Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/10/2014, 12:54 PM   #1
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Question Going to Maui in December - What Will We See

Hey guys,

We're going to Maui for 7 days at the beginning of December and staying at the Ritz. Heard there was a decent snorkeling spot right in front of the hotel.

Anyway...

I really wanted to see some Achilles Tangs, but heard they are more common in Oahu.

What are the chances of seeing Achilles around Maui?

Also, any chance to see Chevrons or Crosshatch Triggers? I know the Crosshatches are more deep water though.

I've never seen a scuba/snorkeling picture of a Chevron though... maybe just hard to tell if they are their adult colors???

Thanks

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2014, 07:29 AM   #2
wav0718
Registered Member

http://youtu.be/ggexyUkWTWA

Current Tank Info: custom cube
wav0718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2014, 08:32 AM   #3
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Awesome video Wes

Which spots did you think were the best?

Any Achilles sightings?

Unread 09/11/2014, 11:24 PM   #4
wav0718
Registered Member

Thanks. I would skip on the whale watching tour and just do the snorkeling at molokini crater. I saw some achilles there close to the wall. You might get lucky and see some dolphins, whale sharks or whales on the way there.

http://youtu.be/yl5k7ZngR14

Unread 09/12/2014, 10:30 AM   #5
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Best place for Achilles is the shallow wave swept water, right in the surge. Most snorkeling ops get very nervous and don't like you in those spots....easy to get knocked into the rocks and cut up a bit or sea urchins spines jammed into you. IMO a small price to pay to see them in their natural habitat. Cross hatch your not to likely to see snorkeling, though not impossible. Cheveron tangs are not that common, so just keep your eyes open.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2014, 10:37 AM   #6
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wav0718 View Post
Thanks. I would skip on the whale watching tour and just do the snorkeling at molokini crater. I saw some achilles there close to the wall. You might get lucky and see some dolphins, whale sharks or whales on the way there.

Great Wes thanks

We were going to check out Molokini as well

What's "the wall"... sorry never been before

Unread 09/12/2014, 10:39 AM   #7
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsreef View Post
Best place for Achilles is the shallow wave swept water, right in the surge. Most snorkeling ops get very nervous and don't like you in those spots....easy to get knocked into the rocks and cut up a bit or sea urchins spines jammed into you. IMO a small price to pay to see them in their natural habitat. Cross hatch your not to likely to see snorkeling, though not impossible. Cheveron tangs are not that common, so just keep your eyes open.
Thanks Bill, do you have you beach of reef names in Maui that are good to check out?

I know some collectors in Oahu and they say Crosshatches are very deep water fish. Also with how often Chevrons do not show up on their lists, I guess they are:

a) Very rare

or

b) Just mostly in adult coloration, which doesn't seem to be popular with reef keepers...

Unread 09/12/2014, 11:13 AM   #8
NTP66
Registered Member

The only problem you may have is that December is winter in Maui, and the surf really kicks up on the western coast near where you're staying. That being said, you really have to play it by ear. If you book a snorkel tour (I highly recommend Trilogy; been on a number of their trips, and they've been fantastic), they will always have backup spots if their main target isn't ideal.

You've got Honolua Bay - my personal favorite - nearby, as well as Black Rock. You'll see anything and everything in either of those spots, including many Achilles Tangs. I've never snorkeled in Maui and NOT seen many of them. If you decide to venture out a little further, you can take a day trip to Lana'i and snorkel Hulopo'e Bay, where you'll see yellow tangs the size of dinner plates (among other things).

I've only ever seen a few Crosshatches in Maui, but they're certainly there (most are in much deeper water). Chances are, you'll see more pink tailed triggers and rectangle triggers than any of the others.

Current Tank Info: 90g FOWLR, Reef Octopus NWB-150 skimmer, MP40wES x2, Eheim 1260 return, BuildMyLED 20,000k XB LEDs, Apex Jr.
NTP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2014, 11:26 AM   #9
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuxx View Post
Thanks Bill, do you have you beach of reef names in Maui that are good to check out?
Pretty much anyplace you get in the water is good. Hanakao'o Beach Park, by the cemetery, is where a large Domino Damsel bit me...and drew blood Out by Makena is Turtle Town/5 caves, good place for turtles.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2014, 11:30 AM   #10
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Pretty much anyplace you get in the water is good. Hanakao'o Beach Park, by the cemetery, is where a large Domino Damsel bit me...and drew blood Out by Makena is Turtle Town/5 caves, good place for turtles.

Will add to the list

Being in the water is the main reason I want to

Unread 09/12/2014, 11:33 AM   #11
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTP66 View Post
The only problem you may have is that December is winter in Maui, and the surf really kicks up on the western coast near where you're staying. That being said, you really have to play it by ear. If you book a snorkel tour (I highly recommend Trilogy; been on a number of their trips, and they've been fantastic), they will always have backup spots if their main target isn't ideal.

You've got Honolua Bay - my personal favorite - nearby, as well as Black Rock. You'll see anything and everything in either of those spots, including many Achilles Tangs. I've never snorkeled in Maui and NOT seen many of them. If you decide to venture out a little further, you can take a day trip to Lana'i and snorkel Hulopo'e Bay, where you'll see yellow tangs the size of dinner plates (among other things).

I've only ever seen a few Crosshatches in Maui, but they're certainly there (most are in much deeper water). Chances are, you'll see more pink tailed triggers and rectangle triggers than any of the others.
Thanks so much

Got tons of stuff to look into now.

Been all over the Caribbean, but have never kept any fish from that area. So it'll be interesting to see things I've kept and want to keep in Hawaii

Unread 09/12/2014, 11:34 AM   #12
NTP66
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks so much

Got tons of stuff to look into now.

Been all over the Caribbean, but have never kept any fish from that area. So it'll be interesting to see things I've kept and want to keep in Hawaii
I wanted to keep the entire island of Maui (my favorite place on Earth), but it wouldn't fit into the overhead compartment on the plane home.

Current Tank Info: 90g FOWLR, Reef Octopus NWB-150 skimmer, MP40wES x2, Eheim 1260 return, BuildMyLED 20,000k XB LEDs, Apex Jr.
Unread 09/12/2014, 12:41 PM   #13
Reefers4U
Registered Member

I dove with Lahaina divers for most of my dives in Maui - very professional outfit. Saw some awesome stuff with them and they took me on an awesome hammerhead dive - check out the cathedrals if you can too.

Also did a beach dive where I saw a whole school of Chevrons spawning - this was in August tho so like others have said you are going in the winter months not sure how its going to be.

For a good beach dive guy check out ShakaDoug - you can google him.

Have fun and take some pics so we can enjoy too!

Current Tank Info: 120 Visio // Radions // Eschopps Skimmer // MP40 x2 // Tunze ATO // BRS Dosing Pumps and Dual Reactor // Apex Gold //
Reefers4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2014, 01:36 PM   #14
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Awesome to see Chevrons spawning

I'll check out all the suggestions!

We're hoping they release a new GoPro model in the fall. If not we'll pick up a current generation.

Unread 09/12/2014, 04:55 PM   #15
Larz_1
Registered Member

Quote:
I wanted to keep the entire island of Maui (my favorite place on Earth), but it wouldn't fit into the overhead compartment on the plane home.
+1
Been to Maui many times (and Kauai, and the Big Island) and it's ALWAYS hard to leave.
We just went to Kauai again in July and we miss it already.

Quote:
You've got Honolua Bay - my personal favorite - nearby, as well as Black Rock. You'll see anything and everything in either of those spots, including many Achilles Tangs. I've never snorkeled in Maui and NOT seen many of them.
Yep, Honolua Bay and Black Rock are two "Don't miss" spots. The current around Black Rock can be strong (maybe more-so in winter) so use good judgement.

For when you are not snorkeling .... the Road to Hana is a beautiful drive that you should see at least once. Nice way to spend a day - lots to see.

Have fun and enjoy!!!!

Larz_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2014, 04:34 AM   #16
wav0718
Registered Member

Quote:
Great Wes thanks

We were going to check out Molokini as well

What's "the wall"... sorry never been before
What Bill was talking about, where the surge happens in molokini, you can see it in the second video link i provided with some achilles tangs hanging around the rock face.

sorry, i know the video is hard to watch with the fisheye and shakiness.

Unread 09/15/2014, 11:33 AM   #17
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wav0718 View Post
What Bill was talking about, where the surge happens in molokini, you can see it in the second video link i provided with some achilles tangs hanging around the rock face.

sorry, i know the video is hard to watch with the fisheye and shakiness.
Awesome

Just bought two GoPros

Unread 09/17/2014, 08:47 AM   #18
marinemanohio
Registered Member

There is a little spot called Black Rock in Maui. If you ask around, you can find it. I saw a whole horde of Achilles tangs out there and I was only snorkeling! If you stand on the beach under the tree line, you will see a rock poking out of the water out and to the left. Maybe 50 yards or so. Head towards that rock and there is a huge "room" surrounded by gigantic brain coral columns. It's kind of hard to get in, but I believe there is a gap to the right of it. Once in, it opens up more to the back, but you wouldn't know it if you saw it from that angle.

If you find it, hands down, it was one of the most densely populated areas of fish I've ever been in! I dropped by almost every day to check it out and it was always loaded.

Do be careful if you head out the back. There's a hole that had a tendency to draw in nurse sharks, and in low tide it is shallow enough that you could probably kick them if you didn't see them.

marinemanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 08:50 AM   #19
marinemanohio
Registered Member

A quick Google search provided a lot of information. Here's one of many.
http://bckrvue.blogspot.com/2012/03/...norkeling.html

By the way, it was a really fun spot, too!

marinemanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 08:54 AM   #20
NTP66
Registered Member

To add to the list, here are some links that I used when I first traveled to Maui years ago. I can vouch for every single spot:

http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com...norkeling.html
http://mauisnorkeling.net/maui-snorkel-map/
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2...ing.Spots.html

Unread 09/17/2014, 08:58 AM   #21
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Wow guys great suggestions

I was a little bummed at first, since I thought Oahu would be better for fish... guess I was wrong!

Unread 09/17/2014, 09:14 AM   #22
NTP66
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow guys great suggestions

I was a little bummed at first, since I thought Oahu would be better for fish... guess I was wrong!
Personally, I've had better experiences in the water in Maui, but I'm extremely biased towards that island. Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just make sure you don't bother/touch any Honu (green sea turtles). They're protected, and you'll be in a world of trouble if caught. Same goes for the humpbacks.

Unread 09/17/2014, 09:16 AM   #23
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Personally, I've had better experiences in the water in Maui, but I'm extremely biased towards that island. Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just make sure you don't bother/touch any Honu (green sea turtles). They're protected, and you'll be in a world of trouble if caught. Same goes for the humpbacks.
LOL yeah not really looking to touch anything

Was pretty upset when a kid was trying to catch a damsel with a bag in Turks and Caicos earlier this year...

Unread 09/18/2014, 02:53 PM   #24
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
+1

I've never seen Chevrons at snorkeling depths - most times they are at depths of 30-60ft. They are more common on BI than Maui in my experience. I've never seen a Crosshatch at recreational diving depths on the main HI islands. Supposedly they are common in the NW HI islands, though...

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 03:41 PM   #25
SammyL
Reefer

Your gonna love the ritz! My wife and I stayed there for 10 days a few years ago. Very nice restrarunt a cross the street at the plantation.

SammyL is offline   Reply With Quote