Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2018, 09:54 PM   #1
kupadupapupa
Registered Member

Fish tank with leds in living room

Right now I have a JBJ 28 with hood in the living room. I am thinking about upgrading the lighting to an AI Prime HD but I am worried that the light will have to be mounted quite high and might bother the eyes as the leds would be way above eye level. I don’t want to constantly see a bright light in my peripheral.

Has anyone experienced such an issue with their led lighting? If you think it will cause an annoyance I was thinking if it would be possible to tilt the front of the light downward and towards the back far enough to hide the leds from anyones eyes while sittin on the couch? But then I’m wondering if that would cause my corals in the very front of the tank to not receive much light.

kupadupapupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 10:21 PM   #2
2_zoa
Registered Member

Not sure what your jbj is sitting on, but my old bio cube was quite low from what I remember. I had the bio cube stand also.

My current tank is much taller and my light is about 6’ ish off the floor. My LEDs don’t bother me at all.
Now, an old halide I had at this height.....yeah. It had a sharp pinch in the periphery.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 01:24 AM   #3
kupadupapupa
Registered Member

My jbj is sitting on the factory jbj stand. I would guess the very top of the tank is maybe 4ft.

Unread 03/11/2018, 09:14 AM   #4
rffanat1c
Registered Member

Depends on what you find annoying. My radions spill blue light on the walls but doesn’t bother me. A friend’s wife couldn’t stand the same light spill in his tank and she was 20’ away in the bedroom complaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rffanat1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 11:11 AM   #5
Ryan33
Registered Member

This is the biocube in my room. The light spill looks worse on the photo but no one has ever said anything about being distracted by it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20180311_105235-01.jpeg (30.0 KB, 63 views)
Ryan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 11:32 AM   #6
Antegon
Registered Member

I ran primes for a while on a 29g in my main room. The bleed wasn’t that bad initially but I did have an issue with the spread. They also are V sensitive to splash, another reason they need to be higher. Just my experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 11:41 AM   #7
Ryan33
Registered Member

The light in my picture is a jbj Orion sl65 not a prime although I should have went with the prime.

Ryan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 02:34 PM   #8
kupadupapupa
Registered Member

Ok thanks guys. I was just worried because my eyes are sensitive to light so I even had to install a dimmer in my living room to dim the living room lights all the way down or they would start irritating me.

Unread 03/11/2018, 10:49 PM   #9
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

Not to hijack the thread but how about the hybrid t5/led? I was thinking about this as well. Without a canopy and being able to see the bulbs while sitting in the living room trying to watch tv might be a bit distracting/annoying.

BoisBlancBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 06:51 AM   #10
oldhead
Registered Member

I have primes over my 110. They are about 6" above my head since the tank is so tall. The tank is 4ft to the right of my couch. I have no problems

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote