Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2007, 08:59 PM   #26
The_Wonderboy
Moved On

Nice, has lots of potential.

You might add some C serrulata for a foreground weed.
Or Halophia etc if you can get it, the Caulpera ser is easy.

Funny... I just picked up a small free portion when I got the pipefish - I didn't know what it was, but now I do.

Be careful, as the biomass increases, so will growth rate and demand for nutrients, particularly Fe and NO3(2-3X a week). PO4 should be kept below 0.5, ideally less than 0.2 ppm and pulsed 1x a week or so.

Thankyou for this info!

One thing you need A LOT MORE OF: CURRENT

These plants live in areas with far more energy than anything if the FW tanks.

Will the plants start to die if there is not enough flow? Also, I have powder snad in there - this stuff is EASILY tossed... Is a fluval 405 (225 gph) and 2 koralia 1s (800 gph) not enough. This comes out to turn the tank over 17 times a hour - what would you recomend the turnover rate to be? Coming from you, if I NEED more, I will put more flow in there.

Keep up on the KH and the Ca.

Got it!

You need to get rid of the less desirable green hair algae in there, toothbrush etc. Keep the tank clean(2-3x a week).

I'll debate that - the extra green doesn't bother me - is there a bad side of leaving it - it is at bay (on the downfall actually) the other macros are seeming to drown it out slowly...

Thank you for your help Tom!

The_Wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2007, 10:50 AM   #27
Plantbrain
Registered Member

I'd ditch the fluval personally, go a Wet/dry type sump.
You spent a fair amount for the set up, adding a CPR type over flow etc or similar and a 20 gallon tank with a Wet/dry box might help.

It will maintain the water level and keep the ADA tank looking nice over time. Maybe a 400-500GPH flow.
The other add on option is getting an Ocean clear canister filter to remove the particulate waste. You would add this post sump and maybe add a UV, say 18 watt, right after that.

The powerheads are good and about right.
Good aeration and mist bubbles inside the tank will help growth.

This can be added via a wave maker type set up also, so you get a mist every 2-5 minutes etc.

The current and mist helps to detach noxious epiphytic algae that will attach in low current areas and tanks. You can see this in natural environments and also measure the energy both there as well as in the lab.

Boundary layer formation occurs a lot more as density and biomass increase(90% more inside the plant beds), so pruning or management of current becomes issues.

You have a good goal and presentation for this tank, it would be nice to see it really flourish.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2007, 02:03 PM   #28
The_Wonderboy
Moved On

I will look into the sump idea - I've done several tanks with them before and always loved them, but something was in the way of it happenning for the ADA... I'll figure it out. I already have a uv sterilizer on there - it's a 36 W. I have a very nice amount of aeration at the surface - lots of surface disruption. All the algae pearls like soda all day, so I know they're photosynthesising well... I will definetly try to get another powerhead going to avoid epiphytic algae - would another powerhead do it - koralia 2? 3? Thanks!

Unread 10/27/2007, 11:10 PM   #29
Alentino
Registered Member

Hi Wonderboy, great planted tank ya have there. Just wondering, are those two J-shaped tubes running down from the left side of your tank the overflows? can you teach me how to set it up correctly? Thanks.

Unread 10/28/2007, 11:45 PM   #30
The_Wonderboy
Moved On

Those are not overflows - they are glass intake and return lines for a canister filter. You might want to dabble in the equipment section to learn about sump/refugium filteration.

Unread 10/29/2007, 11:38 AM   #31
mosthated00
Registered Member

Love this tank! awsome!
i think more people will be doing planted tanks in the coming up year or two.
more poeple are adding refuge's now and seeing the looks of it!

mosthated00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2007, 06:03 PM   #32
The_Wonderboy
Moved On

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

Full tank shot:

Left Side:

Right side:

And, yes, I did add two ocellaris clowns

Unread 01/29/2008, 11:47 PM   #33
The_Wonderboy
Moved On

Been a while...

...Update time : )

That's the tank as of NOW. Woo. What do ya think?

Unread 01/30/2008, 10:11 PM   #34
1swtlx
Registered Member

Normally I'm a SPS tank fanatic. I drool over those established tanks more than any other. Your Macro algae tank is right up there with them!
Awsome job.

1swtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2008, 09:25 AM   #35
therman
biodiversity enthusiast

Very nice tank! Makes me want to set up a nice viewable fuge.
-Tim

Current Tank Info: 65g mixed display 100g rubbermaid sump/prop tank, 20g refugium, 100g half cube rimless acro display, 3x 100-180g prop tanks. All powered by LED.
therman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2008, 01:14 PM   #36
bottlecapp09
Registered Member

Beautiful you have inspired me to create a tank similar to yours. Great looking tank good work.

bottlecapp09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2008, 12:39 PM   #37
The_Wonderboy
Moved On

Update!
Here's some recent pictures I just wanted to share:

Unread 02/14/2008, 01:11 PM   #38
worlds under
Registered Member

WoW your doing great.

[url=http://www.marineplantedtanks.com/forum/][img]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1962/1001936aa5.jpg[/img][/url]

Current Tank Info: what day is it???
worlds under is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2008, 02:54 PM   #39
Jadams
Registered Member

awesome tank!

Unread 02/14/2008, 08:19 PM   #40
sunfishh
Registered Member

The_Wonderboy I love your tank

Unread 02/18/2008, 05:07 PM   #41
ReefGeekCanada
Registered Member

looks like the Caulerpa Floridana grows the slowest.
What do you think?
What happened to those red species you had way back, I don't see any in the aquascape?
Do you need detectable nitrate and phosphate for healthy growth?

ReefGeekCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2008, 08:21 PM   #42
worlds under
Registered Member

update...................ppppppppppplllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[url=http://www.marineplantedtanks.com/forum/][img]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1962/1001936aa5.jpg[/img][/url]

Current Tank Info: what day is it???

Last edited by worlds under; 02/19/2008 at 08:32 PM.
worlds under is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2008, 12:02 AM   #43
TwentyTwenty
Registered Member

Wow, beautiful tank. How often do you have to prune your algae? Also, how do your fish do in this type of tank ?

TwentyTwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2008, 06:04 AM   #44
Kolognekoral
Registered Member.

Very beautiful! You are having great success with Halimeda, I see. I lost all of mine for an unknown reason. My DSB refugium is similar to your tank, just a bit wilder as its main function is PO4 reduction. Chaetomorpha is dominant followed by C. taxifolia. A few interesting reds and turtle grass complete the pictue. I have a pair of Trimma rubromaculatus and Pseudojuloides cerasinus, along with a few shirmps and lots of 'extras'. This is definitely the most fascinating tank I run and would highly recommend such an adjunct to any reef.

Love the giant barnacles! By the way, the needle fish is D. pessuliferus. I had a pair that spawned every 10 days of so. Lost them to an unknown cause. Plan to find another pair. Great fish!

Keep us all posted! What are your water quality parameters?

Current Tank Info: 1000l dual-tank w/sump, Vertex Pro-Bio Pellets reef; VERTEX Illumina SR260 LED+Red light, Vertex Alpha 250 skimmer
Kolognekoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2008, 01:52 AM   #45
The_Wonderboy
Moved On

"looks like the Caulerpa Floridana grows the slowest.
What do you think?"

Actually it grows just as quick as any other caulerpa species - it just decides to randomly die off in certain sections and grow in other directions...

---------------------------------------------

"What happened to those red species you had way back, I don't see any in the aquascape?"

Any red species that go into my tank end up turning green and then clear - and then they die ...I believe it is either a lighting problem or an iron deficiency.

"Do you need detectable nitrate and phosphate for healthy growth?"

No. I have never seen a reading in any of my tests...

"Wow, beautiful tank. How often do you have to prune your algae? Also, how do your fish do in this type of tank?"

Thanks. I prune about once a week or so. The fish seem to do great - I went with a bunch of small, peaceful fish, so I really don't see any aggression - besides the shrimp gobies warning others to stay away from their hole :] And all the fish aren't shy being no larger fish in the tank, so in one sitting, you will see ALL of the inhabitants.

"What are your water quality parameters?"

The past times I've checked - nothing registered (nitrates, phosphates, etc.) but I will check again Saturday or Sunday and post 'em up here :]

----------------------------------------------

I will be able to update everyone with new pictures this Sunday :] Do you want to see more full tank shots - setup shots - or inhabitant shots?

Unread 02/21/2008, 03:07 AM   #46
Kolognekoral
Registered Member.

Are you using an iodine supplement? This may be required by the red macros. I add two drops of Elos iodine spplement daily to 300l/80G. Generally, the one red I have grows slowly unless there is a constant influx of nutrients. Also, mine prefers middle strength lighting, not so high as with Caulerpa. I get the feeling certain algaes need a matured tank to do well. Whether this is from a build-up of certain elements or simply a nutrient problem, I have no idea. Generally speaking, some NO3 and PO4 are good for the algaes. I try to maintain 1ppm NO3 and 0.02 ppm PO4 to keep things healthy, which is not difficult with my larger fish. Actually, my macros are the main PO4 reducer for the main reef.

Current Tank Info: 1000l dual-tank w/sump, Vertex Pro-Bio Pellets reef; VERTEX Illumina SR260 LED+Red light, Vertex Alpha 250 skimmer
Kolognekoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2008, 01:50 PM   #47
TwentyTwenty
Registered Member

Just keep doing what you have been doing. Your pictures are great. I kind of like full tank shots of your set-up. You really can appreciate the beauty of it.

TwentyTwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2008, 02:57 PM   #48
The_Wonderboy
Moved On

The only thing I dose with is B-Ionic 2-Part calcium buffer - everything seems to do well, so I don't think I'll be playing with any other chemicals or supplements until the tank is well established. Pictures Sunday :]

Unread 02/21/2008, 08:25 PM   #49
dzeadow
Premium Member

I love the natural look to this tank!! I just re-did my rock work so I could get a better layout for some macro... now I have to find somewhere that sells different kinds so I don't get hosed on shipping! Most places are sold out now...probably due to weather? Nice tank though, you've inspired me to do a planted marine aquascape!

Current Tank Info: Dual 50 Breeder system, 30g custom sump/fuge, MSX200, Tank1-6x24T5 retro, Tank2-4x39T5 retro
dzeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2008, 06:45 PM   #50
audio101
Moved On

Man your tank is awesome! Great job.

Do you have sell macro algae plants when you trim the plants down?

audio101 is offline   Reply With Quote