get into the mid to upper tier of products, "best" is super subjective and problems are more case-by-case instead of systemic.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2020, 06:04 PM   #7
bigtank
Premium Member

I might just build a 40B the more I think about it. I really like that size and dimensions.

Unread 08/23/2020, 07:50 AM   #8
OneReef
Reef Guru

Waterbox makes some awesome complete systems, and they use Starphire glass on their tanks.

OneReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2020, 12:58 AM   #9
Tastee
Registered Member

I have a RSR250 and it’s a great tank. I have the v2 sump without a ‘fuge but the newer models have the refugium ready sump with a ‘fuge chamber (optional, has a removable baffle). I also have an RSR 525XL which also has the refugium ready sump and it is very well put together. The 250 sump is obviously a lot smaller however, so if you want that and want to use the ‘fuge, make sure the sump will fit everything you want. The Red Sea site has good schematics.

Another option I see lots of good comments about is the (Aussie) Cade tanks. They use an aluminium stand rather than a chipboard or plywood one. May be worth some research.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote