Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/15/2010, 12:04 PM   #76
shark007
Registered Member

I have flatworms and the above pic of the white critter on the monti. What should I treat the tank with?

shark007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2010, 01:03 AM   #77
M King
Registered Member

Montipora eating nudibranchs

Discovered something unusual about one of my montiporas ...after careful
inspection I found it was had several monti /nudis and the eggs. I removed two frags that were close together plus I inspected 3 others but did not find any sign of them being infected..
What is the the chance that I got them all by removing the infected frags from the tank?
Do you think it would be best to remove all the motiporas from the tank and keep them quarantined for two to three weeks? Thanks for your help.

M King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2010, 03:19 AM   #78
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark007 View Post
I have flatworms and the above pic of the white critter on the monti. What should I treat the tank with?
Do you have AEFW's? If so there is no in tank treatment.

For Montipora Eating nudibranch, here is a good article for them: http://www.reeffarmers.com/tracygraynudi01.htm

There always manual remove too.

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2010, 03:23 AM   #79
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by M King View Post
Discovered something unusual about one of my montiporas ...after careful
inspection I found it was had several monti /nudis and the eggs. I removed two frags that were close together plus I inspected 3 others but did not find any sign of them being infected..
What is the the chance that I got them all by removing the infected frags from the tank?
Do you think it would be best to remove all the motiporas from the tank and keep them quarantined for two to three weeks? Thanks for your help.
quarantining all monti would be a good idea. I don't think 2 weeks is long enough. I seems the their egg hatch in 2 weeks time. I would say that a longer quarantine period would be better.

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Unread 03/18/2010, 08:27 PM   #80
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Location: Milky Way Galaxy 3rd planet from the sun, in a country called USA!
is there a documented quarintine method for sps, say in reefkeeping magizine or some other source that is well respected? i'd like to insure as best as possible no pest into the aquarium.

reefsahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2010, 08:47 PM   #81
steely185
Registered Member

Well got some bad new today. I came home and found a coral of mine that has acropora eating flat worms.

Here's some pics of their eggs:

I figured I would share the pics of the egg masses to help anyone else id them.

Unread 03/24/2010, 02:06 AM   #82
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Sorry to hear that Dan. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Unread 03/24/2010, 04:32 PM   #83
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

I found monti eating nudibranchs on my cap today. Dug through this and every linked thread here, quite a few on a search, can't seem to find a working solution...

Everything I see requires removal of the coral to some sort of QT tank or dipping container. What about those who can't just remove it? I took about 4 nudi's off and threw them in a microscope slide just to be sure, and did my best to suck up and scrub the cap, but I know there are things hiding in cracks I can't get to..

Any idea on a good predator? Even better, one that will work in a nano even if its temporary? Loaner control method.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 07:28 PM   #84
Mick213
Registered Member

Quote:
I found monti eating nudibranchs on my cap today. Dug through this and every linked thread here, quite a few on a search, can't seem to find a working solution...

Everything I see requires removal of the coral to some sort of QT tank or dipping container. What about those who can't just remove it? I took about 4 nudi's off and threw them in a microscope slide just to be sure, and did my best to suck up and scrub the cap, but I know there are things hiding in cracks I can't get to..

Any idea on a good predator? Even better, one that will work in a nano even if its temporary? Loaner control method.
I have found that Tropic Marine pro Coral cure works. I have Monti eating Nuties as well but mine have grazed upon my Porites as well as my Spongideis<-- Spelled wrong I know)just trying to let you know I'm in the same boat as you and trying to eliminate the buggers!!!!

Mick213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 07:32 PM   #85
Mick213
Registered Member

I'm about ready to get ridd of my Monti caps and Porites and just go Accro !!!

Mick213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2010, 08:02 AM   #86
chernandez
Registered Member

Is this a flatworm? on my acro. I did interceptor about month and half ago I started vodka dosing a week ago this is the first time seeing anything on them and it didnt like light either any help would be great.

Current Tank Info: ADA 90-P
chernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2010, 06:38 PM   #87
pwoller
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernandez View Post
Is this a flatworm? on my acro. I did interceptor about month and half ago I started vodka dosing a week ago this is the first time seeing anything on them and it didnt like light either any help would be great.

Doesnt look like any that I've seen. I'd still get it off the coral though. Any tissue lose or eggs?

pwoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2010, 07:20 PM   #88
chernandez
Registered Member

I took it off right after taking the pic didn't want to chance it

Current Tank Info: ADA 90-P
chernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2010, 12:33 PM   #89
aquaph8
Love The Fish

Im going with the out of DT interceptor treatment. I have a 5 gallon tank that I will use for treatment. The DT will stay sps free for 5-6 days during treatment and observation. What lighting can I get away with for the 5-6 days. The tank is 20 inches wide. Any other tips from anybody that has gone this treatment route are really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2010, 01:46 PM   #90
rmeads
Registered Member

Red bugs treatment

I am getting ready to treat my two Acros who have redbugs with Interceptor in a hospital tank. I will mostly follow Brian's instructions, but I am curious whether (and why) I need to provide filtration? What kind of filtration would be best? What about a live rock from my display tank after the water changes to remove the chemicals?

Thanks!

rmeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2010, 09:14 AM   #91
Mr. Right
Registered Member

Perhaps you all can help…Lately my monti’s haven’t looked so hot. Couple nights ago I noticed something that looked like black paper on my cap. After watching for a bit the black spots stated moving. I researched them and found these "black bugs" are similar to red bugs but prefer monti’s. With that I want to do a DT interceptor treatment. I’d really like your thoughts on the bugs and my remedy.

Thanks
Carlos

Current Tank Info: Old tanks: 37gal mixed, 57 gal mixed, 120 sps. Current tank 18”x18”x18” rimless in the works.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2010, 02:36 PM   #92
fishdoc11
catch and release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Right View Post
Perhaps you all can help…Lately my monti’s haven’t looked so hot. Couple nights ago I noticed something that looked like black paper on my cap. After watching for a bit the black spots stated moving. I researched them and found these "black bugs" are similar to red bugs but prefer monti’s. With that I want to do a DT interceptor treatment. I’d really like your thoughts on the bugs and my remedy.

Thanks
Carlos
The bugs will in fact be killed by the Interceptor treatment. I prefer the in tank treatment because I feel the corals are less stressed and if performed correctly there is little collateral damage (aside from the expected death of arthropods (shrimp and crabs)). Of course deciding in tank or QT will likely be based on amount of coral etc... I have never seen them on Acros but would be worried if you are removing Monti's and leaving Acro's in the tank and don't know the proper amount of time to leave the tank free of Montis to ensure the bugs are no longer present.

hth, Chris

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon mixed reef
fishdoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2010, 01:37 PM   #93
Mr. Right
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply! Well today I went around in hopes of finding a vet who would understand my odd request for interceptor and struck out. Now I still have the bugs but have yet to find a solution other than interceptor. Can anyone please, please point me in the direction of a dip or something that’s proven to be effective?

Current Tank Info: Old tanks: 37gal mixed, 57 gal mixed, 120 sps. Current tank 18”x18”x18” rimless in the works.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2010, 06:14 PM   #94
Dave71
Registered Member

Working on ridding myself of the monti nudis, so thought I would share some pics.

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Mixed Reef
Dave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2010, 09:13 PM   #95
bhelne01
Registered Member

how do you treat nudibranchs

Current Tank Info: 90 w/ 30 sump;
bhelne01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2010, 09:16 PM   #96
bhelne01
Registered Member

will interceptor or furan 2 work

Current Tank Info: 90 w/ 30 sump;
bhelne01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2010, 12:30 PM   #97
needmore-reef
Registered Member

new frag from LFS... AEFW?

needmore-reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2010, 12:38 PM   #98
Dave71
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhelne01 View Post
how do you treat nudibranchs
I have had some moderate success with levamisole. This will not remove, or kill the eggs.

Additional inspections and removal has been required in my case for weeks.

Combining use of exacto knife removal and occasional levamisole treatment.

Key is not to let them mature enough to produce a new set of eggs.

Unread 08/30/2010, 06:46 PM   #99
edandsandy
Registered Member

I have a question, when we talk about using a turkey baster to "blow off" the corals with the red bugs, are we just "blowing" them to another coral?
I have seen a few bugs in my tank and I am concerned about them getting out of control.
My husband is concerned with using Interceptor as it will kill the crabs, shrimps, pods, etc... in the tank that we can not remove all of them.
I have read that adding a dragon face pipe fish to the tank is a natural predator to red bugs.
Any thoughts?

Current Tank Info: 375 Reef, 4) Radion LED lights X30 pro, Apex Fusion, Octo Regal 300 E Skimmer, GEO 618 Calcium Reactor 2) Reeflo Snapper pumps, 2)50g refugium, 2) MP 40's
edandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2010, 01:48 PM   #100
Dave71
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edandsandy View Post
I have a question, when we talk about using a turkey baster to "blow off" the corals with the red bugs, are we just "blowing" them to another coral?
I have seen a few bugs in my tank and I am concerned about them getting out of control.
My husband is concerned with using Interceptor as it will kill the crabs, shrimps, pods, etc... in the tank that we can not remove all of them.
I have read that adding a dragon face pipe fish to the tank is a natural predator to red bugs.
Any thoughts?
Just my 2 cents.

I have never heard of blowing off red bugs from a coral without a preceding treatment e.g. Interceptor. Blowing them off alone is not a sole treatment option that I am familiar with.

Interceptor is generally considered the best treatment option, and the losses by most are deemed acceptable.

I do not have experience with dragon face pipe fish, but I have heard it may take time for them to settle into feeding on the red bugs. You will also need to consider compatability with other inhabitants, but you probably have already.