Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/16/2017, 05:55 PM   #1
LefkoNJ
Registered Member

New Sea and Reef Clowns

Just got a trio of sea and reef captive bred clowns. I did notice an odd behavior. Whenever I add new fish I always check them at night to make sure they are not sucked into the overflow or eaten by something else, generally doing ok. These three guys were swimming up side down on the surface, almost as for safety. During the day they swim around perfectly normal, try out the anemone, eat and explore, but at night this strange behavior. Anyone else ever see this? I will try to get some pictures up shortly.

LefkoNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 08:01 PM   #2
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LefkoNJ View Post
Just got a trio of sea and reef captive bred clowns. I did notice an odd behavior. Whenever I add new fish I always check them at night to make sure they are not sucked into the overflow or eaten by something else, generally doing ok. These three guys were swimming up side down on the surface, almost as for safety. During the day they swim around perfectly normal, try out the anemone, eat and explore, but at night this strange behavior. Anyone else ever see this? I will try to get some pictures up shortly.
I've seen clownfish (and others) swim really weird at night. It could be the easiest way to swim against your tank's flow during the night. Mine used to swim sideways (pointed upwards) because I had a ton of flow bouncing off the surface and down. As long as they're not showing signs of any disease and still eating well during the day, I think they'll be fine (just doing weird stuff).

The only other thing I can think of is swim bladder issues, but being captive raised, I doubt that they would have that issue.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote