Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2017, 08:08 PM   #1
Ssteve
Registered Member

Flow patterns

So I'm switching from Neptune wav powerheads to maxspect gyres in my standard 120g. The tank only has sps and I've already run a ton of flow. I had the wav pumps on a 24hr program that varied pretty dramatically throughout the day/night as well as I have a tunze on a sea swirl in the middle of the tank.

So now I'm setting up the gyres and I have a real nice turbulent wave going on in the tank(still running the tunze on the sea swirl also) and I love the way it looks seeing the polyps and my nem swaying back and forth. So I'm wondering if I'm good with the swaying wave motion or if I would be better off with a more turbulent and random flow pattern?

Ssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 08:56 AM   #2
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

You need both. Back/Forth and also some strong/random flow.

I still use a wavebox. I would never run a tank without one. The back-forth does tremendous washing of the coral, especially as they get larger. It also keeps junk suspended that can then get washed away by the jets. You do need the strong, random jets to blow stuff around/out that the wavebox keeps suspended or has worked out of stuff.

In my 240, I only have a Wavebox (homemade with Tunze 6100) and a pair of 6200s. Most consider this low-flow, but it is awesome with the wavebox turning the whole tank over every second or two.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 11:45 AM   #3
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
You need both. Back/Forth and also some strong/random flow.

I still use a wavebox. I would never run a tank without one. The back-forth does tremendous washing of the coral, especially as they get larger. It also keeps junk suspended that can then get washed away by the jets. You do need the strong, random jets to blow stuff around/out that the wavebox keeps suspended or has worked out of stuff.

In my 240, I only have a Wavebox (homemade with Tunze 6100) and a pair of 6200s. Most consider this low-flow, but it is awesome with the wavebox turning the whole tank over every second or two.

Do you have a youtube channel or a video of it in action? Would love to see it.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote