Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Tank And Reef Society (STARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/27/2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Snyper19
Registered Member

New to hobby

Hello,

I'm pretty much new and know not a whole lot about this hobby... All I know is that as I spend more time researching about this I'm getting more addicted....

I do not own a tank yet but I've been reading about the RSM 130D and 250... I would like to know if anyone knows or owns one and can provide some information....

Are there any other plug and play systems like RSM?

Snyper19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2013, 11:25 PM   #2
rickjd
Registered Member

Its a good tank to start out with. However, you are very limited in making changes or addition of any other types of equipment. And yes, this hobby is addictive. So it is nice to be able to ADD other equipment and make like tweaks. But the RSM makes this kinda not so posssible. Just something to think about. If your the type that reads alot and wants to always be adding the next great thing... this tank probably is not the direction to go. But if you want to set it up and forget it. This is a good start tank.

rickjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2013, 07:39 AM   #3
bluesplayer86
Registered Member

i personally love the red sea max, i dont have one now but its what i started with. I think its great for begginers. And while you cant add a whole lot of fancy equipment to it, you have to keep in mind (that for me) when i started I didnt NEED all of that fancy equipment...as my knowledge grew so did my equipment and I upgraded. I say if you can afford it go for it I love the red sea max

bluesplayer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2013, 08:31 AM   #4
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

well they aint cheap to start with new. Im not a huge fan of them since the equipment they come with is considered okay not top end or anything. but i can see the appeal and why you would want it. I say figure out your budget first then we can tell you if your in the ball park or not. lol

Unread 03/28/2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Snyper19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesplayer86 View Post
i personally love the red sea max, i dont have one now but its what i started with. I think its great for begginers. And while you cant add a whole lot of fancy equipment to it, you have to keep in mind (that for me) when i started I didnt NEED all of that fancy equipment...as my knowledge grew so did my equipment and I upgraded. I say if you can afford it go for it I love the red sea max
I really like how they look like... a lot of people said that it's good for beginners , I believe for the moment don't Need all the fancy equipment... probably when I get more experienced on this I will start building one... thanks for the input...

Since i'm not in a hurry, I am going to be patience and wait until I see a good offer...if you were on my shoes, would you go with a 250 or 130D?

Unread 03/28/2013, 08:10 PM   #6
rpjaws74
Registered Member

Saltwater Heaven shop has one set up...and another waiting to be set up!! FYI

Current Tank Info: 500 glln system/ Reef
rpjaws74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2013, 09:42 PM   #7
Snyper19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjaws74 View Post
Really? Thanks for the info!!!

Unread 03/29/2013, 11:02 AM   #8
mikem101
Registered Member

Wink

Well i thought I would throw in my 2 cents as i was pretty new and looking at the same options you are just and year ago. I had done big fish only tanks but no reef set ups till now! And i like the red sea dont get me wrong but im glad i got talked out of it. 2 big reasons were once i got into setting up the reef there are SO MANY options and red sea is very limited and 2 you can set up a REALLY nice 75 gallon for probably a little less depending on what you are doing? so i would say get a good deal on a 75 gallon or a 40 breeder and make it your own. Either route you take you really cant go wrong just my experience with it!

mikem101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Snyper19
Registered Member

Thanks mike

I still have lots of time to research and decide what is best for me, I don't want to rush in and make a bad decision...

Unread 03/29/2013, 11:33 AM   #10
mikem101
Registered Member

Good call! you already have one thing going for you which is patience, i had to learn that when i started this hobby! good luck with whatever you chose!

mikem101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2013, 07:39 PM   #11
Snyper19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjaws74 View Post
I stopped by saltwater heaven, really cool place and Juan Carlos is great, spent like 2 hours there and he was explaining me a lot....great guy!!

Unread 03/29/2013, 09:54 PM   #12
stanger50lx92
Registered Member

When I started this hobby I had a 60 gallon bow front that was first a fresh water fish tank. As my knowledge grew I found out quick I started off wrong. I now have a 39 gallon cadlights pro. It's a couple of years old. It was a plug and play type system. The basic design of this system lends itself to upgrades which I love. I have since upgraded a number of things but when I got it I was content for a while till I wanted to upgrade stuff. Do a search of cadlights and check out the web site. Just one more option in this expensive hobby of ours. Good luck and be patient!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

stanger50lx92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2013, 11:28 PM   #13
lsaucedo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger50lx92 View Post
. Good luck and be patient!

Sent from my ipad using tapatalk hd
+++++1111111

lsaucedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2013, 09:55 PM   #14
Snyper19
Registered Member

Well, after looking around the forum, craiglist and other sites.... I want to say that I am now an owner of a used RSM 250 with a sump and refugium.... Can't wait to connect everything and start cycling....

But now I have tons of questions.... Where is the best place to buy things for the tank? I will need aragonite sand, rock, water, salt.... Is it better to buy those things in a local store or online?

Unread 04/12/2013, 10:39 PM   #15
bluesplayer86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper19 View Post
Well, after looking around the forum, craiglist and other sites.... I want to say that I am now an owner of a used RSM 250 with a sump and refugium.... Can't wait to connect everything and start cycling....

But now I have tons of questions.... Where is the best place to buy things for the tank? I will need aragonite sand, rock, water, salt.... Is it better to buy those things in a local store or online?
I say always support local business..I get my stuff from The Coral Reef its a great shop very helpfull staff (and you can ask them tons of questions) of course you can always buy things online but then you have to factor in shipping....and waiting...and waiting lol but check out the lfs get to know some people they are always more than happy to help and hey feel free to ask me if you need some help (or anyone else for that matter)

Unread 04/12/2013, 10:55 PM   #16
Snyper19
Registered Member

I actually stopped by that lfs but I was out of luck sice they were close for a whole week... I'll check it out tomorrow, what is a good price for live rock and sand?

The guy who sold me the tank said that I need a more powerful skimmer than the stock rsm skimmer and to put it in the sump... So I need to get me a used in sump skimmer anyone selling?

Unread 04/13/2013, 12:05 AM   #17
Canelo
Registered Member

You sould try petsmart i think its cheaper than lfs (sand)

Canelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2013, 12:06 AM   #18
Canelo
Registered Member

And saltwater heaven has the best price on rock 4.00 a pound

Canelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2013, 11:05 AM   #19
Snyper19
Registered Member

Thanks canelo !! I'll stop by at saltwater heaven for the rock

Unread 04/13/2013, 01:10 PM   #20
bluesplayer86
Registered Member

as far as the skimmer i never had any problems with it. (if it was up to me) i would set it up as is and if you notice the skimmer isnt working as it should or not pulling out as much then add one to the sump. Just starting out it should be fine unless your adding a huge bio load

Unread 04/13/2013, 02:24 PM   #21
Snyper19
Registered Member

Quote:
as far as the skimmer i never had any problems with it. (if it was up to me) i would set it up as is and if you notice the skimmer isnt working as it should or not pulling out as much then add one to the sump. Just starting out it should be fine unless your adding a huge bio load
Yeah, that's what I was thinking on doing, he even suggested that I could give it a try just to see how the stock skimmer works and if needed then I'll look for one....

I think I still have some time to figure this out

Unread 04/13/2013, 02:42 PM   #22
915MANG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper19 View Post

Cool, Post some pics when you get a chance

Current Tank Info: 120 Gal in progress Fish & a few corals 34G Solana
915MANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2013, 03:12 PM   #23
Snyper19
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking on doing, he even suggested that I could give it a try just to see how the stock skimmer works and if needed then I'll look for one....

I think I still have some time to figure this out

Unread 04/13/2013, 07:59 PM   #24
bluesplayer86
Registered Member

i cant even lie after all this talk about the red sea max it makes me wish i still had one i loved that tank

Unread 04/14/2013, 01:01 AM   #25
Snyper19
Registered Member

Here are a couple of pics, I just finished putting all the things in the living room, I'm only missing one hood pin, any ideas where can I get one? Since I don't know how to plug the sump, the seller told me that we can schedule a conference call so he can guide me through....

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]