Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2016, 09:20 PM   #1
Fabuis
Registered Member

PVC Cement

I cemented my pvc 2 days ago and it still smells like the cemet. When will it be ready for my tank?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Fabuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 02:17 AM   #2
SGT_York
Registered Member

When it is rock hard. Run your setup in freshwater to test it out before adding salt.

Check for leaks, silence and function then drain and you're set.

SGT_York is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 04:01 AM   #3
Bluefish9
Registered Member

I find that the odor can hang around INSIDE the pipes since air gets trapped in them until you first run water through them. When I built my mixing station, the pvc cement was dry for a week before I tried the system out and as that first blast of water came through the hose... A shot of air that wreaked of solvent came with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluefish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2016, 10:24 AM   #4
LXXero
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefish9 View Post
I find that the odor can hang around INSIDE the pipes since air gets trapped in them until you first run water through them. When I built my mixing station, the pvc cement was dry for a week before I tried the system out and as that first blast of water came through the hose... A shot of air that wreaked of solvent came with it.

Totally.

I've smelled PVC cement WEEKS later inside pipes. They really do need to be aired out and/or have water through them to get that smell to go... I've blown fans at my pipes before to get it to clear faster.

However, in my experience, PVC cement is usually harmless, and the smell doesn't matter as long as it's cured. Even if you drip PVC cement right into tank water, it usually just turns into film that you can pick off the surface, lol. Not that I suggest doing this, but, i wouldn't worry about it if it's been more than 48 hours. That's enough to cure PVC on like a 4" pipe, haha. On pipes less than 2", you rarely need to wait more than 12-24 hours before use. I've used 1/2 - 3/4 stuff within 30 minutes, when making DIY python type stuff.

Mind you, I don't usually use primer, and slop on a TON of glue, so it's no wonder the smell can linger a bit longer when doing that! I usually shove some paper towels into the fittings and clean up any excess.

LXXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2016, 11:07 AM   #5
Bluefish9
Registered Member

Same here!

Bluefish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2016, 11:35 AM   #6
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

Man you guys wait a long time. For drains I wait about 5 minutes, for supply I wait maybe 30 min after gluing to turn it on.

Hell if you get the blue glue you can use it while the water is running.

Learned there is no need to wait from a maintenance guy I worked with and have been doing it for 15 years. There is no reason to wait 2 days at all.

EnderG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2016, 12:11 PM   #7
uncleof6
Registered Member

Nothing gives better advice and/or information, than the actual instructions for a particular product. It simply eliminates ambiguity, and anecdote. IPS is one of the more common brands, but instructions for others will be the same, or very similar.

http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/bsc/.../Exhibit12.pdf

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2016, 01:29 PM   #8
reef thief
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleof6 View Post
Nothing gives better advice and/or information, than the actual instructions for a particular product. It simply eliminates ambiguity, and anecdote. IPS is one of the more common brands, but instructions for others will be the same, or very similar.
Just do what the TM tells you to.

Current Tank Info: 120 G glass
reef thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2016, 01:35 PM   #9
Fabuis
Registered Member

thank you

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Fabuis is offline   Reply With Quote