Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2018, 06:23 PM   #1
MikeC120
Registered Member

Co2 Tank mishap/nightmare

OK so I had one of my biggest fears happened to me today.
I picked up A CO 2 tank for my new Calcium reactor endeavor.
I put it in my basement, of course I got the 20lb tank because I won't have to fill it as often as a 10 pounder... right? wrong..........

I put the tank downstairs in my fish Room and went to take a nap.
I got woken up 2 hours later by a horrendous noise and my wife screaming!!!
The 20lb tank was spewing out Co2 throughout the basement?
Nobody was down there thank goodnes no one got hurt.

Droped my pH in my 325gal system from 8.23 to 6.94 in 15 minutes.

I rented this tank from a local soda place . When you need a refill you just pay for refills and can get your deposit back for the tank should you ever not need it any more.

I realize this is not a common occurrence but my problem now is how do I trust this company on my next co2 tank. I don't think I can.
In your opinion do you think I am better off/safer buying my own NEW tank and having it refilled and safety checked as needed.

What would you do?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

"January 2016 Tank of the Month"

Current Tank Info: 140 BB DT ,ATI w/35 settling tank,75 gal DIY sump & 50Gal corner,20 gal sump,15gal settling tank
MikeC120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2018, 07:59 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Mike,
I bought a new tank also.
When it came time to refill I used a soda company also.
Unless I was willing to come back later a swap was my only choice.
So I get a swap & a break on the price whenever needed.
If you can find a welding shop I used them when in Hicksville.
No idea on what to say about the experience you had.
Could have been a faulty valve or a few other things.
Only a CO2 detector would have alerted you earlier.

Unread 11/01/2018, 08:23 AM   #3
MikeC120
Registered Member

Thanks Vinny

Current Tank Info: 140 BB DT ,ATI w/35 settling tank,75 gal DIY sump & 50Gal corner,20 gal sump,15gal settling tank
Unread 11/01/2018, 10:31 AM   #4
Editour2
Frank

Mike,
I agree with Vinny....even if you purchase your own...they are going to swap out another tank when you get it refilled. I had a leak on my 20lb tank at the beginning of this year. I went through the tank in less than a week but it was leaking in my fish room so the ph wasn't really effected in my tank. It's hard to detect a slow leak. The leak was NOT with the tank but one of the gauges on my CO2 regulator that I didn't pick up when I did the soap test. You can ask the place who is filling the tank to test before you leave.....the guy/store in Patchogue (off of Main Street) was pretty good and he is the 1 who identified the issue for me.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2018, 11:37 AM   #5
MikeC120
Registered Member

No not me you get one chance at blowing up a 20 pound C02 tank in my basement It was either the incorrect disc or compromised and ruptured prematurely, or more likely the tank was overfilled and it blew when the liquid expanded.
I ordered 2 brand new 10lb tanks from beverage factory.com. got 30% off shipped. I have a lead on a few places that will fill while you wait and if I have to I will leave it and come back it's just peace of mind this thing didn't leak slowly it literally expelled all the CO2 in less than 15 minutes.

Unread 11/01/2018, 12:23 PM   #6
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

The tank will be COLD after filling & the gas will warm & expand but pressure wise only about 50-100 lbs. on a 10 pounder. I wind up just around 1,000 PSI but not over.

Unread 11/04/2018, 06:30 AM   #7
MikeC120
Registered Member

Ok so I woke up this morning freezing my *** off.
I guess it makes sense now the co2 bottle sucked the oxygen out of the room and my pilot light on my gas burner went out.
Got it re-lit and warming up now lol