Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/26/2019, 04:27 PM   #1
deputydog95
Registered Member

I'm watching my largest and oldest acro colony RTN.... Suggestions?

This is sad... I've had this colony for years and it's been thriving. So much so it expanded out and had been growing up the back wall of my tank and down the rock in front of it. Sure sign that it was happy at one point....

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed some bare spots on the base. Tissue below it was good and the tissue above it was good too. Figured it might be shading and didn't give it much thought.

It's getting way more aggressive now with the top going RTN in one part.

No explanation for this... I did see some white dots on the middle base where the color left the tissue and and they've expanded to other bare spots now. I've tried picking at them and they don't come off.

It's been forever since I've added anything new to the tank as I'm out of room.

Alk 9
Ca 440
Mg 1320
Temp 79
pH 7.9 to 8.2
Salinity 1.026
P04 .08
NO3 .75

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics... There's some phyto in the water too which makes it hard to get clear pics with all the floating particulate.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Unread 10/26/2019, 04:28 PM   #2
deputydog95
Registered Member

Slightly better pic....

Unread 10/26/2019, 04:29 PM   #3
deputydog95
Registered Member

Recent trident test.

Unread 10/26/2019, 04:30 PM   #4
swk
Registered Member

I’d always have random problems with long established pieces when mp40’s would start rusting. It was like clockwork for me. Maybe check out your equipment for signs of corrosion.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal SPS dominant reef. Geo calcium reactor with masterflex pump, Deltec 1455 skimmer, 2 mp40QD, mp10wes, lit by a 6x54 dimable ATI sunpower and controlled by Reef Angel
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2019, 05:53 PM   #5
Sam2832
Registered Member

Had the same thing happen last year to long established colonies.
Your parameters seem ok, you should try to get a frag of it just in case.
The one i lost to rtn

The remaining frag

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2019, 06:10 PM   #6
A Aaron
Registered Member

As someone said I did have something similar happen and found a frag rack rusty magnet. I thought it could be that since it’s only happened to one colony but it could be the most sensitive. May a icp test would be worth it? Better to spend the money and test Incase it gets worse.

A Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2019, 07:28 PM   #7
Pife
Registered Member

Do you know what aefw eggs look like? I'd guess a pest or it may need more flow.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2019, 11:17 AM   #8
macdaddynick1
Registered Member

Some things to check, exhausted DI resin, Flow, Low Potassium, Acropora Eating flatworm, really effective refugium that’s pulling the elements and nutrients out of the water. The colony it might not be getting enough light and your nutrients are too low for the colony to support the shaded parts. Not sure if those things are the answer in your case but one of those might guide you in the right direction.

macdaddynick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2019, 05:43 PM   #9
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Dip the colony and see if aefw are there. Big colony die with good quality water only either stress cause by pest or lack of flow. Frag s few frag dip in lugos solution and see if u can keep it and re grow it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2019, 10:40 PM   #10
A Aaron
Registered Member

Is it getting worse still

A Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2019, 03:20 PM   #11
C.Eymann
Cnidaria lover

I'd be trying to throw a little more flow at it and liue others mentioned be on the lookout for AEFW, both bitemarks and eggs. Camera macro lens can really help with this
Also how rapidly has this been receeding?

Current Tank Info: 80gal build in the works
C.Eymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2019, 09:09 AM   #12
deputydog95
Registered Member

Hi folks. Thanks for all the great replies. Just to update the thread...

It's been going on for about a month and tj colony is about smoked at this point.

Tons of flow with two Apex wav's, a gyre, and a healthy return pump.

Par for the colony is around 400. It's right at the top and is under 3 kessil 360 and 4 T5's.

I tried adding flatwork exit last weekend. Nothing happened with the first dose, added an extra dose and still nothing. So I'm guessing flat worms we're not the issue.

I've since lowered the alk, or tried to lower the alk to around 8 to take some stress off. Unfortunately the tank is barely pulling any alk or calcium while the colony is dying off. I have a ton of SPS and a large clam, so I'm guessing the die off is irritating everything.....

Unread 11/07/2019, 09:11 AM   #13
deputydog95
Registered Member

I did inspect the magnets, and didn't see any signs of compromise.

The most recent ICP test didn't show anything way out of line either.

RODI resins are fresh, as I just changed them all in the past month. TDS after the RO is 5 and 0 after the DI resin.

Unread 11/07/2019, 09:24 AM   #14
deputydog95
Registered Member

Here's a pic from a few minutes ago. Essentially the only parts left are the front and back where it's encrusted down the rock and up the bottom of the tank. Sad, this was a really cool piece and it was quite large.

I guess it needs to come out, but I have no idea how.

Any suggestions? It's pretty well welded itself to the rock and there are other corals that have encrusted on the same rock.

Or should I just start putting frags on top of it?

Unread 11/07/2019, 06:26 PM   #15
outssider
Registered Member

If it dies, you're going to have a huge algae mess. hermit crabs/snails are going to have a tough time getting between the branches. I have a friend that says he has used a long chisel and hammer (with coral still in the tank) that scares the hell out of me !....can you pull the whole rock out ? …..I have had rocks welded together with coral binding them

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2019, 07:36 PM   #16
deputydog95
Registered Member

It's already happening... The crabs and tangs are attacking it, but with so much light, so high in the tank, it's rapidly getting covered in algae.

Unfortunately there are a bunch of other corals on the same rock and it's all encrusted together.

I guess I could try taking my coral snips and breaking it apart. Will probably make a massive mess.

The die off is really ****ing the rest of the tank, big time. I turned my ca and alk dosing off today and the readings barely went down (using a Trident).... I was dosing 90ml a day of alk just to keep up prior to this getting all weird.

Running the skimmer a little wetter and doing a water change in the morning.

Unread 11/08/2019, 06:27 PM   #17
outssider
Registered Member

that rock is on the top of your tank. Can you pull the whole rock out ?

I would pull the whole rock, put it on the work table in my garage and start whacking it with a hammer and large screwdriver or chisel.... take care not to disturb the other corals on the rock.....(you will damage the other corals somewhat, try to have someone hold the rock while you whack on it)

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2019, 06:43 PM   #18
macdaddynick1
Registered Member

How old are your t5s?

macdaddynick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2019, 07:12 PM   #19
deputydog95
Registered Member

About 6 weeks. Reasonably new.

Unread 11/15/2019, 12:51 PM   #20
steallife904
Registered Member

had a colony the size of a soccer ball one time for no reason do the same and die. Nothing else in the tank affected, just the large one. Never found out why, my only guess was not enough light reaching the bottom and once it started it was to stressed to recover???????

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2019, 08:08 PM   #21
ineedhungry
Registered Member

Did you by chance and any new acro’s to your tank?

I had an issue once where I forgot to dip and acro and it came in with the acro eating worms. Started doing the same thing to my oldest acros. I ended up putting pipe fish in the tank and they ate the worms. Coral bounced back after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ineedhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2019, 08:01 AM   #22
five.five-six
Registered Member

Sorry to hear, very frustrating

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2019, 04:55 PM   #23
xgd
Registered Member

i feel it , sucks ..... i would do few water changes . try to frag and save .

xgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2019, 03:46 PM   #24
Bpb
Registered Member

Yeah. It happens. Can’t always pinpoint why either. Sometimes a colony just gets so big that it doesn’t get enough flow deep in the colony which will begin to stress it and once that sets in, normal bacterial infection can just consume the entire colony quickly. I recently lost two colonies roughly 18-20” across each at the widest point. Both started necrosing from the middle of the main trunk. And both stopped once there was about 1” left on a few branches. I usually just do a couple big water changes and run some poly filter for a week and stuff bounces back. It’s hard to keep huge colonies like that happy. Even with a ton of flow they tend to develop dead spots deep in the middle or base. No guarantee it was a pest or a errant parameter. Sometimes it’s just life in captivity. Even when you see videos detailing Sanjays’s tank or Paletta’s huge tanks, you’ll see the occasional RTN’d colony tucked among the bunch that doesn’t get mentioned in the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2019, 06:59 PM   #25
Softhammer
Registered Member

I have the exact same thing going on too. A chunk of green stag that I have had for over a decade has gone that way. I fragged 3 bits for survival and sure as hell it had red bugs. Doing an interceptor treatment tonight.