Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2017, 06:27 PM   #1
ethuman
Registered Member

Help with test kit...

So ive been getting high readings on my Red Sea test kits for mag and cal. The alk i assume is bad because it says my alk is over 14. I decided to test my mixed salt water for these levels before i did my water change as well as the tank water.

Mixed salt water
Ca 450
Mg 1320

Tank water
Ca 490
Mg 1480

I there any way the levels would go up in the DT over a week? Or should i consider the test kits bad? They both expire in January. Also i am using reef crystals for salt.

I bought the Red Sea kits when i first started buying corals but have found that salifert kits are a bit easier so I’ve been switching over when its time to buy new test kits. Anybody else have this trouble or any idea what’s going on?

ethuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 06:29 PM   #2
Haunt
Registered Member

How old is your tank? Does everything look ok? If all is well sometimes the best thing to do is nothing at all. In other words your "routine" might be ok. GL.

Unread 10/22/2017, 06:36 PM   #3
ethuman
Registered Member

Tank is 2 years old and everything is doing well. No fish deaths and corals all have growth and color (LPS and Softies). I am dealing with a little bit of cyno but other than that i have no complaints and hadn’t planned on messing with anything just looking for some answers

Unread 10/22/2017, 06:42 PM   #4
Haunt
Registered Member

Sounds good IMO. Cyanobacteria is just something that happens. (slack) Maybe step up the flow? (clean your pumps) If everything looks good though don't "break up the party" so to say. GL

Unread 10/22/2017, 06:56 PM   #5
ethuman
Registered Member

It’s weird because it actually grows on the rock work right in front of the power head. Do i have enough flow? 2 koralia 850 1 koralia 1150 mag7 for return pump and a hob fuge with a rio 600gph pump. Tank is a 72g bow so i think that’s more than enough but i could be wrong...

Unread 10/23/2017, 09:31 AM   #6
thegrun
Registered Member

Did your test kits expire last January or in 2018? How much did the Ca and Mg go up in a week, you don't give the numbers? Increased flow will certrainly help reduce Cyanobacteria problems.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 10:13 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethuman View Post
So ive been getting high readings on my Red Sea test kits for mag and cal. The alk i assume is bad because it says my alk is over 14. ..

Also i am using reef crystals for salt.
Reef Crystals has high levels for alk/mag/cal..
Specifically
13dkh for alk
490ppm cal
1440ppm mag..

There also seem to be some inconsistencies reported lately in their salt... (but I thought most were lower readings)

And we don't know yet if you are even using the test kits properly.. believe it or not many people don't even know how to use/read a syringe correctly.. (and don't feel bad at all if you are one of those)

If they aren't expired I doubt they are incorrect.. (not impossible though)... BUT to have all 3 bad is highly unlikely and I'd assume its just something you are doing incorrectly..
Can you take a sample to your LFS to verify..
And maybe watch some videos online of how to use the kits properly..

Unread 10/23/2017, 11:10 AM   #8
ethuman
Registered Member

The kits expire Jan of 18 but I will certainly check out some videos tonight to make sure I am doing the tests properly. As far a readings go last week the Ca was 430 and Mg was 1320 in the tank.

Unread 10/23/2017, 05:33 PM   #9
Jon0807
Registered Member

My reef crystals have been testing low for alk and mag. Calcium seems to be ok but low for what their claims are. I've been using salifert for alk and mag and api for calcium. I just ordered red sea test kits and should be getting them at the end of this week. I'm thinking maybe it's just my test kits but we'll see how red sea does

Unread 10/23/2017, 07:47 PM   #10
ethuman
Registered Member

Checked out some videos to see if i was doing the tests properly and i am. I will have my LFS run the tests later this week when i go there and see what they come up with. Everything seems happy in the tank so for now ill just keep doing what I’m doing. Thanks to those who have replied

Unread 10/23/2017, 08:17 PM   #11
jubei2006
Registered Member

If everything is doing well i wouldnt sweat it too much. On a side note, with values like that, you don't need to dose right now!

jubei2006 is offline   Reply With Quote