Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2011, 01:08 PM   #151
Finsky
Registered Member

I have a five foot 125 mixed reef and the two 3,250 gph Koralia Hydor 8 circulating pumps was one of the best things I did for my aquarium.

I have one 6" under the surface in the upper left end three inches from the front facing slightly upward towards the opposite back right corner.

I have a second 6" under the surface in the upper right end three inches from the front facing slightly upward towards the opposite back left corner.

These two currents crash into as well as flow through/past the opposing Hydor 8's current gives the water:

"Laminar flow straight, unidirectional flow, like that produced from a powerhead, or at the latter stages of a wave whose energy has been channeled in one direction by the reef.

Surge is similar, only on a larger scale. To an observer viewing a school of fish, surge is when the school remains in the same pocket of water, but due to surge, the pocket of water and the school of fish suddenly move six feet in one direction, and just as quickly move back.

Turbulence: Turbulence is the random flow of water in multiple directions. Of the three flow patterns, turbulence is the most desirable and the most difficult to produce."

My two red rose bubble tips and two green bubble tips along with various lps and sps corals, zoanthus, mushrooms, two maxima and two crocea clams along with my various tangs, mated pair of tomato clowns, damsels, etc. much health.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef - 250 lbs of live rock, Rena XP4, two Hydor Koralia 3250s, Aqua-Medic Tuboflotor multi 1000 skimmer - Two 60" Marineland Reef Capable LEDs - 8 1/2 years
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2011, 02:44 PM   #152
Dragon moray ki
Registered Member

Smile

Mine did the same thing pesky lfs try gost shrimp to entice him to eat and then he may sart eating frozen again

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Green moray tank connected to 400 gallon shark pond. 90 gallon mixed reef
Dragon moray ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2012, 09:57 AM   #153
pooldude
Registered Member

wow

pooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2012, 10:55 PM   #154
gamecockfan803
Registered Member

Great article

gamecockfan803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2013, 11:10 AM   #155
eel guy
Registered Member

lol i fed my lions (volitans ) by hand as a do all my preds

eel guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2013, 09:29 PM   #156
SantaMonica
Registered Member

My only recommendation for FW feeders is if they are needed to get a blue ribbon eel to eat. Of course any ribbon eel must have an enclosed pipe to cover his entire length or else he'll never eat (scared of being seen/eaten), but dumping 20 feeder golds/guppys in can do wonders to snap the eel into feeding mode.

Then it's time to switch to silversides.

Unread 01/07/2014, 09:03 PM   #157
DpsiQ00
Registered Member

I'm thinking about putting a tessi, and a blackedge together. I've had a zebra eel, an a yellow head eel with other tank mates but never two eels together in the tank. Has any one had any luck? I've seen videos on YouTube, that's what gave me the idea of trying it.

DpsiQ00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2015, 10:53 AM   #158
Fish Stix
Registered Member

It's really not that hard to get your predators on pellet food...

Fish Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2015, 09:58 PM   #159
Finsky
Registered Member

My 12" and growing Stars-n-Stripes puffer, "The Captain", loves Hikari Massive Delite. Each round thick Nugget is gobbled as quick as I can drop them and I need to regulate his eating as he would eat half a bag and make himself sick.

My 7" Annularis Angel likes them broken in quarters and the 5-6" Picasso, Indian, and Undulated Triggers will bite the in half as they sink. I have had a 3" Huma Huma Rectangular Trigger who has not been introduced to the massive for the big boys!

47% protein and lots of vitamins.

It's Hikari for my aqua beast.. I mean aqua kids.

Unread 07/07/2015, 10:03 PM   #160
Finsky
Registered Member

Addendum, I was putting a sponge prefilter in my canister intake near where I put the krill and the Captain happened to be nearby and clamped on my middle finger. I yanked my hand out of the water and I think I scared him as much as my finger hurt although only temporarily. It could have been worse as he has a lot of crunching power. :-)

Unread 08/08/2015, 01:37 PM   #161
deaddat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Stix View Post
It's really not that hard to get your predators on pellet food...
Tell me about your scorpionfish experience...

deaddat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2015, 06:53 AM   #162
tsunade
Registered Member

Very good article. Thanks for sharing

tsunade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2016, 03:05 AM   #163
MadCnty
Registered Member

Wink

When I was working at a LFS a customer wanted to buy a green moray... He liked to slide between our tanks at night and eat other fishes... Well as I was netting said moray he writhed out of the net onto the floor... I though np I will just reach down and catch him like a snake...lol Needless to say I learned quite a lesson that day... :P
Also we had a customer tank that we did bi-weekly maintenance on... They had a dog faced puffer that was the meanest fish I ever dealt with... I know this is no shark or lion but he was a sneaky sob and would bite/spit every chance he got...

Last edited by MadCnty; 02/11/2016 at 03:10 AM. Reason: forgot to add...
MadCnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 04:41 PM   #164
OBPuffski
Registered Member

Current tank 125- Spike puffer, snowflake eels, red/orange frog, fox face & benny.

I would like to add Huma and Niger Trigger anyone have advice regarding compatibility to my existing ecosystem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OBPuffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2017, 12:28 PM   #165
Martin72
Registered Member

Hi I'm relatively new to the hobby got a aquael 150 110gallon tank been up and running 6 months now. Really need some advice on my new lionfish had him 10 days and he's not eaten once yet he's swimming round no problem but when I try to feed him he just isn't bothered tried with a feeding stick glass shrimp mussels clams don't know where to turn. Should I just keep going the way I am and he'll not let himself starve and self presavation will kick in or is there anything else I can do.

Martin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2017, 07:06 PM   #166
carrots
Registered Member

Martin, try live feeder guppies to assure he eats then train it to take food off feeding stick.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2017, 04:13 PM   #167
Martin72
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice but I have been trying the feeder stick from day one. But I think the guppies or mollies might help first day of treatment was today got another two days but I'll pick up 3 or 4 guppies tomorrow. Hopefully he will be able to see soon��

Martin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 01:41 AM   #168
socalireefdood
Registered Member

good read

socalireefdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 10:24 PM   #169
cwschoon
Registered Member

Has anyone ever had an Angler take frozen food? I have not and tho I would like to get one, I will not if the general consensus is no. I will not feed a saltwater fish freshwater fish.
Thanks.

cwschoon is offline   Reply With Quote