Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/10/2016, 06:49 PM   #1
yourcatch22
Registered Member

Question Looking for Battery Backup For Tank

Hey folks!

I am trying to select a battery backup/surge protector for my fish tank. I live here in Florida where the afternoon storms can cause frequent power outages and I want to protect my tank.

I intend to use it just to run a single powerhead or my hang on back filter (if possible) for a few hours to get oxygen flowing. My tank is pretty small, only 25 gallons, so I'm not looking for anything crazy here. I recently purchased 1000 VA, 600 Watts CyberPower battery backup for my system. Unfortunately, whenever I pull the plug to test it, the battery only supplies enough power to barely spin the powerhead at half speed and not enough to break the water's surface. I have nothing else running so it's a little surprising that it's so weak.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good battery backup that won't break the bank or, at the very least, explain why the one I purchased isn't doing the job?

yourcatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2016, 07:29 PM   #2
davehead86
Registered Member

What kind of power head are you running? What else is plugged into the backup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank: 65 Gallon Mixed Reef| 40B Sump| 2 Radion Gen 3's| 2 MP10wes| Vectra M1 | Reefkeeper Lite
davehead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2016, 08:36 PM   #3
NeilFox
Registered Member

Perhaps an inverter system.

Current Tank Info: 6.25 gal Nano, 40 gal SPS
NeilFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2016, 09:06 PM   #4
Timfish
Registered Member

Some UPS don't make a true sine wave which is hard on pumps. They usually only run a couple hours irregardless of the load. Penn Plax makes a battery operated air pump that only turns on when power is lost. A friend on mine looked at several diffeent brands and the Penn Plax was the only one that ran on "D" cell battteries that consistantly turned on and also lasted the longest when power was turned off.

Unread 08/10/2016, 10:17 PM   #5
Reeefer
Zookeeper

On my 29 gallon I have an MP10. Planning on buying the Ecotech battery back up for it. That's what I'm doing on my 81 gallon which I have backing up 2 MP40s. Pricey yes, but it's insurance for your tank.

Current Tank Info: Not Enough
Reeefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 05:25 AM   #6
Mark9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeefer View Post
On my 29 gallon I have an MP10. Planning on buying the Ecotech battery back up for it. That's what I'm doing on my 81 gallon which I have backing up 2 MP40s. Pricey yes, but it's insurance for your tank.
+1 on the Ecotech battery backup.

Mark9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 06:11 AM   #7
eastlake
Registered Member

Does the back up you presently have run an aerator efficiently? If so you could just have that on the back up outlet.

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 11:40 AM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

Suggestion: instead of trying to provide full power for a transient power outage, get a Penn-Plax bubbler pump: they're small, cheap, and they can be rigged to come on to power an airhose and bubbler somewhere behind the rockwork. They'll last as long as you have batteries to feed them. For big weather problems, yes, a generator; and you're where there can be extended outage; but for the minor ones the little bubbler can keep fish breathing well enough. They're a good option for everybody to have, at least in the house.

Most tanks can go 8 hours with no power, no problem. Beyond that, things can get iffy, and among precautions for a long workday stint or a weekend at the beach, these might help, running on regular power most of the time, but switching to battery in a power-out. In general, bubblers aren't a useful item in a reef, and not something you want going on long-term; but if you live where power is a dice throw, and you have to be away for 3 days, this is a good bet. Just keep bubbles away from fish and corals as a rule.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 12:06 PM   #9
GimpyFin
Registered Member

As mentioned, if you don't get a UPS that does true sine wave output, you'll have issues. The modified sine wave on basic UPS devices is hard on pumps and motors and causes them to behave erratically on battery power. Cyberpower does make a Pure sinewave series that works, but depending how much equipment you want to run off of it, the backup power doesn't last very long. (I had a Pure Sinewave 1350V/800W on my old tank and it would die after about 30-45 minutes with the return, powerheads, and heater (no lights.))

An alternative is an inverter generator for longer outages (Regular generators have similar shortcomings to basic UPS devices) or the battery powered pumps Timfish and Sk8r suggested are also good ideas.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 12:08 PM   #10
Tweaked
FUP&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Suggestion: instead of trying to provide full power for a transient power outage, get a Penn-Plax bubbler pump: they're small, cheap, and they can be rigged to come on to power an airhose and bubbler somewhere behind the rockwork. They'll last as long as you have batteries to feed them. For big weather problems, yes, a generator; and you're where there can be extended outage; but for the minor ones the little bubbler can keep fish breathing well enough. They're a good option for everybody to have, at least in the house.

Most tanks can go 8 hours with no power, no problem. Beyond that, things can get iffy, and among precautions for a long workday stint or a weekend at the beach, these might help, running on regular power most of the time, but switching to battery in a power-out. In general, bubblers aren't a useful item in a reef, and not something you want going on long-term; but if you live where power is a dice throw, and you have to be away for 3 days, this is a good bet. Just keep bubbles away from fish and corals as a rule.
This!!! I have 5 of the bubblers on my 5 displays and they come on automatically when power is lost - typically in overnight storms. For longer periods I roll out the generator.

Unread 08/11/2016, 12:18 PM   #11
malx
Registered Member

I use Ecotech Marine's Battery Backup. A bit pricey but I have two MP40s and a Vectra Return pump. Right now, it's hooked up to one of my MP40s but I'm considering hooking it up to the return pump instead since my MP40s are too low to stir up the surface.

malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 12:55 PM   #12
Subsea
Registered Member

I set up a PennPlex air bubble on a 29G mixed reef in a dentist office. During an extended electrical outage, the pump ran 10 days on two D cell batteries. All things were good.

Ten years ago that pump was <$10. When power was lost at the receptacle, the air pumps switch turns on.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup power, battery, power