Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/29/2014, 08:19 PM   #101
renevilleneuve
Registered Member

I checked out the dosing nitrate to reduce phosphates in advanced section. Am I wrong or are the comments all over the place?

renevilleneuve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2014, 07:57 AM   #102
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Mike, that program looks very similar to an old program I ran.. I like it.
I actually have the 6200s. I upgraded my Mitras when the 6200s came out.
The white leds will not go above 30% within the light project. Which means, using my lights in high efficiency (not high output) mode, the actual output of the leds will be even lower..
Thanks and I did see you can upgrade the pucks to the 6200 and I just may do think this summer. From what I have read LEDS lose there PAR use like every other light source we use, But that's another thread LOL
By the way the new frags look killer.
Michael

LIVE SAND ITS THE CURE........®

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
trueblackpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2014, 07:37 PM   #103
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renevilleneuve View Post
I checked out the dosing nitrate to reduce phosphates in advanced section. Am I wrong or are the comments all over the place?
Hey Rene, no I didn't buy the red dragon. I thought it was sold.. Anyways, I'm holding off a bit. The frags I have are sort of test frags to see how well they do in the small system..
As for that thread, yes there is a lot going on in it, like any thread I guess. Takes a little patience and determination to get through it all and digest the good information..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2014, 07:42 PM   #104
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblackpercula View Post
Thanks and I did see you can upgrade the pucks to the 6200 and I just may do think this summer. From what I have read LEDS lose there PAR use like every other light source we use, But that's another thread LOL
By the way the new frags look killer.
Michael
Thanks! I liked what I could do with the 6200 upgrade much better.. Made a big difference on the blue end and got rid of the extra red led which I think is kind of a waste of space..
Funny that they loose par.. All the manufacturers say no but people keep testing with par meters and seeing a reduction. I thought it wasn't supposed to happen.. I thought that was the whole point!?! Anyways....

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 11/30/2014, 08:11 PM   #105
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks! I liked what I could do with the 6200 upgrade much better.. Made a big difference on the blue end and got rid of the extra red led which I think is kind of a waste of space..
Funny that they loose par.. All the manufacturers say no but people keep testing with par meters and seeing a reduction. I thought it wasn't supposed to happen.. I thought that was the whole point!?! Anyways....
I totally agree with you

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
Unread 11/30/2014, 08:47 PM   #106
reefmutt
Registered Member

So I uploaded a short vid of my new scape to photobucket. Here it is:
Let me know what you think..

I also installed my two maxspects gyres. Man do they ever push water. But in full blast they are extremely noisy.. I'll be able to turn them down a few notches, I think but I'll have to see.. I hope they quiet down a bit like people say they do.. I'm running them on full blast right now to try to work them in..
Tank is still cloudy..
sorry mike!!

Unread 11/30/2014, 08:50 PM   #107
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

very nice

Unread 11/30/2014, 09:16 PM   #108
flounderfish
Registered Member

I like the aquscaping, that should be nice and open for growth!

Current Tank Info: 75g Display+120g Sump
flounderfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2014, 09:19 PM   #109
reefmutt
Registered Member

Thanks, mike..
To answer your question, I am adding microbacter 7 and kz zeostart 3 daily to help speed up the process.. I had this stuff left over from befor and it is coming in handy at the moment.. I hope it'll be ready in under 4 weeks.. We'll see..
The two snails I added are doing fine after 24 hours.. Still moving around..

Unread 11/30/2014, 09:25 PM   #110
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounderfish View Post
I like the aquscaping, that should be nice and open for growth!
Thanks! I tried to keep it open. I like to have good flow through the scape.
I really love the minimalist scapes like what trueblackpercula did and many orhers but at the same time, I find they limit the amount of coral you can add and I want to have as much real estate as possible without creating a wall of rock.
I think (hope) I found a decent compromise..

Unread 11/30/2014, 09:25 PM   #111
reef bloke
Registered Member

Great thread Matt and will be following.

Just set my 1200l Deltec back up using dry rock(marco) plus a couple of Gyres so nice to see a thread similar to my own restart. By the way I have found that if you cut a couple of blocks of dense filter sponges into the same size as the gyre pads and cut them to about 8mm thick and sand which them between the gyre mount and the glass the noise just melts away!. I run 12mm glass and the gyres still hold fast as the sponges compress to about 3mm.

All the best Tony

reef bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2014, 10:12 PM   #112
reefmutt
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip and thanks for following, Tony!
I'll give that a shot..
I'd be running a deltec skimmer, as well if I had the space..

Unread 11/30/2014, 10:30 PM   #113
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks! I tried to keep it open. I like to have good flow through the scape.
I really love the minimalist scapes like what trueblackpercula did and many orhers but at the same time, I find they limit the amount of coral you can add and I want to have as much real estate as possible without creating a wall of rock.
I think (hope) I found a decent compromise..
Made a mistake there.. Didn't mean trueblackpercula's scape as minimalist.. Was thinking glaukos.. Got mixed up there..

Unread 12/01/2014, 07:13 PM   #114
renevilleneuve
Registered Member

Thanks for pointing out the your mistakes,would have missed that one.

Unread 12/01/2014, 09:00 PM   #115
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

lol

Unread 12/02/2014, 10:45 PM   #116
renevilleneuve
Registered Member

No need to go hide under a rock for such a small mistake,I'm sure we can all forgive you.

Unread 12/03/2014, 06:09 AM   #117
biggles
Registered Member

I really like the scape you created Matt, that's definitely an acro friendly rock layout
How are those new pumps going, i sleep less than eight feet away from my display so my system is very quiet including my Deltec skimmer. The new peninsula will be half that distance away so it's going to be kept very quiet too.
Unless those gyres end up as silent as a Tunze pump they're going to be off my pump list so i'm very interested in your opinion of them over time Matt.

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2014, 06:30 AM   #118
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Wow Matt please let us all know as I youtube them and they look amazing. I would also like to hear about them.
Michael

http://youtu.be/8gDgkNCdgoE

Unread 12/03/2014, 08:06 AM   #119
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renevilleneuve View Post
Thanks for pointing out the your mistakes,would have missed that one.
I didn't point out all of my mistakes.. I actually posted that scape video on trueblack's thread, first, thinking I was in my thread!
That, I'm sure is why Mike finds my second gaff, particularly funny..

Unread 12/03/2014, 08:27 AM   #120
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
I really like the scape you created Matt, that's definitely an acro friendly rock layout
How are those new pumps going, i sleep less than eight feet away from my display so my system is very quiet including my Deltec skimmer. The new peninsula will be half that distance away so it's going to be kept very quiet too.
Unless those gyres end up as silent as a Tunze pump they're going to be off my pump list so i'm very interested in your opinion of them over time Matt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblackpercula View Post
Wow Matt please let us all know as I youtube them and they look amazing. I would also like to hear about them.
Michael

http://youtu.be/8gDgkNCdgoE
Biggles, thanks.. I spend waaay to much time aquascaping.. By the time a tank fully matures, it practically doesn't matter what the rocks look like underneath. The corals take over anyways..
Which deltec skimmer do you have and which tunze pumps? Some deltec skimmers are noisier than others.. Same goes for the tunze pumps, to a lesser degree.
Let me say first that the gyres have the ability to move some very serious amounts of water. For the size and dimensions, I don't think anything can compare.. (I feel a little bad saying this.. I've been a loyal tunze fan since I was once involved in the company that distributes them in Canada.. I'm not part of the company anymore but still a fan.) They are, however very, very noisy at 100%. Intolerably so, imo.
Luckily, I will probably run them somewhere around 60%. At this level, I think they are right around the same noise level as the tunze 6095s I have..
The two gyres I have make different sounding noises from each other AND at any given intensity, the noise or vibration they produce, changes slightly. Also, for some reason, sometimes one step down in intensity may produce a slightly more annoying sound than a step up in intensity.
They do have ten intensity settings (I think.. At least 8) so one can play with them a bit to achieve a level of noise that is acceptable.
Keep in mind that I have only had them in for a couple of days and people say that that quieten down with more time.. We'll see..
I also have not yet tried Tony's suggestion for reducing the noise.. I will also play with that if I can't get a flow level and sound level I am happy with.
I'm quite impressed with the mass of water they can move, I must say. And this model is the mid level model.. The larger one will be an absolute beast..
I may, in the future, try a couple of the smaller ones (or the same ones I have) in a perpendicular orientation to create cross currents.. But for now I am using the tunzes for that..

Unread 12/03/2014, 10:42 AM   #121
JB NY
Registered Member

Nice to see you bringing it all back Matt, I really enjoyed you old tank. Looking forward to the new one!

TOTM Sept 2002 | Reefland April 2004 | CORAL Magazine Nov 2007
Featured Tank "Coral Reef Aquarium" 2011 | Reef Spotlight 2018

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
JB NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2014, 10:46 AM   #122
reefmutt
Registered Member

Thanks, Joe!
thanks for stopping by.

Unread 12/04/2014, 02:55 PM   #123
reefmutt
Registered Member

Well, I did a little 150w mh comparing, lately..
Looking at which mh was the most blue and of the three I have looked at, it's almost a 3 way tie. I've looked at the xm 20k, the Radium blue and the Giesemann megachrome blue. They are almost identical to one another..
If I had to choose, I'd say the giesemann bulb is the most blue, but only by a slight margin. looking right at the glass of the bulb as it is lit, can you see a slight difference, looking at the tank under the bulbs it would be almost impossible to notice a difference..
Unfortunately, I don't have a par meter so I can't measure that..
I'm not going to spend any more money on bulbs, so I will go with what I have.. Probably the giesemanns.. Good German made bulb.. Never had a faulty one..
As for t5, I will probably run 4 gieseman actinic plus or Ati blue plus.. As far as I'm concerned, they are identical. And them one pure actinic..
I've ordered the Faune Marin royal blue ultra, just to see what they look like.. Don't know much about them..
Tonight I will test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to see how the tank is progressing.. It's still cloudy but the snails I have added are cleaning the tank like crazy right now.. Even the 2 blue t5s that I am running are causing a small amount of algae to grow..

Unread 12/04/2014, 04:31 PM   #124
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Well, I did a little 150w mh comparing, lately..
Looking at which mh was the most blue and of the three I have looked at, it's almost a 3 way tie. I've looked at the xm 20k, the Radium blue and the Giesemann megachrome blue. They are almost identical to one another..
If I had to choose, I'd say the giesemann bulb is the most blue, but only by a slight margin. looking right at the glass of the bulb as it is lit, can you see a slight difference, looking at the tank under the bulbs it would be almost impossible to notice a difference..
Unfortunately, I don't have a par meter so I can't measure that..
I'm not going to spend any more money on bulbs, so I will go with what I have.. Probably the giesemanns.. Good German made bulb.. Never had a faulty one..
As for t5, I will probably run 4 gieseman actinic plus or Ati blue plus.. As far as I'm concerned, they are identical. And them one pure actinic..
I've ordered the Faune Marin royal blue ultra, just to see what they look like.. Don't know much about them..
Tonight I will test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to see how the tank is progressing.. It's still cloudy but the snails I have added are cleaning the tank like crazy right now.. Even the 2 blue t5s that I am running are causing a small amount of algae to grow..
I've found the Phoenix 14K to be the bluer than Radium20K 150w. The 250w and 4002 Radiums are a different story.

The Phoenix 14K also has a stronge 420nm (or thereabouts) spike that fluoresces/pops some corals a little extra.

I've read very good reports about the FM Ultra Blue T5 tube...but so far havent managed to locate one. Let us know how it compares.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2014, 06:23 PM   #125
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

I used the mega chrome bulb years ago and it was a really nice bulb until I used the 14k Aquaconnect bulb. Have you tried all lights on over the tank yet? I ask because the mitras are really bright and have lots of blue and the t5 sound nice as well but to add halides that are blue? well this is going to be some serious lighting cant wait to see what they can do,