Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/16/2017, 12:00 PM   #1
AnonymousBleach
Registered Member

Sump Design Question

Hi All,

New here to the reefing community. I am in the process of building my own sump (55g) for my 110g display. Here is the pictures I have of how it is built.

Main questions I have now is, will my filter sock be fine that much out of water? (It will still have prolly half of it in the water when filled, I'm just wanting some experts opinions on if this looks fine the way I will have it mounted?) And also if anyone thinks I might have flow issues using a filter sock at that lever?)

Dimensions of my sump: (5 Chamber design)
1.) Filter sock (Input drain) - 6in
2.) Live rock chamber - 7in (Might use as something else down the road, move the LR over to intake and make this an ATO, acclamation zone, reactor area, yadayada...)
3.) Refugium - 13in
4.) Skimmer Section - 13in
**Additional foam/bubble trap areaa - 2in**
5.) Pump/Return 6in

Again, new here so any input is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you for your time!
-Bleach

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sump 1.jpg (55.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Sump 2.jpg (57.6 KB, 38 views)
AnonymousBleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 12:13 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

You should not have any problems with it there provided that its secure and won't move with water flowing into it/weighing it down..

Unread 08/16/2017, 12:34 PM   #3
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

One consideration with socks is what happens when they fill up. I like to keep the top of the sock below the top of the tank in case the sock becomes totally plugged - it'll overflow into the sump instead of possibly on the floor. This isn't very likely but it's something to keep in mind.

In terms of the test of your design, it looks fine. This is a personal preference thing, but I don't generally build sumps with more than three sections. There's no reason to not put the skimmer right in with the overflow drains versus a separate compartment, for example. I generally have one compartment for equipment (skimmer, heater, reactor plumbing, overflow drains) and another for live stuff (refugium macro algae, rock, sand, whatever) plus a third for the return pump.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 12:48 PM   #4
AnonymousBleach
Registered Member

Awesome thank you for the input! I was contemplating about mounting it actually outside of the sump on a 2x4 crossing between on of the leg supports. That way it would not go anywhere, be near the same level and give me a little more room in that chamber!

Unread 08/16/2017, 01:42 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
One consideration with socks is what happens when they fill up. I like to keep the top of the sock below the top of the tank in case the sock becomes totally plugged - it'll overflow into the sump instead of possibly on the floor. This isn't very likely but it's something to keep in mind.
Good point... I didn't notice that detail.. I thought it was below the upper trim when I first looked at it..

They WILL clog at some point or another.. Thats one of the reasons I don't run socks.. I have a sock section in my new sump to use when doing a "deep cleaning" with a turkey baster,etc... but will not run them normally..

Unread 08/17/2017, 09:31 AM   #6
AnonymousBleach
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Good point... I didn't notice that detail.. I thought it was below the upper trim when I first looked at it..

They WILL clog at some point or another.. Thats one of the reasons I don't run socks.. I have a sock section in my new sump to use when doing a "deep cleaning" with a turkey baster,etc... but will not run them normally..
Yea I think if I move the holder out and mount it to a 2x4 it will actually lower it within the tank. And if needed I can put the board at an angle to make sure if and when it overflows it does flow over properly. Thank you again for all the input!

Tags
design help, filter socks, sump, sump help