Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2019, 08:02 AM   #26
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Also wondering if the cherubs will eat my precious macroalgae?

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2019, 08:24 PM   #27
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Alright, I promised photos, so here they are. Not the greatest shots, but gives you an idea at least. Would still love any feedback if any of you know anything about my questions from the last two posts. I love the idea of a trio of cherubs in my tank, but I don't want them to be a problem for my gobies or my macroalgaes.
FTS.jpgFTS Close.jpgArrow Crab.jpgBlade Gorgonian.jpgRed Sponge.jpg

Unread 02/03/2019, 08:30 PM   #28
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Yellow Sponge.jpg

Red Serpent Star.jpg

Feather Duster.jpg

Red and Green Rock Flower.jpg

Large Rock Flower.jpg

Picked up a few other additions this weekend. A large rock flower anemone (about 5 inches across), a feather duster and a red serpent star.

Unread 02/03/2019, 11:13 PM   #29
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Great pics and your tank looks great too!

I looked into a cherub angel harem. I decided they were just too mean for my peaceful community.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2019, 06:52 AM   #30
vlangel
Registered Member

Thanks for the pics, its always fun to see what other folks are doing.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2019, 12:51 PM   #31
Chasmodes
Registered Member

The tank is looking good, lots of diversity there. Keeping multiple pygmy angels can be challenging from what I've read. I've done it with three different species (potters, flame and heralds), and they got along. I haven't done it with multiple members of the same species though. I'm curious, if you do this, how it would go. They're cute fish though, and will keep your entertained. I'd worry more about damsels being aggressive to your other fish choices more than I would angelfish. I guess the best thing is to do your research before making the investment. Maybe try a post on the reef fishes board?

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2019, 08:57 PM   #32
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Been doing tons of research on every fish I see that I'd consider. I am sure about the green banded gobies, but not sure if the Cherubs would put up with them or leave them be because they don't swim in the water column. Can't seem to find any experience from others with the two in the same tank or even similar species.

Unread 02/05/2019, 08:09 AM   #33
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

I’ve kept cherubs in the past and they’ve always been model citizens, but I’ve never kept a harem. Also mine eats my C. ashmeadii on occasion

Last edited by Bobbitworm13; 02/05/2019 at 08:15 AM.
Bobbitworm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2019, 08:57 AM   #34
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbitworm13 View Post
I’ve kept cherubs in the past and they’ve always been model citizens, but I’ve never kept a harem. Also mine eats my C. ashmeadii on occasion
Ever kept them with smaller gobies or blennys? I'd be ok with some Caulerpa consumption, as long as they don't wipe it all out.

Unread 02/05/2019, 09:08 AM   #35
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeoffaith View Post
Ever kept them with smaller gobies or blennys? I'd be ok with some Caulerpa consumption, as long as they don't wipe it all out.
I’ve kept them with smaller fish, they were fine

Bobbitworm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2019, 09:11 AM   #36
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbitworm13 View Post
I’ve kept them with smaller fish, they were fine
Awesome, thank you! The one that I had at one time messed with my clowns alot, but they swim in the water column, so wasn't sure how they would treat those who stick to the sand and rockwork.

Unread 02/07/2019, 08:29 AM   #37
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you hadn't done any research on your fish choices. Just that at some point, you have to either go for it or play it safe. Fish aren't cheap, so each direction is understandable.

I've kept larger pygmy angels with blennies before, never a problem. But, cherubs could have a different personality. I would think they'd leave gobies alone. I think the biggest question would be how would the harem get along with each other? But, who knows until you try, right? Maybe, if you pull off a harem of cherubs successfully, others will look to your thread in their research as inspiration. There are a lot of opinions out there about what will work and what will not, and some of those opinions are just rehashing other people's opinions and not based on actual experience.

I did a ton of research on blennies, in general, about keeping multiple blennies together, and multiple blennies within a species together. The standard answer is that you can, but you need a huge tank, or the fish will be too stressed. And, none of the fish could be too similar, much less the same species. Now, what was said could be true in some instances, with some species, etc. But, not all experiences apply universally.

About a year and a half ago, I collected several local juvenile 1" long blennies, all the same species, and they've done just fine. In fact, now, they're all adults, 4 males (each 3.5-4.5" long) and a female (3"), and they're breeding. Each blenny has their territory around their oyster shell, about 8" in diameter. And, all of this is happening in a 20g long. There are several skilletfish and gobies in the tank as well, a pretty heavy bioload for that size tank. Anyway, as it turns out, my tank mimics the population density in the wild of all three species of fish. They'll all get a larger home, a 100g build that I'm working on, but for now, everyone is happy. So, for all the research that I did prior to collecting these fish, none of it was relevant, as it turned out. Anyway, best of luck!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 02/07/2019, 10:05 AM   #38
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you hadn't done any research on your fish choices. Just that at some point, you have to either go for it or play it safe. Fish aren't cheap, so each direction is understandable.

I've kept larger pygmy angels with blennies before, never a problem. But, cherubs could have a different personality. I would think they'd leave gobies alone. I think the biggest question would be how would the harem get along with each other? But, who knows until you try, right? Maybe, if you pull off a harem of cherubs successfully, others will look to your thread in their research as inspiration. There are a lot of opinions out there about what will work and what will not, and some of those opinions are just rehashing other people's opinions and not based on actual experience.

I did a ton of research on blennies, in general, about keeping multiple blennies together, and multiple blennies within a species together. The standard answer is that you can, but you need a huge tank, or the fish will be too stressed. And, none of the fish could be too similar, much less the same species. Now, what was said could be true in some instances, with some species, etc. But, not all experiences apply universally.

About a year and a half ago, I collected several local juvenile 1" long blennies, all the same species, and they've done just fine. In fact, now, they're all adults, 4 males (each 3.5-4.5" long) and a female (3"), and they're breeding. Each blenny has their territory around their oyster shell, about 8" in diameter. And, all of this is happening in a 20g long. There are several skilletfish and gobies in the tank as well, a pretty heavy bioload for that size tank. Anyway, as it turns out, my tank mimics the population density in the wild of all three species of fish. They'll all get a larger home, a 100g build that I'm working on, but for now, everyone is happy. So, for all the research that I did prior to collecting these fish, none of it was relevant, as it turned out. Anyway, best of luck!
I knew you didn't mean anything by your comment. I'm a "research entirely too long and then discourage myself enough not to pull the trigger" kinda guy. In most cases I'm sure that's what is best for the fish anyway. In some cases it has probably limited my experiences a bit because I give up too easy. This one I'm 99% sure on, but I've said that before and still decided against it. I think I may just pull the trigger here shortly though. Looking forward to trying something that isn't done too often. I think what I like most about my livestock choices at this point is that they are pretty inexpensive compared to other options, and they should make a beautiful tank if it all works out. If it doesn't I do have two other small tanks that I could move things to if needed.

Unread 02/07/2019, 11:08 AM   #39
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Double Post

Unread 02/07/2019, 12:03 PM   #40
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
I knew you didn't mean anything by your comment. I'm a "research entirely too long and then discourage myself enough not to pull the trigger" kinda guy.
LOL, I'm do the same thing. On top of that, I'm a procrastinator and a worry wart!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 02/21/2019, 10:45 AM   #41
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Update? How are your macros doing?

Unread 02/22/2019, 06:48 AM   #42
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Most are doing well. I've kinda just let things settle in. I plan on some more macros and finally some fish soon. I will get some more photos after I get those in.

Unread 02/22/2019, 10:13 AM   #43
Subsea
Registered Member

Out of all the drawf angels, Pygmy are the most aggressive. I think you would do best not to crowd three in the same tank. I suggest you consider yellow & red as other choices of drawf angels.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/category...arf?c=15+16&r=

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2019, 06:42 AM   #44
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsea View Post
Out of all the drawf angels, Pygmy are the most aggressive. I think you would do best not to crowd three in the same tank. I suggest you consider yellow & red as other choices of drawf angels.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/category...arf?c=15+16&r=
Problem is there aren't any other small angelfish that I'd even consider keeping more than one in a 45 from the Caribbean. I'm well aware that I'm taking a bit of a risk, I'll be keeping a close eye on them once I get them in, and if I have to separate them I will.

Unread 03/15/2019, 11:26 AM   #45
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Fighting a losing battle against hair algae and a bit of cyano at the moment. Keep exporting and trying to clean up the rock, but it comes back with a vengeance.

I also had another mishap the other day. The tank being a rimless tank, it's been open ever since it had water added. I put together a frame with netting in it to protect from fish jumping out since I plan on adding some soon. It figures that the day after I do this my son feels the need to take the top off and add his own decoration to the tank, a Plink garbage disposal cleaner ball. They are small, but they're concentrated. By the time I found it, it was just the guts of the ball floating at the top of the tank. I did a water change right away and fired up my skimmer again and haven't noticed any major issues with the exception of a possible loss of my arrow crab.

If I get lucky I'll find some cool treasures at the local frag swap on the 31st. Looking forward to going with my wife.

Unread 03/15/2019, 12:38 PM   #46
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hair algae is a challenge. In my limited experience with it, removing the long parts gives your CUC the chance to keep it down. So a good, diverse crew is important. Having a fast growing macro, like ulva or caulerpa ready to take up nutrients can also help. Export, predation and competition (and persistence) are key. Good luck with it!

Unread 03/18/2019, 09:16 AM   #47
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

My concerns with adding predators for the hair algae is that they will also take out my display macroalgaes. Otherwise I'd get some emerald crabs and an urchin. For now manual removal and adding some more macros to compete for nutrients is my current plan.

Unread 04/01/2019, 07:03 AM   #48
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

I changed my light settings for a shorter light period which seems to be helping the hair algae die down along with my manual removal. Finally added some fish too. Two yellow headed pearly jawfish and two green banded gobies. Just hoping my arrow crab leaves them alone. The yellow heads have made themselves comfortable throwing sand everywhere. Hopefully I can update with some pictures before too long. Still trying to figure out some fish for the water column, but for now it's nice to have some fish in the mix.

Unread 04/01/2019, 07:33 PM   #49
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I changed my light settings for a shorter light period which seems to be helping the hair algae die down along with my manual removal. Finally added some fish too. Two yellow headed pearly jawfish and two green banded gobies. Just hoping my arrow crab leaves them alone. The yellow heads have made themselves comfortable throwing sand everywhere. Hopefully I can update with some pictures before too long. Still trying to figure out some fish for the water column, but for now it's nice to have some fish in the mix.
I love yellow head jawfish. Actually I have never had any but I think I would love them! It does sound like they are messy howevet.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote