Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/07/2021, 04:03 PM   #1
goleafsgo
Registered Member

Weird Algae taking over

Hi guys, I have this weird GHA looking algae that was on couple of frags that has now taken over my tank. Can any ID it or help with removal.

It looks like GHA but is latched on to the rock harder than bryopsis (which I've dealt with before). On close inspections it is like lawn grass, single stock and has a bit of crunch to it... I don't believe it is turf algae.

I've tried pulling it off the rock but usually the frags its attached to come with it... most of my Zoas are now little balls of free floating polyps/stringy algae.

Here are some pics... Please ignore the GHA which has grown onto of this unknown algae.

Unread 04/07/2021, 04:38 PM   #2
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

looks like a form of turf to me & i can tell you its a real headache to rid, not much eats it except bulldozers like sea urchins & they will destroy a small reef tank while feeding sadly.
Scarlet hermits won't touch it either, tried that and found no snail as of yet that will either.
Removing by hand i found to be impossible, its a scourge algae for sure.
I am slowly finding relief by keeping my ALK high as it only took hold when my ALK fell low on me so i expect it will take at least a yr min to rid it naturally if at all. My encrusting corals are slowly taking the live rock back so it works.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2021, 05:48 PM   #3
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Of all the things I can think of that might eat that, I'd guess a Foxface.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote