Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/31/2019, 12:24 AM   #1
pledosophy
Registered Member

Nudibranchs

Has anyone figured out how to keep them alive long term?

I am setting up a tank and considering going all oddball stuff for something different. I have always loved Nudi's and thought it would be fun.

Would love any links to good info.

Thank you

Unread 08/11/2019, 12:16 PM   #2
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

I'm trying to kill them because they just won't die. HA!

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 10:49 AM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

Most, if not all, have very specific diets that can be difficult or impossible to supply. I think they are very cool as well, but not worth the effort.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 02:22 PM   #4
pledosophy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Most, if not all, have very specific diets that can be difficult or impossible to supply. I think they are very cool as well, but not worth the effort.
I'm fine with difficult to supply. Impossible, not so much. I would like to keep them in a tank where they can thrive, not just wither. Maybe even reproduce.

Unread 09/03/2019, 06:33 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

How difficult nudibranchs are to keep depends largely on the species and what they eat. Some species that we see as pests are annoyingly hardy, propagate like crazy, and are quite difficult to get rid off - in particular the Montipora eating species.

If you manage to have Aptasia to propagate and grow fast enough, then keping Berghia isn't too difficult in a dedicated tank.
There are likely nudibranchs that eat quite a few of the things we consider pests. There are for example quite a few that eat hydroid polyps.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2019, 07:37 PM   #6
Djbeasley05
Registered Member

I’ve thought about this. As long as you only feed a small amount of coral, they shouldn’t overpopulate. Seems crazy to feed coral to a tank but if you do cheap monti cap and cheap zoas, those and aptasia would be the easiest to keep.

Djbeasley05 is offline   Reply With Quote