Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/01/2014, 07:26 AM   #26
Pigpen17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbitrage View Post
Has anyone tried chitons?
I do not have turf algae, but I had a pair of Chitons for a while. At first I thought they were doing a very good job clearing up my rocks. They would clear a patch up in a night. But in the long run they did very little and died in a few months. I have thought about adding a few more. Maybe in greater numbers they would have been more successful, but I am actually trying to grow everything I can on my rocks now.

They were cool to have though. I loved them. I might give them another shot someday.

56g Column |Aquamaxx HOB-1 Skimmer |Reef Breeders Photon 24 LED |850gph Koralia (X2) | Maxspect Gyre XF130
Pigpen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 01:11 PM   #27
Bdubz
Registered Member

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would share my experience with this ridiculous algae.

I tried most of the natural things that people have suggested in this thread without much luck. I did have one emerald crab that occasionally would pick a few strands of the algae, but not enough to make any impact at all really.

When I moved from my 46 gallon to my 125 gallon I took all my old rock out and threw it in a tub full of bleach. I let it sit in bleach with a powerhead in it for 3 weeks. I then took out the rock and the turf algae was all white (and I'm sure dead), but it still would not come off the rock. I tried scraping it with a brush, pulling it off with tweezers, to no avail. In the end I ended up just throwing those rocks away.

I apparently didn't get it off all my crabs, snails, or corals, because now it has shown up in my 125 gallon tank... It is small right now, but that's how it started in my 46 gallon. Not sure what I am going to do now.

Bdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 06:06 PM   #28
FinzAquatics
Registered Member

Sucks you completely threw out your rock. In the future... If you reach that extreme, bleaching the rock will solve the problem. Not a difficult process and you can reuse the rock.

FinzAquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2015, 01:30 PM   #29
Tainofish
Registered Member

Angry

I believe Bdubz said he used bleach for 3 weeks to no avail I myself keep fighting this thing to the point of getting a 30gal tank cutting some pieces of my corals from the top were the algea is not present frag them and boil all the rocks and live them out for a month to dried and see im using that so call Algaefix I have done 15 treatment and i see no result i take out more with my hands than this stuff clame to do if any thing im getting red slime over the green algea and is worse now,now im battling 2 kinds of algea but the redslime i blasted with a turkey baster and pick it up with my brine shrimp net some people claim Algaefix start working after the 7treament but im up to 15 and i see no results just my 2cents

Last edited by Tainofish; 12/06/2015 at 01:43 PM.
Tainofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2015, 01:40 PM   #30
Tainofish
Registered Member

Angry

Ow! Forgot to mention i have a 75gal reef with some soft and hard corals maybe the people that clame Algaefix have nano tanks because it's not doing anything on my 75gal well now im down to my penny though

Last edited by Tainofish; 12/06/2015 at 01:45 PM.
Tainofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 10:23 PM   #31
LJC6780
Registered Member

I think I have this too. Also wanted to add, I've seen it mentioned to boil the rocks a few times in this thread.. DONT boil rocks with zoas or palys on them! The fumes will be toxic and the pan used could absorb the toxins.

Since mine is in a smaller tank that I've transferred corals and inhabitants from to a new, larger tank, I'll probably just take the rocks out and vinegar or bleach soak them and let them dry.

LJC6780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 06:11 PM   #32
xeanliao
Registered Member

my powder brown tang eats the algae. Not able to completely remove them from my tank, but seems controlling the invasions.

xeanliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2017, 07:07 AM   #33
paal
Registered Member

There is a long thread on the R-2-R-forum. Google "Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole".

This new miracle cure is said to work on both Bryopsis, Derbesia and all hair algae + "various turf algae".
I do not have a positive ID on my stuff, but I will try the Fluco treatment (just ordered enough for 2 full treatments)

If that does not work I am restarting the whole tank.

paal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, turf algae