Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/23/2015, 04:41 PM   #1
TxBeezy10
Registered Member

Exclamation Need peoples opinions

Hi everyone, I recently created this account so I could ask some people with more experience than myself. I am new to the salt water world after years of keeping fresh water fish, I got a 75G tank for my birthday and got it all set up with artificial coral and artificial live rock with live sand. It is all cycled and none of my fish are sick, however I cant add any more fish into my tank with out them being nonstop bullied and eventually killed. Keep in mind this isnt supposed to be a peaceful tank I got it with the main purpose of keeping a porcupine puffer, and my little Pablo the Puffer is doing great but Im wanting to get a couple colorful fish that can handle themselves against my predators. Current tank set up: 2 clown fish, one yellow tang, 2 blue damsels, 2 small fuzzy dwarf lionfish, a bursa trigger and a still small porcupine puffer. I know 75g isnt recommended for a porcupine but i am planning on getting a bigger tank for him to go in once he out grows it.

TxBeezy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2015, 05:59 PM   #2
TangingOut
Registered Member

Your tank is also too small for the trigger and marginal for the tang. Why do you want to add more fish, it's already over stocked.

TangingOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2015, 08:33 PM   #3
mushumatt
Registered Member

Dang man your tank is way overstocked

Current Tank Info: 40 BR w/20L sump
mushumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2015, 08:39 PM   #4
stingeragent
Registered Member

Blue damsels are always devil's. I used to have one that would try to attack a trigger 3x his size. Also agree your tank is overstocked. You really can't do a peaceful tank and predator tank in 1, unless you have a giant hundreds of gallons tank. If you have predator fish you like, and peaceful one's it's simple . Get two tanks. That's what I did. If you've kept freshwater fish for years you should know this. Can't put a guppy in a cichlid tank and expect all to be well.

stingeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2015, 08:48 PM   #5
fishy boy
Moved On

Change to a peaceful much less stress and more fish

fishy boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2015, 10:54 PM   #6
thegrun
Registered Member

Beyond the overstocking problem with in of itself will make fish much more aggressive, you have some highly aggressive fish that will not easily accept new tank mates. I have a frien who had to remove his trigger from his 300 gallon system as it would not allow him to add any fish beyond what was already in his tank.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2015, 11:23 AM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

A damsel requires at least 100 gallons.
The fish you prefer do not match the size of the tank you have, which is a problem. If you could swing a 100-150 or larger you would have a happier situation, but if room and budget are a concern, then going to fish (blennies, gobies, fairy wrasses, dwarf angel, etc) that thrive in that size would be your better bet. My advice is do one or the other, but the aggression level in a too-small tank is not going to lead to a happy tank.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new fish dying, new fish problem, porcupine puffer, saltwater