Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/13/2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Milad
Moved On

How do you make your LED fixture look "sexy"

im working on a 72inch LED fixture with 144 LEDs and im trying to make it look "sexy". Ive seen people drill holes to hide wires but i want to hide the aluminum too. Currently my design has 144 holes in black plexi that will cover the wires and have the LEDs flush against the plexi but i got a feeling drilling 144 in the correct spots is going to be tricky.

to do this, I was going to use sketchup, lay all the LEDs out on my fixture, then print it on a plotter, tape it to the aluminium U channels, drill where im suppose to have holes for the screws, then do another print and tape it to the black plexi and drill where im suppose to have leds. seems like there could be some human error.

so how does everyone hide their wires and aluminium to make the fixture sexy. This fixture is open air, no canopy.

ill post my sketchup models onces i tweak them a bit.

Milad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2010, 11:35 PM   #2
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

if you have a drill press you can offset it for each row and either measure for each hole or make up some "sticks" that you can use for measurements and install each longest stick for each hole then offset it to the next line . yes without a drill press it will be difficult and you may be able to find a woodworker or contractor that can drill the holes accurately for you .
im a bit to far from you but i could do it for you in an hour or so . i think your best bet would be to bite the bullet and have someone qualified do it for you as it really is just a matter of the right tools .

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Milad
Moved On

im just thinking how do i line up both the plexi and the screw holes for the LEDs onto the aluminium u channel. what your suggesting assumes i screwed the LEDs in accurately.

Milad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2010, 05:24 PM   #4
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

okay sorry

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2010, 05:43 PM   #5
kcress
Registered Member

You build a nice box around the fixture. Recess a splash shield up inside and make sure you have lots of ventilation.

kcress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2010, 06:13 PM   #6
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

Build it into an AGA fluoro strip light box. Nothing is as sexy as a nice faux-woodgrain finish AGA fluorescent hood

couldnt help myself

widmer is offline   Reply With Quote