Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/17/2017, 06:27 AM   #1
Ironwood
Registered Member

SPS and I don't get along

I have been trying to keep SPS for a couple of years now and for some reason just can't keep it alive. My parameters have been stable for a long time. I'm able to keep softies, clam, Anemone without a problem. My parameters are PH 8.1, Alk 8-9, Cal 400, Mag 1400, Nitrate 0. I use red sea coral pro salt Last Jan I updated my lighting to Radion pro's from reef breeders and still can't keep SPS. I'm starting to wonder if my well water has something in it that is causing the problem. I use an rodi system the results in o tds at the output but still wonder if I'm missing something. My powerheads are two Maxspec 230's flow seems good. My tank size is 150gal with a 40gal sump. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 06:32 AM   #2
Gweeds
Registered Member

Could be chemical warfare from the softies potentially... you mention alk of 8-9... how often does that fluctuate? If that's over a month that'd be fine, if it's over 24 hours would be too much of a swing for most SPS to deal with. Also, nitrates are on the low side, if it's truly zero then I would think softies in particular would be struggling... I'm guessing it's either a dodgy test or they're being used as they're produced. You might want to try upping nitrates a little. Also, what's your po4 reading? If this is on the high side, nems and softies will be fine but it can interfere with calcification...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gweeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 07:56 AM   #3
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweeds View Post
Could be chemical warfare from the softies potentially... you mention alk of 8-9... how often does that fluctuate? If that's over a month that'd be fine, if it's over 24 hours would be too much of a swing for most SPS to deal with. Also, nitrates are on the low side, if it's truly zero then I would think softies in particular would be struggling... I'm guessing it's either a dodgy test or they're being used as they're produced. You might want to try upping nitrates a little. Also, what's your po4 reading? If this is on the high side, nems and softies will be fine but it can interfere with calcification...

Thanks for the response. My Alk does move a little but it is very slow. I use a redsea test kit for measuring Nitrate and it always seems to come out zero even though I have a lot of fish and feed fairly heavy.
At this time I don't know what my Po4 is. I use to have a hanna checker but it always read zero even though I had algae so I got rid of it. I use to run GFO in a reactor but stopped a couple of months ago thinking that it could be the culprit but that didn't seem to change anything either. That is why I'm starting to think that it is something to do with my well water.

Unread 10/17/2017, 08:00 AM   #4
Gweeds
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
Thanks for the response. My Alk does move a little but it is very slow. I use a redsea test kit for measuring Nitrate and it always seems to come out zero even though I have a lot of fish and feed fairly heavy.
At this time I don't know what my Po4 is. I use to have a hanna checker but it always read zero even though I had algae so I got rid of it. I use to run GFO in a reactor but stopped a couple of months ago thinking that it could be the culprit but that didn't seem to change anything either. That is why I'm starting to think that it is something to do with my well water.
Zero nitrates and phosphates is a common result in a tank with algae... the nutes are used up by the algae before they can register in the water column. That you're getting zero TDS but don't know the po4 would suggest to me that you check that avenue before blaming the well water...

Do you still have algae or not? What nutrient export are you using?

Unread 10/17/2017, 08:17 AM   #5
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Zero nitrates and phosphates is a common result in a tank with algae... the nutes are used up by the algae before they can register in the water column. That you're getting zero TDS but don't know the po4 would suggest to me that you check that avenue before blaming the well water...

Do you still have algae or not? What nutrient export are you using?

I do have some algae but it's not bad. I use a Skimmer for export I use to use a reef Octopus but upgraded to a Skimz even though they seem to work the same.

Unread 10/17/2017, 08:43 AM   #6
Gweeds
Registered Member

Quote:
I do have some algae but it's not bad. I use a Skimmer for export I use to use a reef Octopus but upgraded to a Skimz even though they seem to work the same.
Ok, so I'd check po4 for sure... if that's at zero too, could be the issue.

What's your lighting schedule and intensity?

Also, what SPS have you tried?

Unread 10/17/2017, 10:53 AM   #7
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, so I'd check po4 for sure... if that's at zero too, could be the issue.

What's your lighting schedule and intensity?

Also, what SPS have you tried?

So SPS likes/needs phosphate? I have tried Montipora, acropora.

Unread 10/17/2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Gweeds
Registered Member

Quote:
A thin line... the zoox need some po4 but too much inhibits calcification. Aim for somewhere around 0.010ppm to 0.025ppm.

Unread 10/17/2017, 01:48 PM   #9
murphreef
Registered Member

How do your SPS end up dying? RTN, STN, bleaching ?? How they die will tell a lot on what might be happening.

I would strongly suggest changing up salt brands. Sometimes certain salts just have something off in them even if you measure everything something might be off. I would suggest trying Tropic Marin Pro and do some large 10-20% water changes a few days apart until you have done approximately 100% in WC.

Everytime I see issues in my tank a decent WC always seems to help.

Current Tank Info: 25G cube (finally back in the hobby in a small way)
murphreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 03:25 PM   #10
Gweeds
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe try birdsnest (seriatopora) once any issues are sorted... pretty hardy as sps go, certainly less finnicky than acros.

Also, flow... what sort of turnover are you achieving?

You'll need good, random flow with around 50x tank volume per hour... don't forget most manufacturers overstate maximum flow rates.

Unread 10/17/2017, 03:53 PM   #11
outssider
Registered Member

If you have many fish and feed them well, I doubt low nutrients are your problem even if their showing up as .....0....

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2017, 08:14 PM   #12
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

If you are driving your N and P toward zero with GFO, Organic Carbon or Lanthanum Chloride, then stop. If they are there naturally, then you are OK - be assured that you have some. If you were/are driving them too low, this is usually a dull-color thing and not death.

Do you tinker with your lights?

If you run your well water through RO/DI and the DI is not exhausted, then you are probably OK. Get a Triton or other ICP test if you want to be sure.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 06:08 PM   #13
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphreef View Post
How do your SPS end up dying? RTN, STN, bleaching ?? How they die will tell a lot on what might be happening.

I would strongly suggest changing up salt brands. Sometimes certain salts just have something off in them even if you measure everything something might be off. I would suggest trying Tropic Marin Pro and do some large 10-20% water changes a few days apart until you have done approximately 100% in WC.

Everytime I see issues in my tank a decent WC always seems to help.
Thx

Unread 10/19/2017, 06:11 PM   #14
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
If you have many fish and feed them well, I doubt low nutrients are your problem even if their showing up as .....0....
I have 16 fish and I think that I over feed which it surprises me that my po4 and po3 come out to 0

Unread 10/19/2017, 06:15 PM   #15
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
If you are driving your N and P toward zero with GFO, Organic Carbon or Lanthanum Chloride, then stop. If they are there naturally, then you are OK - be assured that you have some. If you were/are driving them too low, this is usually a dull-color thing and not death.

Do you tinker with your lights?

If you run your well water through RO/DI and the DI is not exhausted, then you are probably OK. Get a Triton or other ICP test if you want to be sure.
I use to run Gfo but stopped bout 8 weeks ago. I make sure my DI is not exhausted when I make water. I am thinking of getting a test done at triton and considering going down the triton path. Thanks

Unread 10/23/2017, 06:45 AM   #16
awais98
SPS

How does your sps die? It may help point us in the right direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 240DT SPS DOMINANT
awais98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 06:47 AM   #17
awais98
SPS

How old is you tank?

Unread 10/23/2017, 07:36 PM   #18
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awais98 View Post
How does your sps die? It may help point us in the right direction

Usually my sps dies from bleaching and then algae seems to take over. For example my last red montipora started get lighter in color so I thought is
T was too much light so I lowered it in the tank. It never seemed to get any better and eventually jus t had algae all over it.

Unread 10/23/2017, 07:39 PM   #19
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
How old is you tank?

I have have a reef tank for three years although last December I upgraded to a 150 from a 72 but used the same rock and sump.

Unread 10/23/2017, 08:46 PM   #20
awais98
SPS

What substrate are you using?

Unread 10/23/2017, 08:47 PM   #21
awais98
SPS

Again what is your phos?

Unread 10/23/2017, 09:41 PM   #22
Ssteve
Registered Member

Get a Hanna alk checked and check twice a day. Make sure your alk is rock solid and you should be fine. Almost all issues with keeping sps revolve around alk swings. I expect to keep my alk stable to the tenth and if I get more than two to three tenths swing in 24hrs then I know something is off. Much more than that and things will start to suffer, once you start seeing a full point swing you'll start to lose stuff.

Ssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 07:49 PM   #23
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
What substrate are you using?

Caribbean ocean direct

Unread 10/25/2017, 07:50 PM   #24
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Again what is your phos?

I’m not sure. I got rid of my Hanna checker because it always read 0

Unread 10/25/2017, 07:51 PM   #25
Ironwood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssteve View Post
Get a Hanna alk checked and check twice a day. Make sure your alk is rock solid and you should be fine. Almost all issues with keeping sps revolve around alk swings. I expect to keep my alk stable to the tenth and if I get more than two to three tenths swing in 24hrs then I know something is off. Much more than that and things will start to suffer, once you start seeing a full point swing you'll start to lose stuff.

Thanks