Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/30/2017, 11:29 PM   #1
BwoodBuc17
Registered Member

Best, if any, Smasher for Aquatics Classroom Aquarium

Hi There!

I am in an aquatics class at school and we are designing setups.
I want a Smasher as the highlight of my tank, however the assignment states that I must have at least two Compatible Organisms in the tank. (Compatible in a looser sense. They can't kill each other, basically). Are any smashers compatible with anything else? If so, what? Also,the tank will more than likely be in a room with about 30 other student's tanks, and could even border a window facing the hallway of the school. Will this be an issue? Finally, I would need it to be reasonably common in Houston LFS's, or easily ordered by such, as It needs to be in my tank on schedule for grading. Is all this even possible?

Thank yall for your time.

BwoodBuc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 09:15 AM   #2
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

Sounds like an awesome school. I would look into a N. wennerae or a smaller gonodactylus. You can get N. wennerae from salty bottom reef and could also get a cherub angel or other small fish to go with it. Hth

Bobbitworm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2017, 08:17 AM   #3
BwoodBuc17
Registered Member

Thanks!

I proposed this to the group, and they were pretty fussy. Turns out they want a Lyretail/Lunare Wrasse because they look like Darth Maul. Go figure. I looked it up, and liveaquaria states that they eat mantis shrimp. Is this true of all species? I find it hard to believe that they could take on a peacock, but would a peacock take them on?

Thanks!

Unread 10/02/2017, 12:06 PM   #4
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

Any mantis is a no go with a wrasse, the mantis will be eaten if small or the mantis will turn the sleeping wrasse into a midnight snack.

Unread 10/02/2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

Also, what size tank is this?

Unread 10/02/2017, 01:39 PM   #6
Mr. Manty
Registered Member

Ive been keeping a peacock with a pinkface wrasse (very similar to lyretail) for a couple months now. Has gone well. My peacock is a wuss, though.

Mr. Manty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2017, 01:40 PM   #7
BwoodBuc17
Registered Member

Good to know. Told them wrasse is a no go, and the dumb***es began looking at "Nemo and Dory" :P The group i have is a bunch of sweat hogs who know nothing of aquariums other than "Oooh look at da purty fishie" Tragic. Nonetheless, they seem to have a go big or go home attitude, and are insisting on a Large Mantis or None at all. Assuming I can have up to a 200 Gal tank, are any fish able to be housed with a peacock, or do I just need to save the Mantis for another time?

Unread 10/02/2017, 08:32 PM   #8
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

If you have a 200 gallon aquarium you should get lionfish or some other big preds. A mantis would probably be more enjoyable in something smaller where you can interact with it more. If you are stuck on a mantis, in a 200 a wrasse should be fine. I was assuming the tank would be a 40 breeder or similar tank

Unread 10/03/2017, 09:49 AM   #9
BwoodBuc17
Registered Member

alright. the tank options we were given are 10, 30, 55, and 75 GAL. At this point the consensus is a peacock and any animal available that won't kill or be killed. Any suggestions? it does not have to be a fish

Unread 10/03/2017, 09:54 AM   #10
BwoodBuc17
Registered Member

Alright, So Teacher said we Can do Specimen only, so I dont have the cohabitation issue any more!

Unread 10/03/2017, 05:51 PM   #11
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

Go with the 75