Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/25/2015, 05:26 AM   #1
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Pink Anthelia

I have some pink Anthelia that I picked up a few days ago. It was beautiful but over the past few days it is obviously not happy in my tank. I suspect it is the lighting, I only have T-8 bulbs for a 55 gal (24 inches deep). I have new lighting on the way. However, just in case it isn't, I was wondering what might be wrong. It just looks like it's wilting. I have checked the chemical levels and they are all good, my salt levels are good, all the other plants in my aquarium seem to be happy but the poor Anthelia is just sad.
I've seen where some people say it is a low light plant (there is a purple mushroom hitchhiker on the underside of the frag who seems perfectly happy) but I suspect mine to too low a light.
Unless someone has any other ideas I'll just hope my new light arrives today.

CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2015, 06:36 AM   #2
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Need pictures, and complete parameters. Sorry but Good isn't a parameter, I've seen people say that their water is good or pristine and it was actually far from it.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2015, 06:52 AM   #3
C.Eymann
Cnidaria lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkuhlmann View Post
Need pictures, and complete parameters. Sorry but Good isn't a parameter, I've seen people say that their water is good or pristine and it was actually far from it.
+1 also how about flow? Is it getting any? What temperature is the tank? I cannot picture anthelia withering away from light starvation in just a few days. Guess is that it's not getting enough flow or something is off with water chemistry.

C.Eymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2015, 06:14 PM   #4
ChimolaFish
Registered Member

FYI, coral aren't plants: they're animals. And anthelia will 'wilt' under lower light, however, they are rather hard to kill. I would suspect that it has something to do with your water parameters. We'll need details. Include flow and temperature.

Unread 11/26/2015, 04:43 AM   #5
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimolaFish View Post
FYI, coral aren't plants: they're animals. And anthelia will 'wilt' under lower light, however, they are rather hard to kill. I would suspect that it has something to do with your water parameters. We'll need details. Include flow and temperature.
Yes, I know the Anthelia is an animal and not a plant. And yes they are hard to kill which is why I couldn't figure out hat was wrong.

Took my water in to be tested and it tested at the salt water speciality store and it tested normal even the hardness, which the guy was sure was the problem.

So I went ahead and got one of their lights (a smaller one) to put over the Anthelia till my new wide spectrum one gets here. I also added a wave maker. I thought for sure the pump dumping water so close to it would be enough because it didn't seem to have that much of a flow in the tank it was in at the shop, but I guess I was wrong.

Looking much better after several hours under the new light.

I originally was not going to have a wave maker because I wanted sea horses, but I think I am gonna put them on hold until I can get the soft corals and easier stuff to live.

CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2015, 05:38 AM   #6
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

You still are not giving us the numbers for your water parameters. You also can't put seahorses in with most other corals. The seahorses need a very low flow and have to be fed mostly live foods unless you get lucky and get some eating frozen. They pretty much need their own tank. You can read to your hearts content in the forum here for seahorses and pipefish.

But again we need to see the numbers of your water as well as SG and temp. Without it this thread is useless and we can't give you any advice based on normal or good parameters. I do suspect several different things with your water parameters and SG but without the numbers my thoughts are useless because I have no clue what your water actually is in each test parameter.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote