Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/26/2018, 08:45 AM   #26
sde1500
Registered Member

That is crazy huge! I would definitely add tiles to the bottom to keep them on. That would make them much easier to move, and remove for fragging.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 06:15 AM   #27
jestronix
Registered Member

quick update , seeing colour pick up in all corals. Corals at the back of the tank are fairing well , a couple corals directly in the middle of the tank are colouring up but also pastelish in colour, so I'm thinking I may have to drop my insane midday to 3 hours from 4. A wild colony I place in three weeks ago has already grown onto its host rock, so growth is happening. All the wild colonies have held their original colour, one of them is more colourful than when I bought it, but I think too much light may be causing this. As a casting I'm heading for a 3 hour peak. Also moving my water temp down from a peak of 26.3 to 26. Will grab some photos with the SLR to start documenting growth and colour of each coral.

jestronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 09:45 AM   #28
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Increase feeding, maybe dose phosphate and nitrate if low.

Fourstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2018, 03:48 AM   #29
jestronix
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourstars View Post
Increase feeding, maybe dose phosphate and nitrate if low.
Yeh I never test n03 / 4 , I usually watch my cheato growth and glass as an indicator. if any other corals lighten up I'll up the feeding as u suggest.

Unread 12/09/2018, 05:03 AM   #30
jestronix
Registered Member

0 phosphate, have upped feedin and adding a bit of reef roids for the Goni and softies , hopefully raise the phos abit.

Unread 12/09/2018, 08:55 AM   #31
Fourstars
Registered Member.

I do the same thing, if I don’t have to clean my glass for over 4/5 days I dose in my top off. I also took my skimmer offline a few months ago. The cheato and corals seems to just soak up all the nutrients and I rarely get a positive on my phosphate test. Right now you have a small load and are blasting the light. I always compare it to a car, if you stomp the accelator and the fuel volume is low you’ll just stall, or bleach in this case.

Last edited by Fourstars; 12/09/2018 at 09:02 AM.
Unread 12/19/2018, 07:23 AM   #32
jestronix
Registered Member

Quick video update,

Have upped the feeding and the reef roids and added the big growlight to the fuge. Hoping to push high nutrient , high light and high export. Currently feeding one cube of artima shrimp and reef roids half teaspoonevery other. Acropower cap once a week. The grow light in the sump has done exactly what I want and to move the brown dust algae and some short brown algae out of the display tank. all with zero phosphate readings.

The tank last week out of nowhere got real aggressive on alk and cal , meaning my corals just woke up

The plasma is back to 4 hours a day and the two Ai primes for 11.

Aiming to be a very low water change tank, like my old tank I'll be dosing Himalayan rock salts, which contain 90 trace elements , my experiment for no fuss dose all approach. I aim to dose low amounts, but hopefully replenish a lot of what's taken out, it's just a hundred million years old trace I'll see how we go.

Overall impressed with plasma so far, wild colonies as I add them are holding their colour, my old corals are colouring up more and more. I sense the full spectrum is helping out along with some serious punch.

Quick vid https://youtu.be/0S0z1sx4pHY

Unread 12/19/2018, 09:20 AM   #33
Fourstars
Registered Member.

THings are looking great! Don't know about the Himalayan rock salt idea, might get a build up of heavy metals you don't want, which is already an issue in a closed system tank.

Unread 12/20/2018, 02:05 AM   #34
jestronix
Registered Member

Quote:
THings are looking great! Don't know about the Himalayan rock salt idea, might get a build up of heavy metals you don't want, which is already an issue in a closed system tank.
Thanks, things are going as planned for now ......

Yes the rock salt idea has some downsides, build up is a worry, but I'm not sure I'll be dosing enough to get things too out of whack, with the yearly or 6 month big water change. Realistically they said don't add things you can't test and well as a tinkerer I can't help myself. Last tank when ever I dosed Himalayan salt, corals seemed to react well. Be interesting to send it off to triton.

Unread 12/20/2018, 07:47 AM   #35
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Yes, triton test after a few months would be interesting.

Unread 12/25/2018, 04:20 AM   #36
jestronix
Registered Member

Grrr alk use is through the roof, was on 80ml a day, alk dropped to 7, set to 120ml, alk dropped to 6 in in 4 days !!! So have set to 200ml !! Crazy

Calcium has also had similar issues just not as drastic.

It's insane just how quick a tank can say im hungry, this took a month or two before coming alive. When it does u have about a week max to catch it. Pretty much I'll have to do daily tests until I can work out just how much it wants.

I suspect I will pay the price for being unable to catch a drop from 8 to 6 over two weeks,

Unread 12/25/2018, 11:39 AM   #37
Fourstars
Registered Member.

I just did the same thing, added some new stoney corals and replaced the bulbs, everything took off but I neglected monitoring the ALK. Was below 6! I know better

Unread 01/25/2019, 11:36 PM   #38
jestronix
Registered Member

Quote:
I just did the same thing, added some new stoney corals and replaced the bulbs, everything took off but I neglected monitoring the ALK. Was below 6! I know better
It's so easy to miss the take off I'm now getting through a 3L alk container every two weeks, going to upgrade to some 10L containers.

Unread 01/26/2019, 12:08 AM   #39
jestronix
Registered Member

January update, not a huge amount to report. Mag was a bit high so my random manual addition will now stop and I'll keep an eye on things.

The monster growlight in the fuge is producing all sorts of growth, cheato exploding but I can't get the sucker to tumble from just the overflow. Got some cyano and algae etc, all down in the fuge very little in the tank, if I see it, I remove it from the display. This was one of my concerns running a plasma grow, so far so good.

My blue and pinks are happy, however some of my corals are a little pale, I still can't get a phosphate reading above zero. 500 litres and 3 fish means I'm struggling to raise It, even lots of reef roids. So I'm thinking I'll setup a quarantine and get some extra fish , I can't do this till summer is over as I don't have a spare chiller.

coral growth is great, with all my new wild corals fusing their bases.

I'm still only running the plasma for 4 hours a day and my two tiny Ai run their 12 hours.

The plasma looks and shows similar results to my 400w 10k XM halide setup, but way less heat and a fuller spectrum. Early days yet.

Unread 01/26/2019, 12:08 AM   #40
jestronix
Registered Member

January update, not a huge amount to report. Mag was a bit high so my random manual addition will now stop and I'll keep an eye on things.

The monster growlight in the fuge is producing all sorts of growth, cheato exploding but I can't get the sucker to tumble from just the overflow. Got some cyano and algae etc, all down in the fuge very little in the tank, if I see it, I remove it from the display. This was one of my concerns running a plasma grow, so far so good.

My blue and pinks are happy, however some of my corals are a little pale, I still can't get a phosphate reading above zero. 500 litres and 3 fish means I'm struggling to raise It, even lots of reef roids. So I'm thinking I'll setup a quarantine and get some extra fish , I can't do this till summer is over as I don't have a spare chiller.

coral growth is great, with all my new wild corals fusing their bases.

I'm still only running the plasma for 4 hours a day and my two tiny Ai run their 12 hours.

The plasma looks and shows similar results to my 400w 10k XM halide setup, but way less heat and a fuller spectrum. Early days yet.

Unread 01/27/2019, 05:42 PM   #41
Hudds
Registered Member

Tagging along. Very interested to follow your “early LEP days” experiment.
Please do document your progress as well as coral development with photos.

New tank plus coral growth justify the elements consumption. Maybe consider adding a CaCO2 reactor, with the added benefit (on top of ease of supplementation) of other trace microelements supply?

Do you dose amino acids?
Low nutrients give you the opportunity (and necessity) for extra coral feeding, take advantage of it!

Wish you good luck

Thalassographia Reef
Hudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2019, 10:16 PM   #42
jestronix
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudds View Post
Tagging along. Very interested to follow your “early LEP days” experiment.
Please do document your progress as well as coral development with photos.

New tank plus coral growth justify the elements consumption. Maybe consider adding a CaCO2 reactor, with the added benefit (on top of ease of supplementation) of other trace microelements supply?

Do you dose amino acids?
Low nutrients give you the opportunity (and necessity) for extra coral feeding, take advantage of it!

Wish you good luck
Thank you, yes I'll start to take some coral shots over time.

The two part seems to be working ok, I think the mag side can be tuned in once it drops to where I need it. Ca reactor would be nice but money wise I'm limited.

Yes manually dosing acropower, only lightly so I might step this up a bit and take advantage of the low nutrients.

Unread 02/02/2019, 06:42 AM   #43
jestronix
Registered Member

Quick end of Jan shots

Unread 04/04/2019, 02:26 AM   #44
jestronix
Registered Member

Things keep on growing dosing nitrates has added colour , gonis getting regular feeds too

Unread 04/04/2019, 07:55 AM   #45
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Looking Good!

Unread 04/05/2019, 08:21 AM   #46
evil4g63
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestronix View Post
Things keep on growing dosing nitrates has added colour , gonis getting regular feeds too

What are you feeding the gonis and how if you don’t mind me asking ???

evil4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2019, 10:16 AM   #47
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Looks great, both the color and growth. How is it looking to you? Happy with the coloration and growth? (It's tough to tell in pics)

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2019, 12:11 AM   #48
jestronix
Registered Member

Hi, Im feeding gonipower once a month usually. I could up this.

Color wise, its interesting, since dosing nitrates color has picked up, but growth has slowed. so its a trade off. I now use a lower dose and growth has picked up and color has stayed. I think the key is pump as much nitrate as you can into the tank but keep the reading near undetectable. this way you know the corals are using some, but its not effecting growth too much.

Also i have to say plasma does funny things to corals color wise, eg one of my wild colonies was pure white, with green tips, its now blue tips with almost like a rainbow body. Ill have to try and get a good shot of it.

Bad news is i went away for four days and a timer died! leaving my light on for 48 hours, gonis didnt like this, everything else looks ok but i suspect over the next few weeks ill see the damage.

Unread 06/09/2019, 03:50 AM   #49
jestronix
Registered Member

Quick update

https://youtu.be/ioH9EI7qDOE

Unread 09/07/2019, 05:26 AM   #50
jestronix
Registered Member

Just calculated my bulb life for the plasma ! At 5 hours a day I can run it for 27 years ! No moving parts and water proof, it just might make it too. Wait! I can't upgrade for 27 years! Must not tell the wife this.