Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > GHL /ProfiLux / Mitras
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/28/2015, 04:33 AM   #26
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Thanks Steve this is great and I appreciate your warning in regards to DIY risks

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Current Tank Info: Floating about on the water enjoying semi retirement!!
AQD_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2015, 02:59 PM   #27
Steve Atkins
Registered Member

Apart from reading it up on the Internet I made up a breakout cable so I could check it out with a multi meter.
I needed to construct a Y cable for the two Aquabeam channels but the 12v constant output has also proved useful for running my sump area illumination leds via one of those door activated switches.

Unread 11/08/2015, 09:02 PM   #28
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Any words on this project?
have anyone try to run icecap interface with GHL brake out box to control Gyre ?

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 01:14 PM   #29
balloonpilot
Premium Member

Just joining this thread...

I recently purchased a Maxspect Gyre 150 and must say - I am very impressed.... However, I would like very much to control it with my Profilux.

From what I've read so far, I need One Icecap and One GHL Breakout box per Gyre pump. I understand the breakout box and cable between it and the Profilux come from GHL.

Does the Icecap come with the cable to connect it to the GHL Breakout box ?

Has anyone gotten the reverse direction to work so that Alternating Gyre is possible ?

Thanks

All controlled by Profilux with the expansion box and three 4-port dosing pumps
balloonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 04:06 PM   #30
MSHUR
ugust 2011

I am waiting to get brake out box from GHL. Hopefully in a few weeks . But you need to get Icecap cable. Got mine from Premium Aquatics.

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
Unread 12/01/2015, 09:31 PM   #31
balloonpilot
Premium Member

Ive got both the Icecap and breakout boxes now on backorder...

Question - What cable do I need to go from Icecap to the GHL Breakout box?

Is it possible to have the GHL/Profilux control the Gyre pumps in both forward and reverse ?

Thanks

Unread 12/13/2015, 11:52 AM   #32
MSHUR
ugust 2011

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450029056.313268.jpg
Finally got my "toys". Time to start playing .
Will keep you post it if its gonna work they way it should.

Unread 12/21/2015, 06:48 AM   #33
balloonpilot
Premium Member

MSHUR

Any reports on hooking up the Gyre, Icecap, and GHL Breakout box ?

What other cable(s) are needed ?
Can pumps go in forward and reverse ?

Thoughts?

Unread 12/21/2015, 09:36 PM   #34
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Sorry for late replay...busy time

Setting up was pretty easy, Icecap came with control cable . i had to slice this cable to connect with breakout box-very easy ( even for me))
In the profilux setting i use Stream group with 1-10v interface. I use permanent opposite setting for two Gyre. So far so good..
if anyone need help please, shoot me a PM..

Unread 12/22/2015, 08:33 AM   #35
balloonpilot
Premium Member

MSHUR

This is excellent news!

Ive now got TWO Icecaps, but only one GHL breakout box (hopefully the other unit will be included in the next shippment). I too noticed the Icecaps come with a cable that has an Ethernet (RJ45) connector at one end and on the other end it splits into two 1/8" stereo headphone plug...

Could you post a diagram of sorts to show which wires you used where?

Is putting the Gyre in reverse possible or do we just have variable speeds in one direction ?

Unread 12/22/2015, 07:01 PM   #36
shaggss
Registered Member

Surely GHL are work with Maxspect to produce something here?

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2015, 07:13 PM   #37
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonpilot View Post
MSHUR

This is excellent news!

Ive now got TWO Icecaps, but only one GHL breakout box (hopefully the other unit will be included in the next shippment). I too noticed the Icecaps come with a cable that has an Ethernet (RJ45) connector at one end and on the other end it splits into two 1/8" stereo headphone plug...

Could you post a diagram of sorts to show which wires you used where?

Is putting the Gyre in reverse possible or do we just have variable speeds in one direction ?
I dont have any diagram to really show, IMO its plug and play sort of. but, you can use one brakeout box woth two icecaps. when you openbreakout box you will see connector with +/- +/- so you split RJ cable and use for 2 pumps . With using streams option i cant use revers option on Gyre only variable speed.
if you get any trouble connecting shoot me a PM

Unread 12/24/2015, 07:31 PM   #38
MSHUR
ugust 2011

I am not really good at programming logic option but wonder if its possible to use it with Gyre set up.....

Unread 12/24/2015, 08:42 PM   #39
balloonpilot
Premium Member

mshur,

As for the cabling - Now that I've had a chance to look at things, the IceCap comes with a Y cable, looks like you cut off the RJ-45 (Ethernet) connector, leaving you with two separate wires. Since one Icecap is required per Gyre, we get to save the cable from the second Gyre.

Then its a matter of figuring out which wire(e) got to each "+" and "-"

Nice to see that the GHL Break out box supports TWO outputs.

How exactly do you have the Streaming Pump setup configured and grouped?

Just what are you thinking to use the Programming Logic for?

Thanks

Unread 12/24/2015, 09:01 PM   #40
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Gyre setting

take a look at screen shot

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (44.8 KB, 46 views)

Unread 12/24/2015, 09:10 PM   #41
MSHUR
ugust 2011

As far as Programming logic, i would use to control different speed at different time of the day. In stream setting you can only alternate flow every 60sec ,would be nice to use different timing..

Unread 12/28/2015, 03:59 PM   #42
balloonpilot
Premium Member

Under that same section within GHL Control Center, what does the setting "Sequecnce 1/2" and "Surge 1/2" actually do and could that be used to control the Gyre ?

Unread 03/11/2016, 08:49 AM   #43
balloonpilot
Premium Member

MSHUR

Any updates on how the Gyre pump is working the Icecap and GHL interface?

Unread 04/09/2016, 06:15 AM   #44
Matthias Gross
RC Sponsor

I see there no problemat all to connect a Gyre-Pump and to control it with the ProfiLux, assuming the Gyre pumps have a control input which works with up to 10V.

ProfiLux is able to generate different wave patterns using 1 or more wave pumps.
There are 2 important parameters:
- wave
- operational mode = activation pattern (sequence of activating several pumps)
The wave modes and how the wave simulation works in detail is explained in the manual, starting at p. 33.

e.g. about the mode:

Off – the pumps of this group are permanently off.
Permanent – the pumps are permanently active and operate synchronously.
Permanently alternating – The pumps are permanently active and operate alternating, i.e. if pump 1 runs with max. speed, pump 2 runs with min. speed and the other way round.
Sequence 1 – Here, always exactly one current pump of this group is switched on alternating. The duration for the change from one pump to the next one can be set, see below. When the last pump of this group was active, the cycle starts again with the first pump of this group. If this group consists of 2 pumps, then the ebb-tide-simulation is generated. If only one pump belongs to this group, it is switched on and off alternating.
Sequence 2 – Similar to Sequence 1, but the pumps are not switched one after the other, instead of that, they are activated in an alternating order.
Surge 1 – The pumps of this group are switched on one after the other until all pumps are active, then the pumps are switched off again in the same order until all are off. The time until the switching state changes again can be set (see beneath).
Surge 2 – Similar to Surge 1, but the pumps are switched off in the inversed order in which they had been switched on before.
Random – Using a random generator, all, some or none of the pumps belonging to this group are activated in a continuous random variation. The time until the switching state changes again can be set (see beneath).

Current Tank Info: Saltwater tank 700l + freshwater tank 400l
Matthias Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 12:07 PM   #45
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Actually the best way to control two Gyre pumps with Profilux via IceCap controller to use
permanent opposite mode with sinus wave other modes i couldnt get to work correctly.
Unless someone wants run permanent mode .

Hope GHL have some in works for better control and different mode settings for Gyre pumps. Similar to Vortechs would be nice.
To control Gyre with Tunze modes are not the best scenario since two pumps are completely different in operation .

Unread 04/10/2016, 07:28 AM   #46
balloonpilot
Premium Member

Mathias -

.I too would like to see more control of the Gyre pumps with my Profilux.

By that I mean that I would like to be able to set certain times of the day to have selected pumps 'on' at selected power, 'pulse' at selected power and duration... Basically a similar setup/control that is provided with the Vortech module.

Thanks

Unread 04/12/2016, 11:08 AM   #47
Matthias Gross
RC Sponsor

I think the main difference between the Ecotech and the GHL pump control is the ability to run different modes at different times.
I already have this on the egenda, I want to re-progarm the entire pump control section.

But besides the timely changes of the mode is there something else mising?
Is there a mode which ProfiLux doesn't offer?

Good ideas are welcome and very likely to be considered in my next updates.

Current Tank Info: Saltwater tank 700l + freshwater tank 400l
Matthias Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2016, 07:21 PM   #48
Anim8me2
Registered Member

I made a quick video on setting up the hardware for the Gyre/Profilux.
Available in 4K!

Anim8me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2016, 08:09 PM   #49
ReefRockerLive
GHL Mitras LX7 Club

That's a fantastic video! Thank you for taking the time to make this.

Current Tank Info: Rimless 67g | GHL Profilux 3.1T eX | 2x GHL Doser 2 dosers | 2xGHL Mitras LX7 LED | Abyzz a100 | Bubble King DC 150 | 2x Vortech MP40w QD | Fauna Marin Zeomatic 2.2ltr | Fauna Marin Zeolight System | Fauna Marin Balling Light Method
ReefRockerLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 07:15 AM   #50
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

From what I have read and seen in videos, a gyre pump can be run in reverse as part of its randomized flow.

If I buy an LBF-AP box and a grye, will I be able to configure an equivalent schedule on the P4?