Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/11/2018, 11:24 AM   #1
Antegon
Registered Member

H2O2 on LR/corals

During a discussion on the war against diatoms, a younger reefer suggested to use a dropper with hydrogen peroxide on a coral who was covered in algae, let it sit for a minute, then put it back in the tank, and it would kill the algae but not the coral. He also suggested to use it to kill/clean LR for a new tank, as opposed to the bleach method. Has anyone tried this/has advise on it? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 03:11 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Hydrogen peroxide likely would kill diatoms, but if the tank actually has diatoms, many snails will be glad to eat them. A Trochus or so might help. That said, the pest probably is not diatoms.

Hydrogen peroxide would be relatively safe for the corals if you can avoid getting it on them, which probably will be relatively easy. Removing the rock from water can cause problems by causing die off, though, so I'd have Prime or Amquel on hand, plus water for changes.

I am skeptical about the odds of solving the problem this way, and removing live rock from the water periodically is going to become tedious. How long has this been an issue, and how much rock is affected?

Unread 03/11/2018, 03:15 PM   #3
Dsekula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Hydrogen peroxide likely would kill diatoms, but if the tank actually has diatoms, many snails will be glad to eat them. A Trochus or so might help. That said, the pest probably is not diatoms.

Hydrogen peroxide would be relatively safe for the corals if you can avoid getting it on them, which probably will be relatively easy. Removing the rock from water can cause problems by causing die off, though, so I'd have Prime or Amquel on hand, plus water for changes.

I am skeptical about the odds of solving the problem this way, and removing live rock from the water periodically is going to become tedious. How long has this been an issue, and how much rock is affected?
I have used h2o2 in a reef, most coral are ok with it as the extra oxygen will release in about 24hrs.. there are a few that will be killed by it tho xenia is one of them look at all your specific corals and see if they would be effected or post a list and see if anyone knows.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Antegon
Registered Member

Quote:

It’s been an ongoing issue with a lot of algae in this tank. I’ve been told that it’s diatoms, but I’m no expert. Most of the light-facing rock surfaces have it. It costs the glass in a couple of days after cleaning, covers the substrate, etc.

Unread 03/11/2018, 05:07 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

Diatoms by themselves don't form structures like that, or form slimy masses. Some of it seems to be a macroalga of some sort, but I am bad at identifying most organisms.

I doubt that hydrogen peroxide is going to do much, but you could try it. I'd probably try some form of nutrient control first. Less feeding, more skimming, carbon dosing, or maybe some GFO all are options I'd consider.

Unread 03/11/2018, 06:19 PM   #6
Antegon
Registered Member

Quote:
Diatoms by themselves don't form structures like that, or form slimy masses. Some of it seems to be a macroalga of some sort, but I am bad at identifying most organisms.

I doubt that hydrogen peroxide is going to do much, but you could try it. I'd probably try some form of nutrient control first. Less feeding, more skimming, carbon dosing, or maybe some GFO all are options I'd consider.

Great. Appreciate the help. I’m going to try and dive into some algae/organism identity search to try and discover what it is, and I’ll update/upgrade my carbon & phosgard situations.
I think I’m going to try the H2O2 on a very small test piece. I’ll post the results if anything of note occurs.
Thanks!

Unread 03/11/2018, 06:37 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

If you have access to a microscope, that'd be key. There's a few microbial pests that can be identified readily enough without one, but most often, we just guess.

Unread 03/12/2018, 12:28 AM   #8
Dsekula
Registered Member

Quote:
If you have access to a microscope, that'd be key. There's a few microbial pests that can be identified readily enough without one, but most often, we just guess.
If you don't have access to a really great desktop scope there are pocket scopes out there for about $20. Now don't get me wrong their not anywhere near a really nice bench scope but I've taken them to a lfs to check pods (I'm not very trusting) but they worked for this and don't break the bank .

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 04:40 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Are you using RO/DI water?
Have you tested your tank water for nitrates? phosphate?

Can you take another picture with the blue channel turned off or way down so that colors are rendered better?

Unread 03/12/2018, 07:01 AM   #10
Antegon
Registered Member

At work, but will definitely take more photos when I get home (and learn how to set the filter, great to know there’s an easy fix to that!)
I use RoDi. I have a filter at home (aquatic life 60/100)
I was recently given advice on here (reefkeeperZ) to check the membrane, and honestly don’t know how long it’s been going, so just ordered a replacement today. Hopefully after attacking with some water changes that will help. Phosphates and nitrates are still zero. I’ll see a small spike in nitrates every once in a while, but for the most part it’s level. I can’t test for silica, which has been named as a potential culprit here and would be from the bad membrane. That’s the trail I’m following as of now haha!
I tested the H202 on a small area of rock/stars. Will report how it’s looking tonight as well

Unread 03/12/2018, 07:02 AM   #11
Antegon
Registered Member

And yes to the cheaper scope, that sounds like a great start to learning more about identifying these things. Thanks!

Unread 03/12/2018, 08:03 AM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

FWIW..
This is what I've done in the past with excellent results on hair algae..
Do water change and keep old water..
Mix 50% old tank water/50% hydrogen peroxide..
Soak and scrub (toothbrush,etc...) rock for 10-15 minutes in solution.. (bubbly/green yummy )
Rinse rock with more old tank water and right back into the tank..

Hair algae gone...

Unread 03/12/2018, 08:35 AM   #13
Antegon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
FWIW..
This is what I've done in the past with excellent results on hair algae..
Do water change and keep old water..
Mix 50% old tank water/50% hydrogen peroxide..
Soak and scrub (toothbrush,etc...) rock for 10-15 minutes in solution.. (bubbly/green yummy )
Rinse rock with more old tank water and right back into the tank..

Hair algae gone...

Cool! Does it matter what level of dilution the H2O2 is, or will store-bought/regular do?
I’m gonna try this once I replace the filters in my RO and get some water changes. Thanks for the tip!

Unread 03/12/2018, 10:33 AM   #14
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

silicates would be from an exhausted DI resin not a bad membrane.

Unread 03/12/2018, 10:36 AM   #15
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

though it doesnt hurt to replace the membrane at regular intervals.

Unread 03/12/2018, 12:14 PM   #16
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antegon View Post
Cool! Does it matter what level of dilution the H2O2 is, or will store-bought/regular do?
I’m gonna try this once I replace the filters in my RO and get some water changes. Thanks for the tip!
I used regular store brand which if I'm remembering right is 3%

Unread 03/12/2018, 12:50 PM   #17
Antegon
Registered Member

Awesome. Yeah the membrane is super old, so I’m gonna replace both to sure up the variables on that end. Always another goal haha. And good to hear on the h2o2. Easy to grab at Walgreens

Unread 03/12/2018, 10:52 PM   #18
bertoni
RC Mod

3% would be what I'd try first. Some of the stronger grades can require careful handling.