Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/04/2017, 07:32 PM   #26
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Here's a more up to date picture of my mag in the QT tank. This should be a good reference of it back up to full health

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 07:48 PM   #27
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig 'em View Post
Here's a more up to date picture of my mag in the QT tank. This should be a good reference of it back up to full health
Looking great!!

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 07:50 PM   #28
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Mine looked ok in the morning but had a gaping mouth toward the evening. Pics are from earlier today.

Unread 01/04/2017, 07:56 PM   #29
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Given how big their gig is, my clowns will probably ignore this tiny mag if it actually pulls through.

Unread 01/04/2017, 08:26 PM   #30
Gig 'em
Registered Member

It's looking good though, mine had a gaping mouth at least once a day until I finished the treatment period and placed him in the QT tank. Beautiful gig! That's the one animal I have yet to get my hands on that I really want, I'm jealous!

Keep up the treatment regimen and don't give up on it. It looks really good, even if it has a gaping mouth. I think it should pull through just fine after your treatment.

Unread 01/04/2017, 09:07 PM   #31
davocean
Registered Member

A new nem w/ a gaping mouth would not concern me too much, at least the tentacles look good right now, hopefully they stay that way for you.
As for your clowns ignoring, I doubt it, I bet they travel to both in time, seems to be the way it usually goes, then again if they do ignore it, and you need that valuable aqua real estate, you know who to call, it won't be that long before I'm ready for a new mag!

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 10:46 PM   #32
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:

Keep up the treatment regimen and don't give up on it. It looks really good, even if it has a gaping mouth. I think it should pull through just fine after your treatment.
I hope it does. I've treated a mag before and it wasn't as bad as these two. Perhaps it has something to do where and how they are collected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
As for your clowns ignoring, I doubt it, I bet they travel to both in time, seems to be the way it usually goes, then again if they do ignore it, and you need that valuable aqua real estate, you know who to call, it won't be that long before I'm ready for a new mag!
Haha, will do

Unread 01/05/2017, 09:14 AM   #33
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

The mag was deflated last night but doing better this morning.
Last night

What it looks like today

Unread 01/05/2017, 11:14 AM   #34
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Mine always looked so terrible at the end of each day, but looked better in the mornings. Not sure if it was just the lights or the lack of antibiotics at the end of the day to make it look so bad, but I saw a similar trend with mine.

Unread 01/05/2017, 05:45 PM   #35
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

This mag is responding to treatment better the other one.

Unread 01/05/2017, 07:20 PM   #36
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Mine always looked so terrible at the end of each day, but looked better in the mornings. Not sure if it was just the lights or the lack of antibiotics at the end of the day to make it look so bad, but I saw a similar trend with mine.
Naah, it's the 'classic' inflate-deflate cycles they all go through when stressed or sick. Look good for most of the day, then like hammered dog $hit in the afternoon, then ok again by morning. Cycle gradually worsens until it's just a pile of goo. Getting out of the cycle is the first step, then cessation of mouth distention.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2017, 09:33 AM   #37
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

No deflation yesterday. Pic from this morning.

Unread 01/06/2017, 09:50 AM   #38
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Looking good! I don't want to jinx it, but looks like it's on it's way to a smooth recovery.

Unread 01/06/2017, 10:24 AM   #39
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Looking good! I don't want to jinx it, but looks like it's on it's way to a smooth recovery.
Thanks. Hopefully it is.
I increased light iintensity on the orbit Marine LED fixture from 65% to 85%, which is where I had it set last time I treated a mag successfully. We'll see how that affects the current anemone in treatment.

Unread 01/06/2017, 01:15 PM   #40
OrionN
Moved on

He is looking good. Best of luck.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2017, 02:11 PM   #41
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
He is looking good. Best of luck.
Thank you.

Unread 01/07/2017, 11:22 AM   #42
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

The anemone is recovering nicely. No deflations in the last two days. Three more doses of Cipro to go

Unread 01/07/2017, 11:24 AM   #43
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Looking good. Keep the updates coming. Only a few more days and then you will be ready to move it. Good job, glad it is working out for you.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2017, 11:36 AM   #44
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
Looking good. Keep the updates coming. Only a few more days and then you will be ready to move it. Good job, glad it is working out for you.
Thanks

Unread 01/08/2017, 09:24 AM   #45
Soluent1
Registered Member

Coralsaddiction, since the mag is on a rock, will it be okay to move the mag and the rock back to the display tank after being treated with antibiotics? Is there any special protocol before moving back? Three days regular saltwater maybe? Or is this uncessary? I assume the beneficial bacteria were killed by the treatment. The rock will have to recycle? I ask because I have a mag on a big rock I am debating treating.

Soluent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2017, 09:44 AM   #46
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluent1 View Post
Coralsaddiction, since the mag is on a rock, will it be okay to move the mag and the rock back to the display tank after being treated with antibiotics? Is there any special protocol before moving back? Three days regular saltwater maybe? Or is this uncessary? I assume the beneficial bacteria were killed by the treatment. The rock will have to recycle? I ask because I have a mag on a big rock I am debating treating.
I have never had a special protocol for that. In most cases I don't even do regular water changes. I've been using rocks in QT for quite some time now. if your mag needs treatment you should do it. If the rock is too big you can carefully detach the anemone and use Tupperware or a mug to hold it.

Unread 01/08/2017, 10:12 AM   #47
worm5406

Rocks in QT for Anemones or QT for all items (fish/corals) ??

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
Unread 01/08/2017, 10:13 AM   #48
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
Rocks in QT for Anemones or QT for all items (fish/corals) ??
Rocks in QT for anemones only. For fish it's just PVC fittings.

Unread 01/08/2017, 10:17 AM   #49
worm5406

ok.. just checking. Got worried for a minute. LOL

No issues as far as I know about the rock. The antibiotics, while broad, will not affect the bacteria on the rock. Wrong type of bacteria. That is why we can touch the tank items and not get sick off it. (except palys)

Well at least that is how it was always explained to me a while ago. But a Cup or something like that was always better to be used.

Unread 01/08/2017, 11:21 AM   #50
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Mag is doing good. Staying inflated without any issues. Only 2 more days!