Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/15/2018, 05:54 PM   #51
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
You guys have Makerspce down there right, be cheaper and easier to do it that way.
But there so cheap these days everyone should have one. lol I have 5 myself, one of them being a resin SLA. I built all mine but there at the price point it's not worth building any more.
ok, what do you recommend to get ?

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 06:19 PM   #52
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
ok, what do you recommend to get ?
Really all depends on what your wanting. What size are you looking to print, what material ao you want to print. I have a few different printes for different types of prints. Here's a good list and feature breakdown to narrow down some of the very few choices out there.
https://all3dp.com/1/best-cheap-budg...nder-500-1000/

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 06:35 PM   #53
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

still too many choices lol.

for starters, say I want to print the RFG nozzle. so material must be reef safe and can withstand staying in saltwater permanently. most likely, I'll be printing mostly for use in my reef tank.

Unread 02/15/2018, 06:49 PM   #54
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
still too many choices lol.

for starters, say I want to print the RFG nozzle. so material must be reef safe and can withstand staying in saltwater permanently. most likely, I'll be printing mostly for use in my reef tank.
What's your budget? Are you jsut wanting to try it out and upgrade if you like it, or would you want something that is a proven workhorse and reliable?

Reef safe IMO would be ABS or PETG, but lots of places that offer frag racks and the like offer them in PLA which is the absolute easiest and cheapest material to print in. The one main issue with PLA is heat, which wouldn't apply to a reef tank. Personally I print all my pieces in ABS but that is becasue I am geared to print ABS as it is the easiest to do finishing work on which is what I need for what I do.
https://www.facebook.com/Tundra-Desi...8411668900298/

Unread 02/15/2018, 07:27 PM   #55
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

something proven and reliable that is the lowest price.
would something with lots of mods and hacks be better?

Unread 02/15/2018, 07:46 PM   #56
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
something proven and reliable that is the lowest price.
would something with lots of mods and hacks be better?
Lowest price that is a proven reliable printer, might need some mods. I'm n ot sure though as I don't own one but did own Prusa i3 at one point which is ultimatly what it is a clone of.
https://all3dp.com/1/best-cheap-budg...aker-select-v2
For $220 it can print whatever you need since it has a fair sized heated bed. If you want to do ABS and myabe larger pieces in PETG you would want to build a cabinet for it to contain the heat and sheild from any air movement.

Unread 02/23/2018, 04:50 PM   #57
tygger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinelife View Post
Anyone try these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=-ytMKac0_cc

Attaches to 1/2", 3/4" Loc-Line and creates random flow patterns.

Vivid Aquatics 3D printed random flow generators easily snap onto standard Loc-Line segments for a custom flow pattern through their patent pending randomized design. Each RFG is made of reef-safe PETG plastic and made to outlast your aquarium. Just snap the adapter end onto either 1/2" or 3/4" loc-line and within seconds you can direct the nozzle with the traditional ball and socket style.

Two Sizes Available:
1/2" Loc-Line
3/4" Loc-Line

Randomizer
Vivid Aquatics revolutionary design uses a set of 5 fins in a spiraling design that channels the water in from one direction at the base of the eductor and then out of the nozzle a different direction. The small amount of interferance at the base of the eductor helps create a random change in the intake affecting the flows path exiting the nozzle.

1/2" Specifications:
Dimensions - 2.25" L x 1.3" OD
Min Flow Rate - 120 GPH
Optimal Flow Rate - 300 - 450 GPH

3/4" Specifications:
Dimensions - 2.75" L x 1.7" OD
Min Flow Rate - 200 GPH
Optimal Flow Rate - 420 - 500 GPH

Whats Included?
1x Randon Flow Generator Nozzle

Is the OD really different between the 1/2 and 3/4 versions? Their site lists both as 1.625.

Unread 03/14/2018, 06:41 PM   #58
Cleven
Registered Member

[QUOTE=d0ughb0y;25363684]if it cannot be modified, does that mean VCA (OnlyTono) recreated it from scratch based on the idea?

OnlyTono cleverly deleted the design from his account. but Cleven has screenshots of it. He can easily challenge any patent OnlyTono have on this and get royalty. I'm sure any patent attorney would love to get this case.

If Cleven does no go after him, then karma will.[/QUOTE

Yeah he is the ***** that took the design.
Ask yourself this. A mechanical engineer who works with high velocity flow rates and pressures and pumps everyday or a web designer created/ invented the design. I basically took a flow educator and added a profile(adjustable on solidworks) to increase turbulence (randomness) of the flow. I created it to allow better flow over clownfish eggs and some corals I had in odd areas of the tank.

I made this to advance the community for free. Not for someone to rip it off and start selling it as his own. His argument he says he was just testing mine and printed it out to check the differences between his and mine. BS.
Problem with lawsuit is it costs a lot of money these days. Last one I was involved in cost over 1 million and 2 years of problems.

Cleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 06:43 PM   #59
Cleven
Registered Member

If anyone wants the raw files send me your email I’ll give to you.

Also others before asked me if they could print and sell them and donate a part of the sale. I always said yes. The issue with this whole thing is he didn’t say where he got it from.

Unread 03/15/2018, 06:01 PM   #60
Cleven
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Its not injection molded..
IMO...3d printed is fine for DIY projects,etc... but I don't believe that professional companies should sell FDM 3d printed products..
They really do not have the durability of a properly molded product.
I would have used the money they wasted on the patent for real injection molds instead..

Its just unprofessional IMO..
Totally agree. Injection all the way. Prototypes good. Mass production bad

Unread 08/10/2019, 10:41 AM   #61
hegeh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleven View Post
If anyone wants the raw files send me your email I’ll give to you.

Also others before asked me if they could print and sell them and donate a part of the sale. I always said yes. The issue with this whole thing is he didn’t say where he got it from.
Nice! Thank you! Great for hobbyists sharing. I will print them soon with polymer powders. Im excited to see the results

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hegeh is offline   Reply With Quote