Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/13/2009, 02:17 PM   #301
Floridiot
Registered Member

Sanjay,

According to this thread: Thread that Grim just Posted, jamesdawson mentioned "Sanjay spoke at WMC 06 and showed data he had from a 24" teklight and it was roughly the same PAR as a 175 watt MH (I forget the specifics he had on the MH setup) from his testing."

Do you happen to have this info posted on the internet anywhere? I'd love to know the specifics of this.

Current Tank Info: 157 cube (42x36x24), mini BK200g2, Lumenarc stealth, Tunze Streams
Floridiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2009, 05:49 AM   #302
Sanjay
Premium Member

I have the data, but its not available on the internet anywhere. I am in the process of writing it up for a magazine. One of my projects for May/June :-)

sanjay.

Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2009, 10:05 AM   #303
JAustin
Acropora Nut

Sanjay, thanks for all you have done! I was wondering if you ever got the chance to check a Venture 400W SI 10K MH?

Thanks
Jason

Unread 07/07/2009, 05:02 PM   #304
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

Thanks for all the great information, I used your website to compare everything before I got it...I personally love the spectrum analysis of each combination.

Any chance you could test out the Sunlight Supply Galaxy electronic ballasts soon? I'd like to see how it stacks up against other electronic ballasts. I'm using the 400w version, and have been using the Icecap electronic - new as a comparable ballast.

65g - Radion XR30 G3 Pro x2 - Deltec SCA 1351 - APEX - Tunze - Vortech
t4zalews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2009, 06:05 PM   #305
Wolfgang
Registered Member

Hey Sanjay! SunAquatics?

Any idea what happened to SunAquatics? Really liked there 14K bulbs. Any Suggestions for a Replacement close in Color and Par?
TIA!
-Wolfgang

Current Tank Info: 75 gal Reef
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2009, 03:38 PM   #306
janes_mw
Registered Member

I currently have 2-250W Pheonix DE running on a Bluewave 7 ballast, in reef optix 3 reflectors. I was looking at the Ushios 14K's. Anybody have experience with these two bulbs. Over a 110 flat back which is 24 inches deep.

I currently run two VHO 110W Super Actinics (UV Lighting) with my Phonix. I really don't want to go any whiter than what I am running.

Any comments on this combo with the Pheonix vs Ushio??

thanks - Mike

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
janes_mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2009, 11:02 PM   #307
MADtanks
Stix Anyone?

wrong forum

Current Tank Info: 24X24X20 AIO SPS Dom
MADtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2009, 05:21 PM   #308
janes_mw
Registered Member

my bad - I thought Lighting forum was about lighting questions Guess I will ask on SPS forum. - mike

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
Unread 08/13/2009, 06:47 AM   #309
basestring
Registered Member

Hi,

I Posted this question before, but didn't get an answer so I try to place my question in this thread

I have a lamp hanging 15cm above my tank.
it has 2 white lamps I think 300Watt each then it has 4 blue lamps and 12 blue LED

the company that installed my aquarium has used this time table

Noon - 8PM - White light
8PM - midnight - Blue light
midnight - 6AM - LED
6AM - Noon - No light

My Electricity bill is getting much higher now and I changed the time table to:

2PM - 8PM - White light
midnight - 6AM - LED
6AM - 2PM - No light

I don't have any anemones or Coral yet because the water temperature is way to high. 34C. (around 94F.)
it soon will get cooler here in Beijing, so I won't need a chiller till next year
I've already spend enough this year

so is it really necessary to turn on those 2 big lamps without having anemones, and when having anemones, do I really need to supply 8 hours light?
or what is the best time schedule.

Cheers

Other Marine life:
1 Sabella Fusca tubeworm ,many Flame Polyps and Palythoa sp mushrooms, 1 Purple Plate Coral Short Tentacle, 1 Hammer/Anchor Coral Branching, 1 Elegance Coral, 1 light pink and 1 brown with white tube anemone, 1 colony purple Brain Coral, 1 small very colorful brain coral, 1 Golden carpet and 1 Purple sea anemone

Current Tank Info: 145g. Seawater tank
basestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2009, 07:37 PM   #310
janes_mw
Registered Member

don't ask here, ask somewhere else. Not sure where, but somebody will tell ya. It says lighting but somebody will tell ya to post elsewhere. Try SPS forum I guess. Too many that think they know too much to let us "un-informed" know. A little sarcastic but ya know, that is the way it is.

Unread 08/13/2009, 07:49 PM   #311
Henry Bowman
Reefing since '87

Quote:
Originally posted by basestring
Hi,

I Posted this question before, but didn't get an answer so I try to place my question in this thread

I have a lamp hanging 15cm above my tank.
it has 2 white lamps I think 300Watt each then it has 4 blue lamps and 12 blue LED

the company that installed my aquarium has used this time table

Noon - 8PM - White light
midnight - 6AM - LED
6AM - Noon - No light

My Electricity bill is getting much higher now and I changed the time table to:

2PM - 8PM - White light
midnight - 6AM - LED
6AM - 2PM - No light

I don't have any anemones or Coral yet because the water temperature is way to high. 34C. (around 94F.)
it soon will get cooler here in Beijing, so I won't need a chiller till next year
I've already spend enough this year

so is it really necessary to turn on those 2 big lamps without having anemones, and when having anemones, do I really need to supply 8 hours light?
or what is the best time schedule.

Cheers
With no photosynthetic corals or aquatic light in your tank, you can reduce the lighting schedule to what you'd like to reduce your electric bill.

The above post is correct. You will probably get more responses in the lighting filtration...equipment forum.

Current Tank Info: 90 gl SPS dominant / upgrade in the works
Henry Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2009, 05:09 PM   #312
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

How high to hang my fixture?

My new tank is 48x20x22 inside diams. Mostly sps & clams 1/2 way down or lower from top of tank.

I have 1 dual hamilton reef-star 400 watt MH fixture with 2 Hamilton 20k bulbs. At this time, the bottom of the fixture is 8.5 inches from water surface. What do you think? higher? Lower?

Thanks!
Ralph

Unread 08/16/2009, 05:59 PM   #313
Henry Bowman
Reefing since '87

Ralph.. With that much light. You're good where you are. Lower it and your fish / corals are going to need sunglasses.

Current Tank Info: 90 gl SPS dominant / upgrade in the works
Henry Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2009, 06:05 PM   #314
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Thanks! That's what I thought!

Unread 08/28/2009, 04:24 AM   #315
Zoanut
Registered Member

Hey Sanjay I remember seeing a post you had with the PAR ratings for different bulb and ballast combos but I can't find it now, do you still have that data? I have looked at the articles on your homepage but those aren't the ones I was looking for. I am looking for the best 250w SE bulbs to go with my Icecap ballasts.

Last edited by Zoanut; 08/28/2009 at 04:38 AM.
Zoanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2009, 07:08 AM   #316
xabo
Registered Member

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/articles.htm

xabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2009, 07:29 AM   #317
onetrickpony
Premium Member

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting

onetrickpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2009, 02:05 PM   #318
Zoanut
Registered Member

Thanks onetrickpony thats the info I was looking for.

Zoanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2009, 08:32 AM   #319
NeilFox
Registered Member

Hello All

I live in a remote part of the the world so I am greatly limited by distance and logistics. I am going with a 3m x 700mm deep x 1 metre wide tank. I can't afford to ship a full canopy so I must build my own. BTW shipping a Giesemann canopy after customs is nearly 2K US. I am going to use 5 Dynavision pulse start ballastst and I am thinking of a combination of 3 Ushio Aqualites @ 14K along with two Geisemann 12.5k's.. Lamps are light and they are reletively painless to ship, I plan on ordering double. The question I have is regarding reflectors. These are single ended lamps. No plan for supplemental actinic lighting for now, these are also correctly designated for pulse start ballasts. I don't like the idea of overdriving a 400w lamp as there have been some catastrophic failures, furthermore it seems unwise (unless I am missing something) to apply a pulse start electronic ballast to a probe start lamp? Question? What reflectors would you recommend and "Importantly" will they ship overseas?

Any input would be appreciated.

Apologize if I poached the post!!
Best Regards to All

Current Tank Info: 6.25 gal Nano, 40 gal SPS
NeilFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2009, 10:13 PM   #320
dickenscd
Registered Member

Please Post A Picture of Your Tank

at the following thread if you have a tank with LED lighting.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1639666

James

dickenscd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2009, 09:05 AM   #321
AquariumGuy
Registered Member

Your post is in violation of the terms and conditions of use of this web site and has been edited. Further violations will result in revocation of your posting privileges.

Last edited by dc; 09/14/2009 at 09:44 AM.
AquariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2009, 07:36 PM   #322
rguyler
Registered Member

Sanjay, I have to believe you get pounded with requests to test this or that bulb. Do you have it in your plans to test out the Plusrite bulbs? I've been seeing quite a bit of talk about them since their price is much lower and with this economy the way it is...well, you know...saving money is good.

I've heard good things about these $20 bulbs, enough to try them myself on my FO tank and frankly, I think the visual light output (14k, 175W) is excellent. However there are questions about PAR, which I can't answer so wanted to ask you to please consider putting these on your radar screen.

Thank you for everything you do!

Current Tank Info: 120G Reef - AI Hydra 26HD lighting, AquaC Skimmer, Reeflo Blackfin Pump, Gyre XF250 Dual Pumps, Aqua Medic Dosing Alk/Ca/Mg & Vinegar, HydroFill Ti ATO, Basement Sump w/Refugium and Kessil 160 Blue Lights
rguyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2009, 08:44 AM   #323
ERICinFL
Rejisturd Mimbur

Yes, I'd appreciate some data on the Plusrite bulbs as well.

Sorry kids, your college fund is gone, but the tank looks SWEET right?

Current Tank Info: 150gal mixed reef. ER CS135, 65gal sump/fuge with a Mag12 return. (2) Korillia 4s, (1) modded MJ1200, two SunSun 3200gph powerheads. 250+lbs LR.
ERICinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2009, 07:19 PM   #324
reefcolors
Registered Member

Beginning to be alot of talk about these bulbs. I'm sure alot of people would really appreciate your input on these bulbs. Thanks

reefcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2009, 08:31 PM   #325
Sanjay
Premium Member

Have them send me the lamps, and I'll test them the next time I am scheduled to run tests.

sanjay.

Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led aquarium light