Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/03/2007, 06:52 AM   #26
RokleM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crrichey
Someone HAS to have a video!!!!!
Why? I think you would be severely disappointed. They don't pulse like crazy like Xenia or other fast moving corals. If you shut off all water flow, and a fish or something swims by or irritates the coral, you will see the tips pulse for a brief time. It's not a constant motion like Xenia.

Unread 04/03/2007, 01:43 PM   #27
gant
Registered Member

Sorry for the whole tank pic. This picture is a few months old; the coral is the big pink think in the middle. Mine has gentle constant flow and is under PCs.

I get the best polyp extension when the water is good. It pulsed like crazy for a few months; now it pulses randomly. It seems to act differently in different tanks.

They're pretty corals, and they grow well. The specimen I have is a 1/4 frag off the parent, and I've fragged it at least five times in the last six months!

Last edited by gant; 04/03/2007 at 01:49 PM.
gant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2007, 03:25 PM   #28
scoutmaniak
Registered Member

Gant, I love the whole tank!! Thanks for sharing the full tank shot, it looks better that way! I still like a tank full of softies. There is alot more movement. Ill post a pick when mine gets here tomarow!! I cant wait...

Michael

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon FW, 100 gallon Reef and 15 gallon nano
scoutmaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2007, 05:09 PM   #29
gflat65
Registered Member

Mine is a little different from those shown...

Unread 04/04/2007, 01:16 AM   #30
Jamokie01
Registered Member

Gflat that isnt a pulsing sinularia, looks more like nepthya to me.

As for the actual pulsing, its differs alot from tank to tank. I have two 8-10 inch colonies and mine pulse 100% of the time, under T-5's with low-moderate flow. Its not all the polyps at once but several polyps pulsing in totally different areas of the leather at a time. Very sporatic and random. Has nothing to do with being irritated or touched by another inhabitant.

School of 5 Green Chromis
Blue Morpho Tang
Yellow Tang
Pink Spotted Goby

Current Tank Info: 90 gal reef, 30 gal refugium, 432 watts T-5, Coralife 220 Skimmer, Mag 7 Return, 3 Penguin 660 Powerheads
Jamokie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2007, 09:08 AM   #31
RokleM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamokie01
Gflat that isnt a pulsing sinularia, looks more like nepthya to me.

As for the actual pulsing, its differs alot from tank to tank. I have two 8-10 inch colonies and mine pulse 100% of the time, under T-5's with low-moderate flow. Its not all the polyps at once but several polyps pulsing in totally different areas of the leather at a time. Very sporatic and random. Has nothing to do with being irritated or touched by another inhabitant.
I'd love to see a picture. Not to doubt you, but that's not my experience nor anyone else's I've read. I wonder if there is something in your tank that promotes active constant pulsing. Mine is in a very high flow area.

Unread 04/04/2007, 09:27 AM   #32
gflat65
Registered Member

Interesting. Never heard of a pulsing Nephthea... The polyps are three to four times the size of the other corals I've always called nephthea. It is an unusual growth form, too (not like any of my other softies).

Unread 04/04/2007, 02:13 PM   #33
Jamokie01
Registered Member

I dunno why mine pulses the way it does. I fragged it a couple times and the people who got the frags say it doesnt pulse. I also noticed the color and polyp size is drastically different under different lighting. Mine is a tan/brown color under high wattage T-5 lighting. The frag I gave to a guy with a 400 watt halide above it looks more blue/gray. And my friend put his under pc and his polyps got much larger and look bright pink. Im also going to be changing the flow in my tank by replacing my powerheads with 2 hydor koralias, Im wondering how it will behave then. As for getting a pic Id says it unlikely, the distance of the coral from the glass, the size of the polyps, and the fact that Id have to zoom in so much to catch individual polyps pulsing when I have no idea which ones will pulse next, all add up to a difficult pic to take. Ill try though, Ill have my buddy bring his new cam over. If I get anything decent Ill post it.

Blue Morpho Tang
Yellow Tang
Pink Spotted Goby

Current Tank Info: 90 gal reef, 30 gal refugium, 432 watts T-5, Coralife 220 Skimmer, Mag 7 Return, 3 Penguin 660 Powerheads
Unread 04/04/2007, 02:19 PM   #34
scoutmaniak
Registered Member

What color are your t-5 bulbs?? I have a tek 6 bulb, but have alot of blue so maybe mine will look more pink... How is the growth under t-5's?? My payment didnt go through till today, so I should be getting my frag tomarrow some time. Ill see how long it takes to fully aclamate to my tank. I know my xenia pulse like theres no tomarrow, so mybe ill have some luck getting the sinularia to pulse.....

Unread 04/05/2007, 03:39 PM   #35
Jamokie01
Registered Member

Right now I have an 8 bulb setup of half 10k and half actinic, Id really like the color to be a bit more blue, but Im having a hell of a time finding bulbs aside from 10k, 6500, and actinic. Im looking for a 12k, I think giesmann makes an 11k. Anyways, my softies love the T-5s, my zoanthid growth is crazy, my leathers have grown significantly, and my shrooms expand alot.

Blue Morpho Tang
Yellow Tang
Pink Spotted Goby

Unread 04/05/2007, 04:14 PM   #36
scoutmaniak
Registered Member

Sounds great!!! I think ATI bulbs makes a 12k now. Check out reefgeek.com, they seem to have the best selection of bulbs. Ive got a 6 bulb, with 2 actincs, 2 blue plus, 1 11k, and 1 6.5k. It's just about like a 14k MH. I cant wait for my leather to come it!!!!! USPS is the worst shipper!! They are a day late now, so I hope it's ok...

Michael

Unread 04/05/2007, 08:17 PM   #37
bruck
Registered Member

the polyps on this leather i posted for an id on here pulsate also not all at one time, but randomly. i just figured it was doing some kind of filter feeding.

bruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2007, 11:19 AM   #38
Jamokie01
Registered Member

I used to think it was a feeding response as well, but if you look close the polyps arent closing or retracting, theyre actually opening more fully, until the tentacles of the polyp kinda smush against the flesh of the coral.

Blue Morpho Tang
Yellow Tang
Pink Spotted Goby

Unread 04/07/2007, 08:23 AM   #39
glennb
Registered Member

Seems to be some confusion here. Many photos in this thread depict Alcyoniids other than Sinularia. Most show Cladiella. Polyps on these retract and emerge rapidly, you only have to wave your hand past them and the polyps retract, but I've never seen any documented cases of 'pulsing'.

So, just to clarify, of those claiming their corals pulse, you're saying they do so rhythmically like Xenia does?

Quick read about Cladiella from AIMS' soft coral Atlas:
Quote:
"COLONY MORPHOLOGY: Encrusting to erect, firm to fleshy, lobate colonies commonly of relatively small size. Asexual reproduction is by colony fission. Lobes generally more regular than Sinularia, and do not form ridges. Colonies with limited powers of contraction. Polyps are monomorphic, retractile, small, with short bodies. When expanded, the tentacle tips bend far back to form an inverted bowl shape. Colonies are generally white or pale brown when contracted. Polyps are brown due to dense concentrations of zooxanthellae. The rapid retraction of polyps upon disturbance results in a characteristic instantaneous colour change from brown to white."

glennb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2007, 04:07 PM   #40
sukie80
Registered Member

I thought I would revive this thread - I got a tiny video of mine "pulsating"

Ck it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBRCoglHYWU

sukie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2007, 02:56 PM   #41
truepercs
Registered Member

Does anyone need frags of this? (or a colony) I was getting ready to trade mine in at the local pet store... I bought a frag from Mustang quite a while back. it is about 8-10 inches deflated... I had it in my sump for a couple of days while I was re arranging my tank. I only have a couple of soft corals and want to get em out...

-Ed

Unread 12/31/2007, 07:54 PM   #42
atzak
Registered Member

that's a cool video sukie, thanks for sharing. True percs, I wish you were closer, I would take it

Current Tank Info: 210 reef, 55 gallon planted fresh water
atzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2008, 02:05 AM   #43
jay2525
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by truepercs
Does anyone need frags of this? (or a colony) I was getting ready to trade mine in at the local pet store... I bought a frag from Mustang quite a while back. it is about 8-10 inches deflated... I had it in my sump for a couple of days while I was re arranging my tank. I only have a couple of soft corals and want to get em out...

-Ed
'

If you ship I'll take it.....

jay2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2008, 09:03 AM   #44
blide
Premium Member

It's the coral in the center of the tank.. (It was about the size of a soccer ball before, but I chopped about 90% of it when I downgraded. )

blide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2008, 05:31 PM   #45
truepercs
Registered Member

Never shipped before? I would give it a try. I could actually frag mine up into decent size colonies... 5" with about 8-10 3" branches... I could cut it up into about 8 of these sections.

I guess you can send me a message to take this offline, otherwise they may pull the post?

-Ed

Unread 01/03/2008, 06:06 PM   #46
truepercs
Registered Member

Pic of pulsing sinularia, grown from 3/4 frag from Mustang

It is not fully opened it was sitting in the dark for 1 1/2 days...
When cleaning my tank I forgot that I put it in the sump

-Truepercs

Last edited by truepercs; 01/03/2008 at 06:13 PM.
truepercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2008, 05:38 PM   #47
sharkdude
Registered Member

Freed said:
Quote:
All the polyps will close at the same time and then within seconds they will open back up.
this sounds more like what I know as Blushing Leather.

The Pulsing Leather is more random (not so rythmic), only visible in low to no current, and as described by some above, more like the polyp opening up rather than in xenias where they pulse closed.

Current Tank Info: reef tankless since August 2009; PDF vivs since October 2009
sharkdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2008, 07:48 PM   #48
truepercs
Registered Member

exactly.... you have to watch very closely. eventually you will see some of the polyps open and close.

Unread 03/10/2010, 07:59 PM   #49
fijiblue
Moved On

Looks more like prey capture than actual pulsing...

fijiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 06:33 PM   #50
musicsmaker
Premium Member

I have an old video from back in the day. Let me see where I put that old thing.