Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/30/2011, 12:02 PM   #151
SushiGirl
Premium Member

No problem, Aaarrrggg! I guess it's good to be nervous. When I first started out, everything was cool & awesome till I found out otherwise, which isn't necessarily the best way to go!

Current Tank Info: 55g softy/LPS tank & 20L reef tank
SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2011, 10:45 AM   #152
MitchellB
Registered Member

whats this??? about 3/4" to an inch long. Found it walking along the front of the glass.

whatisit by in his image, on Flickr

Unread 12/31/2011, 12:30 PM   #153
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Someone else had one of those the other day LOL.
Some kind of isopod, possibly the one called skeleton shrimp.

Unread 01/01/2012, 09:40 PM   #154
MitchellB
Registered Member

Thank you SushiGirl

here are some pics of the possible skeleton shrimp isopod

Isopod1 by in his image, on Flickr

Head

Isopod head by in his image, on Flickr

Tail

Isopod tail by in his image, on Flickr

Isopod by in his image, on Flickr

Unread 01/01/2012, 09:45 PM   #155
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Those are awesome pics.

Unread 01/01/2012, 10:26 PM   #156
Seagull_3
Registered Member

Hey, out of interest... Why are starfish listed as bad at the start of this thread? My LFS sells them, and I thought that they were good cleaners.

Seagull_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2012, 10:41 PM   #157
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Which starfish are you talking about?

Unread 01/02/2012, 12:22 AM   #158
softieatheart
Registered Member

The big "bristle worm" I was pleased to discover in my live rock turned out to be a coral savaging eunicid worm.

It maimed a brand new Wood's Polyp frag three nights ago and finished it off the next night, moving on to the Kenya tree frag last night.

I have never seen it's butt out of it's rock but I did see a good 10 inches of him, so he is decent sized.

I tried the bottle trap for a couple hours but got impatient and reading here and other site kind of indicated that this kind of worm rarely goes into the bottle traps, so I pulled all my rock out and have him submerged in a deep bowl filled with 6 liters of club soda.

He has been submerged for almost 2 hours and no sign of him. I am almost positive he is in this rock, because it is "his" rock and I saw him pokeing his head out one of the holes moments before I got the rock out of the tank.

So how long can he live in that club soda? My guess is he is dead in there. Now what do I do? Put it in a QT tank and watch for signs of life or an ammonia spike? This is really a big, beautiful rock with three "caves" and all sorts of smaller tunnels so I don't really want to break it open.

Unread 01/02/2012, 03:10 PM   #159
Sk8r
RC Mod

I'd suggest putting it in a separate bucket of salt water after an overnight in the soda and using a small airpump or maxijet to keep the water circulating for a few days. Soda water in itself is sometimes useful to adjust ph after a kalk mistake, so it's not poisonous, but it will do a ph number if you don't give it time to resorb salt water before putting it back in your tank. It will be, at that point, dead rock with dead things in it, so letting it stay isolate for a while will be helpful ---you don't want an ammonia spike from the dieoff rotting in the rock. Using discard salt water from a water change would assure it has bacteria to help it along in digesting the dead stuff.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2012, 02:33 AM   #160
big cats
Registered Member

Okay, so, I have a very interesting story..I had company over earlier this evening, and everyone was looking at my new salt water tank. I only have 6 hermits in there right now, and 3 brittle stars, so there isn't much to really look at. My company left at 10, and it is now 12:30 my time..I turned the light off to my tank at 10:30.

Just 5 minutes ago, I went out to check on a noise I thought was in our living room where the tank is, and I used my cell phone's flashlight to look into the tank..What I saw was what looks to me like hundreds, if not thousands of mosquito larvae looking things! They had to have popped up when the lights went out, because they weren't there before they went out..

These creatures can swim, and they are attracted to light. I don't think they can cause any harm, and this is the first time I have ever seen them..I have no clue what they are, I was thinking copepods, but these are bigger than copepods..They look like little baby guppies, but just smaller. I really hope they aren't anything bad, because there are literally thousands of them all throughout my tank! I can't get pics up right now, but I will get some as soon as I can.

My tank is relatively new, I started it up in the beginning of December, and the cycle has been done for a couple weeks now, so it is definitely in its infant stage right now. I just don't know what the heck these bugs are! I only acquired 2 pieces of LR from my LFS, and they have been in there since the tank was set up to get my cycle started..So it wasn't any new hitchhikers. They have to have been in my tank since it was started..that or my hermits had babies, but I dont think baby hermits are free floating creatures. To my knowledge they are born with shells right? And even if I had 1 male and 5 females there's no way they would have a couple thousand babies between all 5 females would they? The brittle stars are way too small to be having babies as well, as they are babies themselves..

If anyone has any ideas on what these guys might be that would be helpful. The only thing I could think of would be mysis shrimp, but I don't know how I would have gotten them in my tank..

big cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2012, 02:53 AM   #161
Aaarrrggg
Registered Member

Sounds like amphipods. They're a big type of pod; good guys.

Current Tank Info: 144g Half Circle Oceanic (started 11/7/2011)
Aaarrrggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2012, 10:47 AM   #162
big cats
Registered Member

How would I have gotten them in my tank?? Do they just randomly show up from time to time? I have no way of taking a picture of them....stupid camera..So the best I can do is just describe them well enough to you.

So, as I stated before, they look like mosquito larvae when they move, all twitchy and flippy, but they also swim too. They are more twitchy when in the display part of my tank where there is a lot of flow..In where my return pump is, they appear to be swimming, and will follow a light..I can see two small black dots at one end, I'm assuming they are eyes..They are overall transparent creatures, maybe 1/8th of an inch in size, and there's TONS of them.. I am seeing less now than I did last night. (I think my return pump is killing them off slowly because there seems to be less of them that are moving and more that are just flowing with the current..) The main part of their body, in the middle, has a brownish to reddish color to it. I can almost swear it looks like a shrimp, but at the same time it also looks like a baby guppy. If that sounds like the description of the amphipod, let me know asap so I can get me a mandarin or dragonette! lol

Unread 01/03/2012, 06:30 PM   #163
SushiGirl
Premium Member

big_cats, that actually sounds like hermit crab babies. I had that happen in my tank once, too. I spent a long time getting as good of a look as I could (I couldn't catch them), and hours looking on the internet and finally found this (bottom of page 1) and this. I thought mine were mysis too, at first, but since the hermits were right there where it was going on, and they looked exactly like what I found, I figured it out.

Unread 01/03/2012, 07:25 PM   #164
miyzfrider
Registered Member

I just setup our new 90 gallon tank and are in the process of cycling. I've found two of these little things attached to the glass from the LR I got from the LFS. Are they tiny aiptasia? They look like a little anemone of some kind. I siphoned the first one out, but then this one appeared.

miyzfrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2012, 07:28 PM   #165
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Looks like it. With them on the glass, hold a piece of ice to the outside of the glass and see if they let go into a net LOL.

Unread 01/03/2012, 07:46 PM   #166
big cats
Registered Member

Thank you sushi, that is exactly what they are then. Shoulda clicked sooner to me because the person I got my hermits from said that theirs had been having babies in their tank. It just scared me when it happened because they werent there an hour before I looked at the tank..lol

Unread 01/04/2012, 08:59 AM   #167
miyzfrider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiGirl View Post
Looks like it. With them on the glass, hold a piece of ice to the outside of the glass and see if they let go into a net LOL.
I'll take it out. Thanks for the help.

Found a couple of these little guys running around the rock too. Doesn't look like the other photos I've seen here on the thread. Has antenna, but moves like a bug with longer legs, rather than a worm.

I find looking and finding an interesting thing and kinda fun, especially since I'm a newbie and the tank is just getting going.

miyzfrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2012, 09:38 AM   #168
BassandReef
Registered Member

I got some live rock from a guy that was full of aptasia and I think I saw a worm. I (hopefully) have killed all of the aptasia. But should I dip the rock in freshwater anyway just to be sure I don't have any other undesirables in it?

BassandReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2012, 06:34 PM   #169
SushiGirl
Premium Member

miyzfrider, that's an amphipod. Good guy.
carlii, if you dip the rock in freshwater, you'll lose more than bad stuff.

Unread 01/04/2012, 08:35 PM   #170
UCT
Registered Member

Purple creature

Found this today. Purple and looks like a snail without a shell

UCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2012, 08:48 PM   #171
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Stomatella snail. Good guy. It has a shell, it's just small.

Unread 01/05/2012, 12:42 AM   #172
SauceBoss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiGirl View Post
I don't know what kind of worms those are, but I've seen them before.
Well, this my first post on RC as a long time lurker and first time poster. I finally created an account to tell you all what these 'worms' are. Tanaids are what make those burrows. Here's an article on them you may enjoy:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/rs/index.php

I have many in my reef tank and my yellow coris wrasse certainly enjoys hunting them.

SauceBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2012, 12:59 PM   #173
Bens_Reef
Registered Member

I just found this in my fuge. i cant figure out how to get a better picture. it has a smooth shell like a muscle or something and can hold onto the rock well.

Current Tank Info: 40g Reef/20g Sump/Fuge, 80# LR and 120 Watt LED 460nm 14k PH-8.3, NO3-10-15, PO4-0, dKH-7, Ca-500, Mg-1440, SG-1.026, 77.2-78.2 F
Bens_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2012, 06:40 PM   #174
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Sauceboss, thank you! I hadn't seen that article before.
Bens_reef, sorry but I can't tell from that pic. There are hitchhiking clams at the bottom of this link. Are you thinking it's some kind of clam?

Unread 01/06/2012, 01:50 PM   #175
Bens_Reef
Registered Member

i thought it was some sort of slug, until i went to feel it and it had a shell. in the picture you can kinda see a line vertical through the middle of the object. the right side of that line is the shell. i didnt see anything on that link that looked like it

Current Tank Info: 40g Reef/20g Sump/Fuge, 80# LR and 120 Watt LED 460nm 14k PH-8.3, NO3-10-15, PO4-0, dKH-7, Ca-500, Mg-1440, SG-1.026, 77.2-78.2 F
Bens_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote