Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/04/2009, 01:56 PM   #551
kmu
Registered Member

Is this tank still running? any pics?

The build thread was amazing...

kmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 03:51 PM   #552
sonofgaladriel
Shiny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmu View Post
Is this tank still running? any pics?

The build thread was amazing...
Yes and no
The tank is still running, only its now a freshwater planted discus tank.
Some time ago I had a HUGE (16") rose BTA die on me while I was away for a few days. I noticed that it has disappeared the day I left, but I assumed it was only going to split again. Unfortunately, several days passed before I realized the BTA had actually died and the system was crashing and by that time I couldn't prevent the domino effect. I lost 90% of all the SPS, most of my beloved rose BTAs, and some of the fish.
After that disaster, I filled the tank with softies, hoping for a low maintenance/low cost reef, but eventually I couldn't recover from the 'crash' and I lost my MOJO and decided to sell everything off. Saltwater was not fun for me any longer.
The tank sat empty for several months while I pondered selling it or turning it into something else.
I couldn't sell it, its just such a great tank, so I went another direction with it.
I decided to turn the tank into a large 'open air' vivarium for a brief period and filled it with chameleons and tropical plants. That lasted about 6 months. I put the chameleons outside on a sunny day and they all managed to escape from their outdoor screened enclosure! (I accidently left one of the doors open ) I haven't seen them since.
The tank sat empty again for several months.....
About 5 months ago I turned the cube back into an actual fish tank but decided to try a freshwater planted tank. Still not ready to tackle saltwater again.
As someone has already said, I am in the process of upgrading tanks. I'm actively searching for a 120"/130" by 24"/30" by 42"/48" tank, roughly between 500 and 700 gallons or so.
My wife and I agree that its time to go back to a long narrow tank along the wall, freeing up some floor space in the home theater/game room.
The cube is great as a coral tank, but not so great for watching fish swim back and forth. I want some length so I can enjoy a huge (300+) school of tetras and several nice discus swim about.
I'll post some pics of the tank's past renditions and the current set up if anyone is interested.

Unread 11/04/2009, 08:57 PM   #553
drywallninja
Registered Member

Wow!What a bummerGood luck with you fresh water endeavors

drywallninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2009, 11:06 AM   #554
delphinus
Registered Member

Sorry to hear, but it's perfectly understandable (come far too close to pulling that trigger myself in the last little while). I for one would be interested in your FW tank build details, please PM me if need be to let me know where that might end up getting posted.

Current Tank Info: 280g Reef, 65g FOWLR
delphinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2009, 11:26 AM   #555
FloodXL
Registered Member

Wow, interesting to hear how the tank went down. That is a real shame Sonofgaladriel, I could see something like that damaging my feeling for the hobby also, major losses are hard to come back from. That reef was seriously one of my favorites that I have seen.

I am a freshwater guy myself, have my own planted tank that is about to be revamped as well as a Malawi Cichlid Mbuna tank. Just not happy with the way the plant tank looks right now, got kind of lazy with it. But in it's prime it rivaled marine tanks to me. I would be very interested in any photos you have of the tank now with discus in it.

Take it easy!

FloodXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2009, 10:27 PM   #556
asnatlas
Registered Member

I am interested in some pics... Do you have any of the vivarium version ?? I would love to see the current FW setup as well...

Unread 11/17/2009, 11:45 PM   #557
hihikeke
Registered Member

+1 pics

hihikeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2009, 10:21 AM   #558
ReefWaters
Premium Member

Uhhhggg. That makes me want to puke. I hate that that tank crashed. But I completely understand losing your desire to fix it after all that. Its just to much work to turn a tank back around after such a large problem.

I'm sure no one would get mad if you posted some pics of the tank with the F word! FRESH Water! Its just part of this hobby. We all take a break every once in a while and go fresh for a few years. I sure have.

Current Tank Info: Taking a break for a while. Still Reading and Researching every day though.
ReefWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2009, 11:02 AM   #559
premilove
The Empire

sorry to hear about your tank. 240 cube, man that's sweet. good luck with fresh water!

premilove is offline   Reply With Quote