Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2017, 09:27 AM   #1
kaz1961
Registered Member

Queen Angel acting strange

I have a small queen angel in my 150 gal. I have had her about a year and at first she didnt want to eat but once she started eating she hasnt stopped. She would swim up to me whenever I entered the room and would pick at nori that I held in my hand. Last week she started acting afraid of me. She hides behind the rocks whenever she sees me. Yesterday she refused to eat for the first time in almost a year. Today she took in some food and spit it out after a few seconds. All parameters check ok and the other fish seem fine and are eating as usual. I am thinking maybe she has flukes? Would treating for flukes be a good idea? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

kaz1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 09:59 AM   #2
Jdub968
Registered Member

Well flukes generally cause heavy breathing and can cause flashing and scratching if your not seeing, and she's not displaying any other symptoms of parasites or disease I would try soaking her food in a little garlic to entice her to eat. Does she have a bloated belly?

Jdub968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 11:55 AM   #3
JustinM
Registered Member

If you never treated for flukes, it’s definitely not a bad idea. Angels are very prone to flukes. Was any other livestock added recently?

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 12:14 PM   #4
lagatbezan
Registered Member

any new additions to the tank? corals, fish or anything wet?

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 02:06 PM   #5
kaz1961
Registered Member

Treated the tank for flukes about a year ago when I got her and she wasnt eating. Absolutely nothing has been added to the tank for over 6 months. All other fish are eating well and acting normal.

Unread 10/22/2017, 03:26 PM   #6
JustinM
Registered Member

I have never had a queen angel but I know my regal would periodically go on strike. Do you see her picking at any rocks or anything? Mine would still pick at the rocks when it didn’t eat prepared foods.

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 08:57 AM   #7
kaz1961
Registered Member

She refused to eat again last night. This morning she was eating and acting normal. I dont know what that was about but for now everything seems ok. Thanks for the input.