Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2014, 07:34 PM   #1
wynter.
Registered Member

75Gal saltwater stock help?

• Hello all! I just want to point out this is my very first to-be experience with saltwater tanks and I just need some (a lot of) pointers at the moment. I've become interested in saltwater tanks for a while, but I never really had the time until I became a stay home mom/work from home. Now with that being said I need a bit (quite a bit) of information as I'm slowly starting to build my ideas together, but in this process I need some help from knowledgeable people about saltwater aquariums and what sort of fish will go together while being both non-aggressive toward one another and colorful enough to catch guests/children's attention.

I currently have a 55gallon with a red belly piranha. 25gallon for feeder fish as treats for my RBP. 100gallon for cichlid fish. I have my extra 25gallon and a 75gallon not being currently used. I'm debating about using either the 25 or 75 for the saltwater. More than likely I'll be using the 75 for this, unless it would be better to start off with the 25gal and in that case I'd need an idea of what sort of fish I should start out with.

Now with that being said; what would I need to get the system up and running? Brands are more than welcome, but I am limited to petco as far as fish unless anyone knows a reliable online site I can order everything (possibly needed) from.

Secondly I need some help on kind of putting it into the works. What sort of fish would go well together being both non-aggressive, having at least something at every level, and finally be colorful enough to catch the eyes of children/guests? I know for one I'd like to have a typical Ocellaris clownfish otherwise I have no idea what else I should do or even begin to look at as there are so many different species. Any help would be appreciated to a novice such as myself.

wynter. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2014, 08:56 PM   #2
W1ngz
Registered Member

Personally, I can't wait to get a flame hawkfish and a purple firefish into my tank. Though I'm wondering about the flame hawk, as apparently they sometimes decide to dine on shrimp, and I have 3 of those already.

Pretty and colorful as they are, you'll be limited to only a few smaller tangs. The big yellow and blue ones grow too large to be kept in a 75. I have the same problem with my 75 that I've just started stocking.

I would try and find a way to remove whatever is limiting you to Petco, even if it's just for an afternoon of research and exploring. I notice you're in Alaska, so maybe geographically it's difficult, but my initial stocking ideas came from wandering through shops looking into their holding tanks and talking to staff at specialty stores to see what caught my eye and what else was a good match. It's really hard to get an idea of what you like by just looking at pictures. Some swim, others hover, some "hop" on the bottom, some move from perch to perch among the rocks and decor.

Tags
clownfish, help 75, saltwater