Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/11/2018, 10:12 AM   #26
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

I usually ask my wife to match them for me but she's not home, to my eyes that could be anywhere from 10 to about 50ish

Unread 03/11/2018, 11:07 AM   #27
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

I have to say i'm pretty surprised at how fast the nitrates are coming down by color difference from yesterday. my corals are definitely looking happier.

Unread 03/11/2018, 11:16 AM   #28
Daddi0
Registered Member

With nitrates in the red, do you have a place in your reef where poop may be accumulating? maybe a canister filter?

Unread 03/11/2018, 12:03 PM   #29
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

no I had a massive die off event due to a power outage a while back this is recovery stage. it's from all the corals worms pods probably some sponges etc dying at once.

Unread 03/11/2018, 12:14 PM   #30
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

random note: just found my copy of anthony calfo's book of coral propagation volume 1 version 1.0, the problem when you have over 1200 books is finding them when you want them I was looking for this a year ago....

Unread 03/12/2018, 05:34 AM   #31
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

so after ripping apart the rock work to catch the fishes out of the tank the nitrates crept back up a bit over the last 12 hours (only a tiny bit darker than yesterdays test not quite as dark as the day before so it's a gasin), which isn't surprising seeing as I disturbed everything. knocking tons of sludge loose but thats a good thing in a way. now that the tank is fishless i'll be able to reduce the overall schmutz in the tank and whittle away the root of the problem. i'll be going this morning to get some more cleanup crew since my crew is far understaffed since the power outage.

Unread 03/12/2018, 10:47 PM   #32
bertoni
RC Mod

Okay, well, that sounds like progress on average. I agree that a nitrate spike is normal after disturbing live rock.

Unread 03/24/2018, 05:08 AM   #33
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

so fascinating enough, I started mixing my vingegar dose directly with my alk addition in the morning, it seems to have made my alk dose more effective normally i'm struggling with the current dose to hold it at about 7-8kh but didnt want to over do it the last 3 days I have added my vinegar to my RO water before adding my KH powder, of course it fizzes for a bit as I stir it but for the last 2 days my KH has been testing 8-9 without changing my dose of KH powder. now obviously this is very uncontrolled and merely anecdotal, because it may simply be that my regular dosing regiment has finally caught up to balance point and is starting to increase KH with zero vinegar effect. or the vinegars acidity in the mix is helping dissolve the KH better so it's impacting the water more effectively.

anyone have any thoughts on that?

Unread 03/24/2018, 08:21 AM   #34
RCS82
Registered Member

What is in the tank for fish now and for corals?

Current Tank Info: 90g, mixed reef, I hope haha
RCS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 03:02 PM   #35
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

zero fish,

life includes: 9 large nassarius snails, 8 astrea snails, pink urchin, emerald crab, one very large brittle star, random microfauna.

corals: a couple different zoanthid types and palythoas, sarcophyton, capnella, xenia, Leptoseris.

Last edited by ReefkeeperZ; 03/24/2018 at 05:07 PM.
ReefkeeperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 03:33 PM   #36
bertoni
RC Mod

Dissolving the Kalk in vinegar will reduce the pH, and thus might help keep it from precipitating as calcium carbonate on contact with the water. There are a lot of factors involved in how much precipitation occurs, though, so I can't draw any firm conclusions.

Unread 03/24/2018, 03:51 PM   #37
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

me neither that's why I mentioned it was purely anecdotal, as we know correlation doesn't always indicate causation.

Unread 03/28/2018, 11:29 AM   #38
alcimedes
Registered Member

Just for a reference, for your nitrate test, to my eyes that looks like 80/20 between the first and second tests. That's some crazy fast turnaround! I just started dosing vinegar in my reef about a week ago, I'll have to retest and see if my numbers have moved that much.

alcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 02:32 AM   #39
laverda
Registered Member

Wow you are dosing a lot of vinegar compared to the 10-15ml a day I dose on my 350 gallon system. I also dose iron to control Po4. Besides protein skimmers are you using algae’s to export N&P? I have 2 ATSs running at night and early morning, as well as cheeto and some dense turf algae in my sump. I had to cut back on my dosing and lighting to keep from stripping too much out of the water. I found when was dosing more and I ran the ATS and Refugium 24/7 my N&P got too low. My corals were not happy and my cheeto all but disappeared. I stoped dosing for a while and cut the lights way back to raise them back up.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 02:38 AM   #40
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

I do have cheato, it's still growing and there is still significant hair algae growth in my sump, at this point I am dosing 48ml per day. I am using combined skimming and activated carbon growth media for export of the bacterial growth.

I will note my skimmer is easily skimming in 2 days what previously took a week to accumulate.

Last edited by ReefkeeperZ; 03/29/2018 at 05:24 AM.
ReefkeeperZ is offline   Reply With Quote