Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2016, 04:31 AM   #1
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Outdoor Frag Tank in So Cal - Looking Good

I haven't posted in this forum in a long time. I have been super motivated to clean up the frag tank and been having fun with it.

This video the focus was on the angels, but if you are patient I show off the corals.

This tank is outside and uncovered in the sunlight. At night I have a single 30w landscape light LED in blue that just puts out some light so i can see the corals at night.

This video was shot around 5pm tonight. The tank was in the shade of the house at this point. There is absolutely no supplemental light and no editing of the video.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2016, 05:41 AM   #2
Tangyy
Registered Member

Hey mate! I am a newb, and I was curious to know how to begin a new thread for example this one that you created! May I also ask how much you believe this acan is worth? It is approx 7-8cm long! Here's a link to the acan! Thanks in advance!

https://www.facebook.com/100percentr...type=3&theater

Tangyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2016, 10:07 PM   #3
saltydog07
Registered Member

Do you have to run a chiller on this tank?

saltydog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2016, 03:03 PM   #4
kutcha
Registered Member

what is the growth/color like on the corals?

kutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2016, 03:13 PM   #5
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog07 View Post
Do you have to run a chiller on this tank?
The frag tank is connected to my entire system. All 1100g is kept cool in the heat of the summer using evaporative cooling with 2 cheap box fans.

Dave B

Unread 06/12/2016, 03:16 PM   #6
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutcha View Post
what is the growth/color like on the corals?
The frag tank is the same water as my display tank. They are all connected. The same coral outside in sunlight grows 3-5x faster than the coral inside. Same water parameters just sunlight vs tank light.

The colors on most things are much better outside. You don't realize it during the day because the blue isn't overpowering like in our reef tanks.

But in the daytime most of the corals outside have good color. At night under an actinic flash light - the Colors are as good as you have ever seen without a photoshop tweak.

Dave B

Unread 06/12/2016, 03:25 PM   #7
kutcha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
The frag tank is the same water as my display tank. They are all connected. The same coral outside in sunlight grows 3-5x faster than the coral inside. Same water parameters just sunlight vs tank light.

The colors on most things are much better outside. You don't realize it during the day because the blue isn't overpowering like in our reef tanks.

But in the daytime most of the corals outside have good color. At night under an actinic flash light - the Colors are as good as you have ever seen without a photoshop tweak.

Dave B
that is awesome thank you. So with the frag tank outside do you have to run heaters on the tank at all or just the chiller?

kutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2016, 08:35 PM   #8
jccaclimber
Registered Member

On the subject of cooling, do you know how much is evaporating per week, and what sort of temperature deta are you seeing? It's nice to hear these are coloring well under natural light.

jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2016, 01:32 AM   #9
jbvdhp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
On the subject of cooling, do you know how much is evaporating per week, and what sort of temperature deta are you seeing? It's nice to hear these are coloring well under natural light.

I think he said like 50 gallons per day or something insane like that. I could be wrong

Sent using your IP address

Current Tank Info: 8' 240 gallons of headache
jbvdhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2016, 08:16 AM   #10
dz6t
Registered Member

Very nice!
Do you happen to know what is the par value at noon? Thanks

dz6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2016, 11:16 AM   #11
o2manyfish
Registered Member

JCCAClimber,

The whole system is monitored by an Apex. Yesterday we had a killer heat wave. My back yard in the shade was 111 to 95 from noon till 9pm last night.

The system was the warmest it has been in the last 4 years and went up to 82 for maybe 90 minutes.

From my Apex log it appears that my Topoff system ran for about 80 minutes yesterday. My RO system is a custom 7 stage with dual 150gpd membranes and is connected to a Smartbuddie booster (If you have an RO you need a SmartBuddie!). So my guess is yesterday the evaporation was around 55 to 60 gallons.

DZT,

We played with a PAR meter 10+ years ago. I don't remember the exact values but they were really high. I'm not sure it's worth getting the Apex PAR meter to watch that.

Dave B

Unread 06/29/2016, 09:12 PM   #12
bfrench
Registered Member

Wish I could do this in Texas

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2016, 09:21 AM   #13
AHA
Registered Member

I'm tempted to try.

AHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2016, 08:43 AM   #14
E.litvin
Registered Member

This is awesome, something Ive always wanted to do. How is salinity affected when it rains?

E.litvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 10:23 AM   #15
Steveb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
I haven't posted in this forum in a long time. I have been super motivated to clean up the frag tank and been having fun with it.

This video the focus was on the angels, but if you are patient I show off the corals.

This tank is outside and uncovered in the sunlight. At night I have a single 30w landscape light LED in blue that just puts out some light so i can see the corals at night.

This video was shot around 5pm tonight. The tank was in the shade of the house at this point. There is absolutely no supplemental light and no editing of the video.

Dave B

So..... jealous.... if I tried that where I live it would be coral soup... our pool is 92 right now.. looks great though!

My Tanks
50x30 ABS Tub & a 48x24 frag tank at the moment
Steve's Reef 265 Build In Progress
Steveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 12:15 PM   #16
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Depending on where you are in Texas, you might be able to do this.

I live in one of the hottest parts of Southern Cali. For the past 3 weeks the coolest day we have had is maybe 89. And we had a 4 day run at 105+

When the temp gets over 102, then the frag tank will rise up to 83. I picked up an Easy Up tent, and set that over the tank for the couple of days when its 110 and then system dropped back to maxing out at 80.1

Evaporative cooling (just blowing air across the surface) is an extremely effective and efficient way of cooling.

This past week it hasn't been less than 98 and several days in the 100's. The highest temp on the system was 80.3. At 80.3 I have 1100 gallons being cooled using 2 ($20) box fans and one Vornado type fan (over the display tank) - I think the Box fans only use like 24watts each, the Vornado type maybe uses 35w. 1100 gallons kept cool on less than 100watts.

Being in So Cal the evaporative cooling is effective because we have such low humidity.

Find yourself a spare tank 40-60g and setup outside with a fan over it and monitor the temp. I think you would be surprised what you might be able to pull off.

Dave

Unread 07/30/2016, 02:50 PM   #17
Steveb
Registered Member

humidity is what is going to kill it... I'm in Houston. Walk out the front door and shirt is drenched before I reach the end of the sidewalk. It would still be worth a try though..I have spare tanks and some 70g tubs, just have to convince my wife that is a good idea to setup a tank on her outdoor table...

Oh I just read your systems are all connected... thats a great idea... Now I'm gonna want to use a core bit to open up two 1.5" holes in the brick...

Would be interested to hear what you do for rain... the other thing I would have to worry about is the county mosquito foggers that run around at midnight...

My Tanks
50x30 ABS Tub & a 48x24 frag tank at the moment
Steve's Reef 265 Build In Progress

Last edited by Steveb; 07/30/2016 at 03:08 PM.
Steveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2016, 12:13 AM   #18
Gone Tidepoolin
Registered Member

Outside tank

Question- Do you have any type of mesh or cover on this to keep junk out?

Gone Tidepoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2016, 05:47 AM   #19
louscal
Registered Member

Very cool wish I could do this where I live but not a shot in ny

louscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2016, 05:19 PM   #20
C.Eymann
Cnidaria lover

Awesome videos and set up, Im going to jump on the geographically jealous train too. Couldn't do this where I live either.

How is the growth in your opinion in this tank vs indoor captive lighting? this is attached to your main indoor system I presume?

Current Tank Info: 80gal build in the works
C.Eymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2016, 09:38 AM   #21
JonezNReef
Registered Member

During the winter months what are the average temps outside?

JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2016, 07:05 AM   #22
TX_UltraReef
Registered Member

Love this idea and been enjoying the videos, thanks. I have dreams of doing something like this with the help of a greenhouse (maybe with a roof that opens) in southern colorado. My place has 300 day of sunshine a year and good temps...until winter anyway. But I think it might be easier to warm the water than to cool it.

TX_UltraReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2016, 05:37 PM   #23
Reefer525XL
Registered Member

Not sure if this has been asked before but what do you do when it rains?

Reefer525XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2016, 08:00 PM   #24
WilRams
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affordable_Reef View Post
Not sure if this has been asked before but what do you do when it rains?
This is my biggest question too.

This is very cool props!

WilRams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2016, 08:08 PM   #25
jccaclimber
Registered Member

I'll let the OP speak for himself, but I doubt it makes a huge difference. I don't know the surface area of his frag tank, but even an inch or two over that area seems like it would vanish in a system of that volume. If he really is evaporating 50 GPD as an earlier post implied, that would be less than 1 days swing if the ATO stopped.

jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote