Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 12/30/2007, 07:45 PM   #226
Pufferpunk
Moved On

If you're having any issues at all, please take some "before" pics. Even if you aren't... I'd like folks to see the difference, even in an already healthy tank. In a couple of weeks take them again, for "after" pics.

Unread 12/31/2007, 12:50 PM   #227
Sk8r
RC Mod

I got chemically curious---c6 h8 o6 [ascorbic acid: vitamin C] functions in tissue growth, in the use of the amino acid Lysine. As you see, there is pretty basic stuff in its make-up, nothing but carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. And one wonders what the need of a coral might be for something which is usually associated with citrus fruit---but it is also found in leafy green veggies [algaes? phyto? dunno...] and it is water-soluble, excretes readily, and consequently cannot be stored at least by mammals.

I am quite interested in this thread. While hobbyists have [too] enthusiastically in some cases supplemented every element readily available [also via reef salt], and some have supplemented amino acids---while our skimmers work hard to take them out---there's been little experimentation I have ever heard of in supplying key biological compounds that might be useful in the very basic activities of very basic living tissue.

Translation: this is interesting.

It might have some bearing outside zoanthids, where it comes to tissue growth and wound healing. One has to wonder what the saturation point is, and whether corals can adequately excrete it: I would think they can, it being entirely water soluble.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Unread 12/31/2007, 01:16 PM   #228
franco_oo
Registered Member

i no we talk about vita c in forme off caplets but wath about the liquid ones ............. easier to desolube no

Unread 12/31/2007, 01:21 PM   #229
Sk8r
RC Mod

"I know we're talking about vitamin C in caplet form, but what about the liquid ones? Easier to dissolve, yes?"
I'd say probably ok, but sometimes you want things to happen gradually in a tank. Especially if just starting this and testing coral response to the dose, I'd use the caplets simply BECAUSE they change things more slowly.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Unread 12/31/2007, 01:28 PM   #230
geoxman
Premium Member

I would say to use the crystals it is pure and is a better form of the vitamin- because it has no fillers. That is what I have been using and you can get it at GNC. 1 tsp is around 2200mg. good luck

Current Tank Info: an ice cube tray with brine shrimp in each cubicle
Unread 12/31/2007, 02:08 PM   #231
Pufferpunk
Moved On

If I hadn't sold my Kent doser, I'd be either dissolving the tabs or powder in 2g of top off water & dripping slowly, like madali is doing. I think that would be best. I'm having fine results placing it in my sump, after the skimmer & Purigen thugh.

Last edited by Pufferpunk; 12/31/2007 at 02:21 PM.
Unread 12/31/2007, 02:31 PM   #232
micromount
Registered Member

Vitamin C brand

Sorry if I overlooked any mention of this. Everybrand I lood at today has a binding angent, usually cellulose. Any effect from this?
Thanks.

Unread 12/31/2007, 03:09 PM   #233
Pufferpunk
Moved On

should be fine

Unread 12/31/2007, 04:58 PM   #234
franco_oo
Registered Member

i but the vitamin C asbsorbic acid chewable tablets 1000 mg is it ok....
ty

Unread 12/31/2007, 08:45 PM   #235
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Hmmm... I don't know about chewable. Might have flavoring or something. I think the more generic, the better.

Unread 12/31/2007, 09:13 PM   #236
Pufferpunk
Moved On

I know lots of folks were asking for before & after pics & I actually did find an old pic of my Tubb's Blues, the whole purpose of my looking for a cure to this problem. I refused to lose these beauties!

Before:

After (today, 2 months later):

See all the new babies on the bottom? Everything's growing like that now!

Last edited by Pufferpunk; 12/31/2007 at 09:25 PM.
Unread 12/31/2007, 10:17 PM   #237
madadi
ReefOG

if that doesnt make your run to the drug store for vitamin C then you must not have zoa in your tank great picture Jeni. took you long enough!

LETS TRADE YUMAS

Current Tank Info: Glass box.
Unread 12/31/2007, 10:42 PM   #238
Pufferpunk
Moved On

I didn't even know I took that before pic.

Unread 01/01/2008, 12:01 AM   #239
madadi
ReefOG

so in the old picture it almost looks like there is only one polyp still alive, maybe two. did they just open up after the C or did all new ones grow over the dead. the difference is amazing.

LETS TRADE YUMAS

Current Tank Info: Glass box.
Unread 01/01/2008, 12:12 AM   #240
killingseed
Registered Member

what we need is more results like that, we need to see more people to post before and afters.

Pufferpunk very nice colony!

Unread 01/01/2008, 12:27 AM   #241
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Those polyps were near death. It took about 2 weeks of treatment to get them all to open. When I stopped treatment for 2 weeks, they started closing again. I can't believe all the new growth under the older ones!

Unread 01/01/2008, 01:44 AM   #242
netjerk
Moved On

so when you stopped dosing the problem started to come back. does this mean that your corals would be dependant on the vitamen c dosing? how would that work if you plan to frag and sell/trade your corals? most people's tank wouldn't be dosing with vitamen c.

i want to try this out, but on the other hand i don't want my zoas to become dependant on vitamen c dosing. =\

Unread 01/01/2008, 01:47 AM   #243
Jarob
Registered Member

Im sold on this. Begin dosing right NOW!

Unread 01/01/2008, 01:59 AM   #244
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by netjerk
so when you stopped dosing the problem started to come back. does this mean that your corals would be dependant on the vitamen c dosing? how would that work if you plan to frag and sell/trade your corals? most people's tank wouldn't be dosing with vitamen c.

i want to try this out, but on the other hand i don't want my zoas to become dependant on vitamen c dosing. =\
I wouldn't say they are dependant. They were dieing before they ever had the C in their systems. There is obviously something in some of our tanks that make them do badly. Many folks don't always have this problem but lots do. A lot of folks are using it now that had perfectly healthy tanks & see a big difference in their corals--even their fish. Some of my SPS & LPS have doubled, since dosing!

Unread 01/01/2008, 01:59 PM   #245
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Some folks are concerned about what will happen if they stop dosing the C. When I stop taking it, it's not like I get sick the next day. Less of a chance of my getting sick if exposed though, if I am taking it. I am a huge believer of homeopathic remedies & take a lot of suppliments daily. Vitamin C actually got me thru a bout of chemo at one time, boosting my imune system to the point where I was able to quit early & still recover (I was taking 20,000mg daily).

What I didn't expect was for it to boost all my healthier corals so much! Geoxman had a perfectly healthy tank when he started dosing & he's a firm believer of using it for healthy corals too now. Some folks are even seeing differences in their healthy fish. So far, I have seen absolutely no negative results from doing this.

I know a gal was concerned, that when I stopped dosing, my Tubb's blues started receding again & maybe they were "dependent' on the C. I say, that there is obviously something awry with my tank or strain of zoas that are causing them to succumb to this malady so frequently & if I have to always dose my tank, then so be it. What I (& she) was wondering, if I sell these zoas, will the buyer have to dose too? I wonder...

Unread 01/01/2008, 07:24 PM   #246
Jeff
Registered Member

Bump!

IWNFT343F

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 20
Unread 01/01/2008, 11:42 PM   #247
clopez
Registered Member

I just started dosing my 40 after seeing puffers tank. I will try and report with results as time goes on.

Unread 01/02/2008, 01:59 PM   #248
revautosports
Moved On

Ok I have a frag that's developing the fungus. It's been closed up for 4 days now. Started dosing yesterday so let see how it does. I'm starting with 500mg and it's a 20gal tank. Here is a pic of it.
[IMG]http://i9.*******.com/8210xlx.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i8.*******.com/6okv8ut.jpg[/IMG]

Unread 01/02/2008, 02:02 PM   #249
Pufferpunk
Moved On

What is that a frag of? Nice bright orange, I hope you don't lose it. That is different that the brown coating I had on mine that they were calling a "fungus". Let's see how yours does. I'd also like to see if this helps with zoapox. I wonder if it might protect zoas from getting it from others in their tank.

Unread 01/02/2008, 02:05 PM   #250
killingseed
Registered Member

thanks for the pictures revautosports keeps us posted. i look forward to seeing good results and some pictures of them doing better.

Closed Thread