Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2017, 12:15 PM   #1
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Coralline or no?

Hi all. I have a tank that I'm preparing to be an SPS tank. I started it with acid batched and Lanthanum Chloride prepared dry rock... and after too long... the tank is running well. My plan is to stock fish first, get the tank stable, and begin stocking corals.

Because I started the tank with dry rock, I haven't got any Coralline growing. I've been tempted to seed it to get it started. BUT... I'm questioning the wisdom of doing so. Coralline can be pretty but is a PIA. I plan on the corals completely encrusting most of the rock. Considering my plans, I'd be interested in hearing what RC members think about Coralline... Yea or Nay, and why? Thanks.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 12:56 PM   #2
James404
I <3 Acros

It's pretty much a given that coraline will start to grow in a tank, especially an SPS tank that requires the same conditions that make coraline thrive.

I wouldn't go out of my way to seed it, but it's just a matter of time before it is introduced.

Unread 10/22/2017, 03:21 PM   #3
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James404 View Post
It's pretty much a given that coraline will start to grow in a tank, especially an SPS tank that requires the same conditions that make coraline thrive.

I wouldn't go out of my way to seed it, but it's just a matter of time before it is introduced.
+1

I'd bet that no matter how hard you try to keep it out, it will start...... just like regular algae...

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 04:22 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I happily employ an urchin to keep my tank free of coralline as best as possible..
Never understood actively wanting to increase/grow it..

Unread 10/22/2017, 08:26 PM   #5
ROB2005
Reefing Is My Passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I happily employ an urchin to keep my tank free of coralline as best as possible..
Never understood actively wanting to increase/grow it..

To each his own, I have it growing on my overflow and my rocks. It adds a little flair to my tanks, yeah sounds weird lol.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon corner overflow, 4-54W T-5 , dozen blue hermits, tiger pistol/yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, banghai and pajama cardinals
ROB2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 01:34 PM   #6
alanbetiger
Registered Member

The SPS will be able to grow over it so personally I think it'll make you rock look better in the mean time. But like others said, it'll come eventually without you needing to seed it. I had an urchin for hair algae a few years ago that moved to montipora instead so be careful.

alanbetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 01:38 PM   #7
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James404 View Post

+1

But. I would seed it. I don't like it growing on the sides and or equipment, but I prefer purple over white rock. I suppose I like more of a natural look, and bone white doesn't fit that, but that's just me. As you've heard, its more of a personal preference

ReefMaster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 09:05 PM   #8
lionfish300
Registered Member

Scraping of glass panels is a pita for me

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 11:18 AM   #9
RobSpeed13
Registered Member

My first aquarium grew coralline like crazy. mixed reef. Now my latest aquarium which is SPS dominant doesnt grow it at all. at one point the back wall started to get some, but then it bleached and stopped growing. My SPS look fine and are growing so im not complaining.

RobSpeed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 11:29 AM   #10
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

A while back there was a thread with people showing pictures of same tank, with and without coraline. After seeing pictures of all the tanks, the consensus was unanimously no coraline definitely looks better.

so don't try to go out of your way to seed it.

I try to scrape every bit I see off. Then after a while, I got busy and neglected it, then just figure, it looks fine with coraline (rationalization for getting lazy). but really, I prefer without.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote