Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2018, 02:47 PM   #1
hkgar
Registered Member

Amazon vs BRS

Don't assume that Amazon is always the lowest.
Hanna Alk reagent at Amazon

Same at BRS

I am not plugging BRS, just trying to show that Amazon is not always the best alternative. I always check other sources when shopping Amazon.

Other Aquatic supply online stores may be just as good as BRS.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 04:43 PM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Many 3rd party Amazon sellers are not the lowest price. They hope to take advantage of Prime customers w/ 2 day shipping. On occasion I've paid a few bucks more to get my item sooner than standard shipping.

Unread 03/16/2018, 05:33 PM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

Good reminder to shop around.

I usually check the two places mentioned above plus the doctors for dry goods.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 06:34 PM   #4
Dealseer
Registered Member

Isn’t this obvious?

Dealseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 06:51 PM   #5
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Not always the lowest but amazon usually is lower and with prime 2, day delivery vs brs whenever it gets there. USPS...

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 01:28 AM   #6
oldhead
Registered Member

I usually check all three places myself. Favorite is BRS, I like the points. I use Dr F&S for my dogs prescription food and just had a 30% coupon that I saved $18 on a box of salt. Amazon I use my sons prime account if I need it fast.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 06:06 AM   #7
mitch91175
Premium Member

Anybody who thought that Amazon was ALWAYS the lowest price is definitely mistaken. People need to REALLY take note to this post. The only REAL advantage to Amazon is the shipping with Prime. There pricing has definitely gone up and people aren't really paying attention because they assume the pricing model is still like it used to be.

Everybody ever heard of the old bait-and-switch? Well that is what is going on now with Amazon. They baited everyone in and now that they have so many people using Prime, they increased their pricing structure. Yeah Amazon Prime is great, but definitely for small items you ARE paying a premium for it there.

Prime example, check out pricing for stuff like PVC unions, elbows, and the liking. You are paying 2-3 times more than Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Really think the pricing increases are more to do with them having shipping almost built into the pricing, but when I see a 90 elbow for almost $5 where that same 90 elbow is $0.79 cents at the hardware store, that is when I started looking at there pricing.

What Amazon is doing is really driving B&M business out-of-business then we will eventually only be able to get things we want from them and the pricing will likely increase more. Just my $0.02.

mitch91175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 12:54 PM   #8
Softhammer
Registered Member

BRS, for literally everything I have bought has the worlds slowest shipping. Even upgraded. Last order took nearly 2 weeks to get. I’m done with them.

Unread 03/18/2018, 12:56 PM   #9
mitch91175
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softhammer View Post
BRS, for literally everything I have bought has the worlds slowest shipping. Even upgraded. Last order took nearly 2 weeks to get. I’m done with them.
Dude where do you live to get such slow shipping? I always get my stuff within 5 business days.

Unread 03/18/2018, 01:06 PM   #10
Joe0813
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softhammer View Post
I never have any issues with their shipping.... Usually if I do the 3 day flat rate ill get it within the three days.. unless of course its a sunday

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 01:26 PM   #11
hkgar
Registered Member

Living in Michigan, even taking the BRS free shipping, I get my orders generally within 2 business days.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 02:19 PM   #12
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch91175 View Post
Anybody who thought that Amazon was ALWAYS the lowest price is definitely mistaken. People need to REALLY take note to this post. The only REAL advantage to Amazon is the shipping with Prime. There pricing has definitely gone up and people aren't really paying attention because they assume the pricing model is still like it used to be.

Everybody ever heard of the old bait-and-switch? Well that is what is going on now with Amazon. They baited everyone in and now that they have so many people using Prime, they increased their pricing structure. Yeah Amazon Prime is great, but definitely for small items you ARE paying a premium for it there.

Prime example, check out pricing for stuff like PVC unions, elbows, and the liking. You are paying 2-3 times more than Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Really think the pricing increases are more to do with them having shipping almost built into the pricing, but when I see a 90 elbow for almost $5 where that same 90 elbow is $0.79 cents at the hardware store, that is when I started looking at there pricing.

What Amazon is doing is really driving B&M business out-of-business then we will eventually only be able to get things we want from them and the pricing will likely increase more. Just my $0.02.
+1

I have seen amazon prices on certain stuff be outrages compared to target or Walmart, the product was shipped by amazon too! not an outside vender.....always check around....

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 02:31 PM   #13
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch91175 View Post
Anybody who thought that Amazon was ALWAYS the lowest price is definitely mistaken.
same the other way around. Anybody who thought that BRS (or LFS, substitute your favorite store) ALWAYS has the lowest price is definitely mistaken.

shop around. I am loyal to the lowest price seller for the exact same item.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 07:06 PM   #14
mitch91175
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
same the other way around. Anybody who thought that BRS (or LFS, substitute your favorite store) ALWAYS has the lowest price is definitely mistaken.

shop around. I am loyal to the lowest price seller for the exact same item.
True that. But if I am ordering something for either one I just go ahead and get everything for that order from them. Like just now BRS didn't have something in stock that AquaCave did so I went with them.

Unread 03/18/2018, 08:42 PM   #15
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

If you get most of the items from say Marine Depot, and some items are cheaper from BRS, MD can likely price match those items. I think most major online stores, including amazon, will price match.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 09:04 PM   #16
Chicagoreef2016
Registered Member

I have found a few items cheaper at Premium Aquatics online vs BRS. I mainly use BRS, but check them vs other places as they can be like amazon. Good prices on some stuff, but they make it up on others if you aren’t paying attention.

Unread 03/20/2018, 07:38 AM   #17
mitch91175
Premium Member

Well to throw other in the mix, what are you experiences with Aquacave and CoralVue if any. I ordered some stuff late yesterday from CoralVue and I will be getting it tomorrow with their free shipping. Not bad, but they are shipping from LA to TX so not too far. There pricing isn't bad either.

Unread 03/20/2018, 08:22 AM   #18
benjammin03
Registered Member

Now that Amazon is charging tax on items they sell directly, I find that BRS is usually cheaper for aquarium specific items and shipping is maybe a day slower at most. This is one of those industries where a lot of the prices are set by the manufacturer and it is pretty much the same everywhere. That is why so many items are excluded from their holiday sales. The 5% points are nice at BRS but I also get 5% back at Amazon with their credit card which I can use on many more items.

I also don't think Amazon is raising prices after driving out competition. First of all it's called predatory pricing, not bait and switch. Secondly, the items that Amazon charges more for are those items with small margins that cost more to ship than what they make. Most of the things they sell (outside of this hobby) are still at a better price than what you can find in a brick and mortar.

I still like to support BRS or Marine Depot for the same reason I like to support my LFS. The more I can give to a store specific to the hobby, the more specialized options and help we will have. But as much as I would like to support the local store, my decision usually comes down to price.

benjammin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 09:02 AM   #19
smatter
Registered Member

I don't buy from BRS simply because everyone thinks they are the authority on reefing

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 02:37 PM   #20
homer1475
Registered Member

I mainly shop BRS.

I get their stuff in 3 days free(and I didn't have to pay for free shipping(prime)), and I have bought lots of stuff from preferred reefer points.

Why not support a reefer specific company? Kind of like supporting your LFS.

I will shop around, but BRS typically has what I want and it's close enough in price to not make a difference with the points.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote