Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2014, 10:26 PM   #1
GoldeneyeRet
Registered Member

Yellow Assesor, wild caught or captive bred?

I am planning ahead for my next few fish, and a yellow assessor is sure to be in my next order. Should I go with wild caught or captive bred? Differences in color or behavior?

GoldeneyeRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2014, 10:33 PM   #2
fishhuman
Registered Member

Behavior is the same and I'm not sure why you would ever want wild caught when there is the option a captive bred its so much better for the reefs

fishhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 12:59 AM   #3
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldeneyeRet View Post
I am planning ahead for my next few fish, and a yellow assessor is sure to be in my next order. Should I go with wild caught or captive bred? Differences in color or behavior?

I read somewhere that the wild caught ones will swim upside down a little more than the captive bred ones. As far as looks go I mostly have the seen the captive bred assessors. Some look good while others are super faded. It might depend on the source. I would try to get one as yellow as you can.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 01:15 AM   #4
kw22
Registered Member

I would get captive bred.They will be slightly hardier and as stated above,captive bred fish are great for reefs.ALWAYS buy captive when you can,even if there is a big gap I price.

Current Tank Info: All freshwater at the moment.Hoping to set up a marine tank in the future.
kw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 01:21 AM   #5
the808state
Registered Member

There is a misconception on breeding fish is saving reefs - Reef fish have a very fast doubling time. there are literally, millions of yellow assessors on the GBR... buying a wild one will not effect anything on the reefs as far as assessors go...

However, keeping breeders in business is always a good idea

the808state is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 04:04 AM   #6
reefwiser
Registered Member

In the future your only choice may be captive bred. So support the breeders.

reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 06:11 AM   #7
A sea K
Registered Member

Have never had any issues with wild caught assessors concerning hardiness. I'm all in favour of using captive bred specimens but they just don't seem to have the vibrant colors that WC specimens do.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 09:43 AM   #8
steelersfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A sea K View Post
Have never had any issues with wild caught assessors concerning hardiness. I'm all in favour of using captive bred specimens but they just don't seem to have the vibrant colors that WC specimens do.
Agree 100%
There is no comparison in the brightness of color between the WC and Captive Bred. With this fish, I would try to locate a WC specimen.

Current Tank Info: Elos 160XL with Custom Steel Stand
steelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 10:30 AM   #9
Marshall O
Registered Member

I have had a CB one for two years now. It is always hanging out sideways or upside down, so I doubt there is a difference there between WC & CB. As far as colors, I have seen both in person, and the difference was not significant enough to make me want a WC over CB. I am in favor of CB with this particular fish.

Marshall O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Fish Biscuit
Registered Member

I'll be getting one down the road & I'm going for WC, the captive ones certainly don't have the same color & appeal, they look washed out.

I enjoy vodka entirely too much to share with the fish.

Current Tank Info: 65 rimless with Eshopps R200 sump, current inhabitants randall goby, helfrichi, possum wrasse, barnacle blenny, mandarin, pistol, peppermint, & fire shrimp, snails, hermits, & LPS
Fish Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 11:09 AM   #11
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Biscuit View Post
I'll be getting one down the road & I'm going for WC

I would too. They are not that common anyway so the impact on the reef is practically 0 especially when you compare how many other WC fish are routinely offered for sale (6 lines, yellow tangs, etc.) don't know the exact ratio but it seems like a gazillion of tangs and 6 lines are offered for one yellow assessor.

Unread 09/17/2014, 11:30 AM   #12
38bill
Registered Member

I have had a CB (ORA) YA for a little over a year. Great little fish, always upside down or on its side. Freaks people out as they think something is wrong with it. I thought the color was a little muddy looking when I fist got the fish but he is getting brighter and showing some nice red on his fins now. I'm happy with him.

38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 12:16 PM   #13
GoldeneyeRet
Registered Member

Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming.

I had a WC yellow assessor once and it was gorgeous. I have never seen a captive bred specimen but I have heard they are not as brilliantly colored. I also know some species are better as WC while some are better as CB. That's why I am asking about the assesors.

Thanks for the insights, I hope to get some more!

Unread 09/17/2014, 03:44 PM   #14
the808state
Registered Member

It could be diet as well for the TR ones. It could possibly brighten up significantly if you feed it alot with some fatty foods. Happens with most fish who look faded.

It is possible that Tank raised could be the only option in the future. If this is the case, the industry will collapse quickly, and there will be no reason to breed fish anymore... Don't get me wrong, I have helped many breeders over the years, but it is not a viable long term option for this industry. But that could change if it was the only option.

Either way, yellow assessors are awesome. I have one now that is the biggest I have ever seen at 3".

the808state is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 12:31 AM   #15
GoldeneyeRet
Registered Member

I am looking at a yellow assessor on DD and this is the third one in a row there I have seen where the yellow looks faded and the color in the fins looks pale.

I think Im leaning towards wild caught, despite the higher price tag.

Unread 09/19/2014, 10:00 AM   #16
Mark9
Registered Member

I have an ORA, price tag was $89, but I got him on sale.
His colors have always looked washed out, barely a hint of red, just like the DD picture.
If you are looking for color, go WC.
He is always swimming sideways though, which is cool.

LA WC

DD ORA

Mark9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2014, 01:36 PM   #17
rhdoug
Registered Member

The captive bred ORA fish are young, and have not reached their full color. I believe diet has a lot to do with color as well. Mine colored up just like the wild ones once he reached about year old back in 2010-2011. I currently have a couple of newer yellows that I added in Feb of this year, I am anxious to see if they color up as well as the first one did (before he jumped - cover your tank.)

Current Tank Info: 58 Gallon mixed reef running since 1999, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 180w Maxpect Razor LED Light, August 2015 TOTM
rhdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2014, 08:09 PM   #18
nanoreefer1000
Registered Member

I usually see CB ones at cheaper prices surprisingly, always go CB when you can. Shouldn't even be a question IMO.

Unread 09/20/2014, 10:02 PM   #19
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

So I was at petco today to buy my dogs some treats and new toys. They had a tank bred and wild caught yellow assessors in the same tank in the fish section. The biggest difference was the wild caught assessor's orange line on the dorsal fin was way more colorful and distinct. The pictures above posted by mark9 pretty much resemble both types very well.

Unread 09/21/2014, 01:08 AM   #20
o2manyfish
Registered Member

I have 5 of the ORAs. Got them at the beginning of the year. Behavior is the same. Color is definitely not as bright. However, these fish do tend to like to hang out in the darker areas of the tank, and along the back wall. I don't expect their colors to get as bright as the wild ones I have kept in the past. And my experience has also been that the wild ones seem to get a little bit bigger.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2014, 01:45 AM   #21
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
However, these fish do tend to like to hang out in the darker areas of the tank, and along the back wall.

Dave B

Yeah, that's how they behave in nature. Check out this video. They are being collected in a darker area of the Great Barrier Reef: http://youtu.be/3PV2PF4Q15c

Unread 09/21/2014, 09:09 AM   #22
GoldeneyeRet
Registered Member

o2manyfish, how long have the 5 ORA assessors been in your tank? Have you seen any change in the color?

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Unread 09/21/2014, 12:42 PM   #23
o2manyfish
Registered Member

GoldenEyeRet,

I am not sure exactly. I got them since the crash last fall. I got them early in the restocking. So perhaps last November or January.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2014, 12:58 PM   #24
GoldeneyeRet
Registered Member

Thanks Dave. It seems the ORA are typically less colorful, but I read mixed reports on how much, if any, they will color up.

It seems more people experience little to no color improvement. Right now I am leaning WC even though I believe in buying CB as a general rule.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Unread 09/25/2014, 10:53 AM   #25
Marshall O
Registered Member

I can't find any good pictures of my ORA YA, but its colors definitely more closely resemble the WC picture vs. the CB picture. I still vote CB.

Marshall O is offline   Reply With Quote