Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2018, 09:04 PM   #1
JenkinsThePole
Registered Member

Unhappy Tank Stand Screw Up/Altering The Stand With The Tank

Alright long story short I built a stand out of 2x4s and now I need literally 1/2inch of extra room (width) to accommodate a 20L sump (which I'm pretty much dead set on). So I have two ideas. 1 is to plane another set of 2x4s and take a 1/4 inch off. This would give me the 1/2 in I need. I would drain all the water from the tank and then remove the inner (weight bearing) 2x4s and replace them with the 1.75x4s. Then I could happily slide in my 20L and such. The next idea is literally sit there and sand 1/4 in off of each side until the tank fits. I literally just spent $300 getting the equipment for the sump. I guess I could settle for a 15g if I had to but I already bought the 20L and would really prefer it. I learned now that I should measure correctly but whats done is done. I've tried to mark what I want to happen on the pictures.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-4227.jpg (35.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-4228.jpg (50.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-4230 copy.jpg (48.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-4229.jpg (68.6 KB, 64 views)
JenkinsThePole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 10:32 PM   #2
BrettDS
Registered Member

Those inner 2x4’s are not weight bearing. The weight bearing 2x4’s are the outer ones. The weight of the tank will be on the top frame, which will transfer the weight to the outer 2x4’s directly under it, which will transfer the weight to the bottom frame, then to the floor.

The inner 2x4’s are helping to keep everything in line and keeping the weight bearing outer 2x4’s attached to the top and bottom frames, but the inner ones don’t need to be 2x4’s at all. Just pull them out and replace them with 1x4’s.

Even though they aren’t weight bearing they are keeping everything held together, so I would still empty the tank first.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 11:14 PM   #3
JenkinsThePole
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDS View Post
Those inner 2x4’s are not weight bearing. The weight bearing 2x4’s are the outer ones. The weight of the tank will be on the top frame, which will transfer the weight to the outer 2x4’s directly under it, which will transfer the weight to the bottom frame, then to the floor.

The inner 2x4’s are helping to keep everything in line and keeping the weight bearing outer 2x4’s attached to the top and bottom frames, but the inner ones don’t need to be 2x4’s at all. Just pull them out and replace them with 1x4’s.

Even though they aren’t weight bearing they are keeping everything held together, so I would still empty the tank first.
I believe they are weight bearing though. I say this because those three screws you see at the top and bottom actually transfer the weight onto the inner 2x4s. I can shine a light on the top seam of some of the outer 2x4 and see through it. I mainly added those because I was going to wrap it with plywood and make it "nice".

Unread 02/25/2018, 04:14 AM   #4
oldhead
Registered Member

You could easily do one at a time with the tank on it. A 1x3 would be sufficient inside there since the weight is on the outer 2x4's. My 40 breeder QT is on a 2x3 stand in the basement. That stand you have there could hold 4 of your tanks.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 07:44 AM   #5
BrettDS
Registered Member

Tank Stand Screw Up/Altering The Stand With The Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenkinsThePole View Post
I believe they are weight bearing though. I say this because those three screws you see at the top and bottom actually transfer the weight onto the inner 2x4s. I can shine a light on the top seam of some of the outer 2x4 and see through it. I mainly added those because I was going to wrap it with plywood and make it "nice".

If the inner ones are weight bearing they shouldn’t be. It’s not ideal to transfer the weight through the screws like that. In fact, when you replace the inner 2x4’s with something thinner I would suggest cutting them a bit short so they don’t reach the floor or the very top of the stand to help ensure they aren’t taking any weight. This is what is recommended in the massive DIY stand build thread here...

DIY Stands Template and Calculator
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t

Unread 02/25/2018, 03:36 PM   #6
JenkinsThePole
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDS View Post
If the inner ones are weight bearing they shouldn’t be. It’s not ideal to transfer the weight through the screws like that. In fact, when you replace the inner 2x4’s with something thinner I would suggest cutting them a bit short so they don’t reach the floor or the very top of the stand to help ensure they aren’t taking any weight. This is what is recommended in the massive DIY stand build thread here...

DIY Stands Template and Calculator
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t
Alright so heres my plan. I'm going to drain all the water and put my coral and rocks into a bucket and a brute trashcan. Then I'm going to pull the tank away from the wall so I can get at the back screws. Then I'm going to unscrew the inner 2x4 replace it with a 1.5x4 (i'm going to use a table saw to thin some wood I already have). Cut them a hair shorter so they don't take any weight. I'm going to make sure the tank is seated on the outer 2x4s. Do that all the way around. re-level the tank, add 15gallons wait ten minutes level it again and then add the rest and hope I can get my rocks put together right and my coral don't die. I think ill mark the front of the rocks with zip ties (through a hole) or maybe spare frag plugs and take a few pictures.

Unread 02/25/2018, 04:41 PM   #7
BrettDS
Registered Member

Your corals should be fine. If you want to take everything out what I would do is start by making maybe 50% of your tank’s volume in new salt water. Then take some of the old tank water and put it in a 5 gallon bucket and put your corals in that, then put more old tank water in a brute trash can and put your rocks in that... just enough water to keep the rocks covered. Then I’d put the rest of the old tank water in another brute trash can.

Go ahead and do what you want with the tank, then put the water from the brute with just water back in the tank along with the new water to fill it up, then transfer the rocks and coral into the tank. I wouldn’t reuse the water that the rocks and coral sat in.

That said, you should go into this assuming that your rocks are not going back in to the same places. I’ve tried before to redo rock arrangements that I liked when I had to move some rocks and I have never been able to get them to fit back together the same way. No matter how many pictures I take or how much I mark the rocks. If it’s twisted one way just a small amount it just won’t lock together with the other ones.

If you really like your rocks arranged the way they are and your tank isn’t too big then you might want to just pull the corals out and drain the water and leave the rocks in place. They should be fine out of the water for a short time and you can spray them with water periodically to keep them wet if it’s taking more than 15 or 20 minutes.

Unread 02/25/2018, 05:25 PM   #8
JenkinsThePole
Registered Member

Alright I will do that. So to be clear... I'm going to add two inches to the stand to make room for my skimmer. So the outer 2x4s sitting directly under the tank shouldn't be screwed into the rectangular base that the aquarium sits on? They are taking the weight of the tank and that holds them in place along with being screwed to the inner 1.5x4 (for support so they dont slip off) which the 1.5x4 is THEN screwed into the the rectangular base and where the aquarium sits thereby locking the 2x4 in place.

Unread 02/25/2018, 05:29 PM   #9
BrettDS
Registered Member

The inner 1.5x4 should be screwed to the upper frame, the lower frame, and the outer 2x4’s as that is what will hold everything in place. Screwing the outer 2x4’s to the upper or lower frame wouldn’t hurt anything, but unless you have a jig to make holes for pocket screws it’s a very difficult thing to do, so it’s probably best just to skip it and rely on the inner 1.5x4’s.

Unread 03/05/2018, 12:38 PM   #10
JenkinsThePole
Registered Member

It took a few hours and some choice words but I managed to add two inches to the stand and almost get the rocks in place (twas an awful time trying to arranging them lol). Thanks for all the help!

Tags
40b, clearance, stand, sump