Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Avast Marine Works
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/26/2010, 07:48 PM   #1
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

Preview of 'PegLeg', the new 2011 AVAST Cone Skimmer DIY Kit

Fresh out of our CAD application's rendering tool, this is what the new pump-underneath version of our CS1 DIY cone skimmer kit (nicknamed 'PegLeg') will look like:

We've moved the pump underneath the cone body, which adds a few inches to the height requirement (22" now) but drastically reduces the sump footprint to only 10"x9".

Also, we changed the old gate valve to a bottom drain pipe with a custom built micro-adjustable valve. Much better water level adjustability this way, and you don't have to put your hand in the water to adjust the skimmer. Note that the silencer has been moved off the cup flange and onto the hartford loop pipe, which makes removing the cup a little easier.

One other change not easily seen is the cone to neck flange connection has been improved from a two-piece acrylic + PVC assembly to a single PVC ring that is milled to fit over the cone. This means an easier & cleaner fit during assembly.

These are available for Preorder, as they are in final production and we plan to ship them on or around Dec. 8th. Order yours now to take advantage of the black friday sale going on until Monday at midnight! (coupon code 'thanks15')

ctenophore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Christian_S
Moved On

I think the skimmer needs a bigger collecting cup JMO

Christian_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2010, 08:12 PM   #3
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_S View Post
I think the skimmer needs a bigger collecting cup JMO
It has a drain, which allows it to be used with our skimmate Locker. A bigger cup just adds to the cost, for little benefit since the Locker also doubles as a skimmer shutoff safety device.

Unread 11/26/2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Christian_S
Moved On

but how about if I don't want to use the skimmer locker ??

so if I want the skimmer, do I need to buy the skimmer locker has well ??

thanks

Christian_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2010, 09:14 PM   #5
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

No, locker is definitely not required. If you don't want to use the drain, it comes with a plug.

Unread 11/29/2010, 03:33 PM   #6
austin93
Don't Panic!

What is your reasonable expectation for tank load? I run a 150g sps system with probably 200g total volume. Would this be suitable or should I wait for the larger iteration? I realize it says 100 to 200, but sometimes this number doesn't imply fully sps or heavy stocking. Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 30 Rimless
austin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2010, 04:23 PM   #7
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

Hi Austin,

I think it depends on how many large fish you have. A 150 sps tank is certainly within capability of this skimmer, but with e.g., 5 large tangs requiring several sheets of nori per day, maybe that's stretching it. Similarly, a big group of anthias being fed 3-4x per day may also be a stretch.

With a Swabbie you could get away with more as that would keep the skimmer running at peak efficiency longer than without.

Hope this helps.
Justin

Unread 12/14/2010, 09:41 PM   #8
Snafu-2112
Moved On

I'd still recommend a larger collection cup. The cost of buying an auto-shut off "davy jones' skimmate locker" is far more than a larger collection cup should cost.

Snafu-2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2010, 12:28 AM   #9
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback. The CAD rendering was not perfectly scaled. Here is a picture of the final product showing actual size of collection cup.

Picture also shows the locker and swabbie which are simply accessories for our skimmer (and many others) and are not in any way required.

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2010, 08:55 AM   #10
Eel-byte
Premium Member

Do you plan on updating the instructions on the website? Also I'm running a 120g mixed reef and planning on having around 6-10 fish. Is this skimmer a good fit for this tank bio load?

Eel-byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2010, 04:00 PM   #11
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Assembly instructions along with a new video should be up very shortly. This skimmer will have absolutely no trouble keeping up with your tank load.

Unread 12/16/2010, 04:07 PM   #12
Eel-byte
Premium Member

Cant wait, ordered mine today!

Eel-byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2011, 08:57 PM   #13
Haddonisreef
Registered Member.

I also just picked one up and what's the best depth to run it in?

Haddonisreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2011, 07:49 AM   #14
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

7" is what we've found to work best.

Unread 12/06/2011, 08:25 AM   #15
Haddonisreef
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctenophore View Post
7" is what we've found to work best.
Awesome I'll make a riser!

Unread 12/21/2011, 07:34 AM   #16
Haddonisreef
Registered Member.

So made the riser and shortened the out put line and still will over flow! What should I do I'm about ready to sell it!

Unread 12/21/2011, 01:25 PM   #17
Der ABT
Registered Member

how long have you had it running, they need to break in...literally we have a local that was at wits end trying to do everything, he let it run for a week and next thing you know it was working perfectly and he is beyond happy he didnt sell it.
he just took the top off and let her run.
he had just put the tank up and had so many known bubble-crazing agents in there that it may take a week. Putty, new tank, filter socks, new skimmer, dry sand- Adding some mysis might help balance it out (only half kidding- mysis is known for shutting down skimmate production)

here is his update with it working
Quote:
Happy to report the skimmer is working great now!
If anyone has the same problem I recommend first raising as high as you can without the base being out of the water. Then, taking the "T" that the gate valve is attached to off the outlet pipe. Then angle the outlet pipe so it's not going straight up and the water output is a little under water. That will help with the back pressure and drop the level of all the foam. Let it run like that for 24 hours and it will build up a nice thick bubble mass that will eventually go into the cup. Once all the stuff is out of the tank you can start to lower and stand the output pipe back up.
Right now I have the skimmer lowered all the way and the gate valve back on. It's all the way open but it's on
Thanks for all the help everyone
End Quote

Hope this helps seriously this skimmer is well worth keeping...best of lucky happy holidays...Justin or Dan may chime in with better advice

Der ABT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2011, 06:58 AM   #18
Haddonisreef
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der ABT View Post
how long have you had it running, they need to break in...literally we have a local that was at wits end trying to do everything, he let it run for a week and next thing you know it was working perfectly and he is beyond happy he didnt sell it.
he just took the top off and let her run.
he had just put the tank up and had so many known bubble-crazing agents in there that it may take a week. Putty, new tank, filter socks, new skimmer, dry sand- Adding some mysis might help balance it out (only half kidding- mysis is known for shutting down skimmate production)

here is his update with it working
Quote:
Happy to report the skimmer is working great now!
If anyone has the same problem I recommend first raising as high as you can without the base being out of the water. Then, taking the "T" that the gate valve is attached to off the outlet pipe. Then angle the outlet pipe so it's not going straight up and the water output is a little under water. That will help with the back pressure and drop the level of all the foam. Let it run like that for 24 hours and it will build up a nice thick bubble mass that will eventually go into the cup. Once all the stuff is out of the tank you can start to lower and stand the output pipe back up.
Right now I have the skimmer lowered all the way and the gate valve back on. It's all the way open but it's on
Thanks for all the help everyone
End Quote

Hope this helps seriously this skimmer is well worth keeping...best of lucky happy holidays...Justin or Dan may chime in with better advice
So bought it used so shouldnt need break in time? I have been running it w/o cup with no change (been 2 days) Its running on a trough w no sand and the refigum did have new sand before i put the skimmer on, so when i get the new tank going w new sand will the skimmer continue to overflow!

Unread 12/23/2011, 08:28 AM   #19
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddonisreef View Post
So bought it used so shouldnt need break in time? I have been running it w/o cup with no change (been 2 days) Its running on a trough w no sand and the refigum did have new sand before i put the skimmer on, so when i get the new tank going w new sand will the skimmer continue to overflow!
Try letting it drain to a bucket for an hour or so. You have something in the water that is causing lots of foam production. Lots of things can cause this, new sand only being one. New filter socks, some chemicals & food, etc. It will calm down after you let it process & remove whatever is in the water. Simply leaving the cup off just recirculates whatever is causing the superfoam. Hope this helps!

Justin

Unread 12/25/2011, 10:21 AM   #20
necessary_evil
Registered Member

Pictures always help, I just finished building mine and i modified a few things and it works spectacularly. Lets see what you got and I might be able to be helpful

necessary_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2011, 10:29 AM   #21
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

i wouldnt worry after about a week of running it should start to slime up and start kicking in. All skimmers new or used have to break in. The peg leg is no different. Its a great skimmer.

Mojo~

Unread 01/02/2012, 09:40 AM   #22
Haddonisreef
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by necessary_evil View Post
Pictures always help, I just finished building mine and i modified a few things and it works spectacularly. Lets see what you got and I might be able to be helpful
Here's what I have and it's still overflowing

Unread 01/02/2012, 10:03 AM   #23
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

The elbow you have submerged is causing back pressure. I assume it is there to prevent splashing after you raised the skimmer. Instead try cutting your white pvc riser pipe (the 1" schedule 40 piece that goes up to silencer) down so the output of the tee is at your water level.

Unread 01/02/2012, 10:09 AM   #24
Haddonisreef
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avast Marine View Post
The elbow you have submerged is causing back pressure. I assume it is there to prevent splashing after you raised the skimmer. Instead try cutting your white pvc riser pipe (the 1" schedule 40 piece that goes up to silencer) down so the output of the tee is at your water level.
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll do that after I get the kidos breakfast!

Unread 01/02/2012, 06:42 PM   #25
Haddonisreef
Registered Member.

Well she is now performing as expected! Thanks again!!

Tags
cone skimmer, diy, diy skimmer