Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/25/2015, 08:59 AM   #1
youngfish
Registered Member

Gulping sound in Durso style overflow

My tank has 1 1/2" drain and 1" return. The drain is Durso style. My return pump is Eheim 1262 rated at 900GPH. If you consider the head loss (about 3-4'), the actual GPH is less. But I still get Gulping sound (like flushing every now and then) in the drain. Can anyone tell me what could go wrong? I think 1 1/2" drain is big enough for 900GPH return.

Thanks

youngfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2015, 09:12 AM   #2
nvladik
Registered Member

I think it's actually too big, that's the reason for the sound. you can try slowing it down a bit, but be careful not to do it too much and cause a flood. Or get more flow into the tank (bigger pump).

nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2015, 09:23 AM   #3
mikejrice
Registered Member

Can we get a picture of your overflow plumbing and entrance to the sump?

mikejrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2015, 12:50 PM   #4
jayball
Registered Member

I put this together to get rid of the backpressure, the air escapes out the top. It is all press fit and the bottom pipe is angle cut to let the water out. Only difficult part to find is where the soft line hits it, it is a cpvc to pvc adapter. I just brought an inch of the hose with me to Lowe's and played with fittings until I had something that looked right.

[IMG] photo 126C6E1C-2969-49C3-A21A-76B566AB1A0C_zpszjuo3i3h.jpg[/IMG]

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2015, 12:55 PM   #5
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngfish View Post
My tank has 1 1/2" drain and 1" return. The drain is Durso style. My return pump is Eheim 1262 rated at 900GPH. If you consider the head loss (about 3-4'), the actual GPH is less. But I still get Gulping sound (like flushing every now and then) in the drain. Can anyone tell me what could go wrong? I think 1 1/2" drain is big enough for 900GPH return.

Thanks
You need to dial in the air intake.

I start with a very small hole and I use a piece of foam for quiet, and for protection.

You can also use a air valve to adjust, like a 1/4 ro shut off valve. To much air it gulps. Not enough and you have issues.

Its like a carb

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2015, 02:20 PM   #6
Greybeard
Registered Member

I've got a factory drilled tank, 2x 1" holes, supposed to be a durso drain and a return line. Came with a 1"->1.5" adapter and 1.5" standpipe, street 90's to form the durso... Factory standard 'corner-flo' from marineland, I played with flow rates, a reverse durso at the sump (similar to what jayball is showing above) different air vents, etc... messed with it for over a month, and decided I was never going to be happy with it. Not that it was all that loud, but the tank is in my living room, the sound bugged the crap out of me.

Ran an external return, bought a 1" gate valve, and converted the 2 factory holes to a Herbie type setup. Simple, clean, problem free, and COMPLETELY SILENT!

I _highly_ recommend this sort of conversion.

Now I've gotta buy a quieter return pump. Couldn't hear it before, but the hum of my cheap DCT4000 pump is now the loudest noise the system makes.

Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2015, 09:04 AM   #7
tg1966
Registered Member

Could you please post a pic of your modification? Sounds like I need to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
I've got a factory drilled tank, 2x 1" holes, supposed to be a durso drain and a return line. Came with a 1"->1.5" adapter and 1.5" standpipe, street 90's to form the durso... Factory standard 'corner-flo' from marineland, I played with flow rates, a reverse durso at the sump (similar to what jayball is showing above) different air vents, etc... messed with it for over a month, and decided I was never going to be happy with it. Not that it was all that loud, but the tank is in my living room, the sound bugged the crap out of me.

Ran an external return, bought a 1" gate valve, and converted the 2 factory holes to a Herbie type setup. Simple, clean, problem free, and COMPLETELY SILENT!

I _highly_ recommend this sort of conversion.

Now I've gotta buy a quieter return pump. Couldn't hear it before, but the hum of my cheap DCT4000 pump is now the loudest noise the system makes.

tg1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2015, 04:54 PM   #8
Greybeard
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg1966 View Post
Could you please post a pic of your modification? Sounds like I need to do the same.
Sure

Shows rear of cornerflo, taller pipe has a 'trickle' of water, shorter pipe has full flow, restricted by gate valve. There's a strainer on the lower pipe... Hard to see. Outside pipe goes through bulkhead just so that it doesn't look sloppy... not really necessary. Eventually, I'm going to paint the outside tube black.

Shows the sump/underside of the system. Gate valve line comes from full flow lower pipe, straight pipe comes from trickle pipe, into refugeum section of sump, return pipe goes through bulkhead to outside return pipe.

hope this helps!

Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote