Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2018, 07:45 PM   #1
fishdip22
Registered Member

Best microscope for the money

So I want to be able to look at the cells of and close up inspections of items in my reef tank such as a dead fish gills or diffrent types of algae found in the tank for better ID I would also like to be able to hook it up to the computer so I can capture the images. Not looking to brake the bank but willing to pay for something that will be more user friendly and lead to better results for a noob.

Unread 01/18/2018, 08:40 PM   #2
Tripod1404
Registered Member

This maybe?

http://www.amscope.com/compound-micr...-0-camera.html

It would be hard to find something that is user-friendly and give good results. User friendly ones are always almost like toy microscopes for children, and high-quality ones are mainly produced for professional use, so they assume the user has the know-how to operate it (The last microscope I got even didn't have a user manual, it was just in a plain box ).

That being said, you can learn how to use them easily. I am sure there are online guides (both videos and pdfs) that you can check. Just start with lower magnification ranges like 4X and go above from that.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 09:37 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

I don't know much about microscopes, but they are available in a broad price range. A dissecting scope might be better and less expensive for looking at larger subjects.

Unread 01/19/2018, 09:53 AM   #4
Dan_P
Registered Member

I bought an Amscope with a camera which I think will meet your needs. I had two years. Which model, which camera and which light source will be driven by a compromise of your needs and budget.

I bought mine to identify alga and cyanobacteria, but there were times when I wish that I had dissecting microscope for larger objects and a deeper depth of field.

I would be happy to supply more information.

Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 11:55 AM   #5
zeebies
Registered Member

I have an older Amano OM36 microscope. I'd love to get some pictures of algae, etc. Is it best to get a camera adapter for an existing microscope, or just get a separate device like the AmScope?

I'm not really that picky - just want to get some pictures up on the computer for ID-ing things.

Thanks for any suggestions.

zeebies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Dan_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebies View Post
I have an older Amano OM36 microscope. I'd love to get some pictures of algae, etc. Is it best to get a camera adapter for an existing microscope, or just get a separate device like the AmScope?

I'm not really that picky - just want to get some pictures up on the computer for ID-ing things.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I can’t comment on what is best optically. I think the camera adapter might be cheaper than a new microscope with a camera eye piece. I bought a stereo microscope (Amscope) with the camera (MD139) replacing one of the eye pieces to keep the cost down.

Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 05:10 PM   #7
zeebies
Registered Member

Thanks, Dan P. I'm looking at cameras that go into one eyepiece port on the microscope. Do a have a recommendation on megapixels needed to get a good shot? Looks like microscope cameras can range from low end, 1.3 MP, then proceed upward.

I don't want to go crazy - I'd just like to get a good look at algae, bugs, etc.

zeebies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 10:53 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

A 1 mp camera should be fine for identifying organisms.