Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2017, 06:53 PM   #1
jlfalin
Registered Member

Plumbing RD230 to Oceans Motions

So I recently bought a large version of the oceans motion flow diverter. It has a 2" intake and 4x 1-1/2" output's. This will be run on a RD230 and through 4x 1-1/4 bulkheads in the bottom of the tank. My question is what to do to plumb this together. Would you increase the 1-1/2" output of the pump to 2" and then use a 2" ball valve prior to the OM or would you just run 1-1/2 all the way to the OM and the step up to 2" for that connection?

I want to maximize flow out of the pump so was wondering what you guys would recommend. I was guessing since the pump has a 1-1/2" out and the distance of pvc and fittings between the pump and OM will be minimal that 1-1/2 will be fine. But if the 2" will lead to better pump performance the. I'll do that.

Thanks

jlfalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 07:11 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfalin View Post
So I recently bought a large version of the oceans motion flow diverter. It has a 2" intake and 4x 1-1/2" output's. This will be run on a RD230 and through 4x 1-1/4 bulkheads in the bottom of the tank. My question is what to do to plumb this together. Would you increase the 1-1/2" output of the pump to 2" and then use a 2" ball valve prior to the OM or would you just run 1-1/2 all the way to the OM and the step up to 2" for that connection?

I want to maximize flow out of the pump so was wondering what you guys would recommend. I was guessing since the pump has a 1-1/2" out and the distance of pvc and fittings between the pump and OM will be minimal that 1-1/2 will be fine. But if the 2" will lead to better pump performance the. I'll do that.

Thanks
I'd increase the plumbing coming right out of the pump. I usually plumb in a union ballvalve immediately before and after my pumps to make maintenance easier. I always oversize those valves anyway and increase the return plumbing size in an effort to cut down on friction loss. I'd then add a union ball valve just before and after the OM in case I ever needed to pull it out to work on it. I suspect the OM itself is going to create a fair amount of friction loss and head pressure so reducing head pressure anywhere else you can will only help.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 07:26 PM   #3
jlfalin
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response. Those were my thought exactly. I planned on a true union ball valve right after the output and then was going to put the OM directly on top of that. I up sized the OM for that reason. I want to reduce friction loss and get the most out of the pump. Guess I gotta get another 2" and 4x 1-1/2" true union ball valves.

Unread 09/13/2017, 07:57 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Glad to help! Be sure to post some pictures once you have it setup!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 07:01 PM   #5
jlfalin
Registered Member

Ordered the rest of my PVC parts today. I will be sure to post pictures as soon as I get it set up. Man PVC is expensive. I think I spent $500 in PVC parts to install this closed loop. The RD230 better be worth it :-)