Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/02/2017, 12:49 PM   #501
deputydog95
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt204 View Post
A jeager is definitely in the plan for me now. Too much to lose!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
And at like 35 bucks it's a no brainer. Rock solid with my apex. It's big but works really well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Unread 11/02/2017, 03:59 PM   #502
rkpetersen
Registered Member

A month ago, I removed two 200W NeoTherms from my dt after reading this thread, especially after seeing that this was still happening with the newer supposedly redesigned version. Replaced them with EJs. The Neotherm concept is awesome and their temperature control top notch, but a risk is unacceptable and there's nothing to do to mitigate it except replace the heaters.

rkpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 11:31 PM   #503
themummra
Registered Member

The Cobalt Accu-Therm otoh has been working really well for me. Kept a rubbermaid of live rock at a steady temperature for a month now.

themummra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 06:38 AM   #504
homer1475
Registered Member

And this is why I dumped the cobalt line of heaters and now use a finnex heating tube.

It's all metal, no temp sensor to malfunction, and rock solid performance. Of course one down side is it needs a controller of some sort to control it, but 99% of us use them already anyways.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 07:26 AM   #505
deputydog95
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
And this is why I dumped the cobalt line of heaters and now use a finnex heating tube.

It's all metal, no temp sensor to malfunction, and rock solid performance. Of course one down side is it needs a controller of some sort to control it, but 99% of us use them already anyways.
Which is why most of are switching to Jaeger. Lots of people run an apex so it's a no brainer to get the Jaeger if you can control temp with the apex.

Unread 11/03/2017, 07:57 PM   #506
themummra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
Which is why most of are switching to Jaeger. Lots of people run an apex so it's a no brainer to get the Jaeger if you can control temp with the apex.

Jaegar still has the glass that can crack, he is talking about a all metal heater that couldn't happen too.

Unread 11/03/2017, 08:24 PM   #507
deputydog95
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themummra View Post
Jaegar still has the glass that can crack, he is talking about a all metal heater that couldn't happen too.
Do they crack? Hadn't heard of that happening before.

Unread 11/03/2017, 08:25 PM   #508
rkpetersen
Registered Member

Quote:
Jaegar still has the glass that can crack
Yes, but how often does that happen if the heaters are secured well and positioned underwater at least up to the line, in a location where they can't easily be touched by anything? Probably very very rarely.

The titanium heaters have a lot of appeal. Although, even though I use an Apex, I chose EJs because I like that the EJs have an internal thermostat. Set it just a bit above your Apex temp range, and each serves as a partial check on the other malfunctioning.

rkpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 10:12 PM   #509
10Seconds
Registered Member

Im going all titanium. Its not worth losing thousands in corals amd livestock over a $100 part. I dont want a glass heater at all. Always though this was a risk and this thread confirms it.

10Seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 04:31 PM   #510
themummra
Registered Member

Quote:
Do they crack? Hadn't heard of that happening before.

Not often, its possible with the glass though. The safest way would be all metal but Jaegars are great enough. I use a glass wrapped Cobalt on the same level as the Jaegars

Unread 11/05/2017, 04:43 PM   #511
deputydog95
Registered Member

Quote:
Not often, its possible with the glass though. The safest way would be all metal but Jaegars are great enough. I use a glass wrapped Cobalt on the same level as the Jaegars
I was just going by the product description for the Jaeger heater on BRS. Seems to imply they are shatter proof. For whatever that's worth:-)

Unread 11/05/2017, 07:33 PM   #512
themummra
Registered Member

Quote:
I was just going by the product description for the Jaeger heater on BRS. Seems to imply they are shatter proof. For whatever that's worth:-)

Borosillicate is pretty hardy, but I've broken enough bongs made of it to know that its not shatter proof

Unread 11/05/2017, 07:36 PM   #513
deputydog95
Registered Member

Quote:
Borosillicate is pretty hardy, but I've broken enough bongs made of it to know that its not shatter proof
Lol. Since no one is packing a bowl, getting high and dropping these heaters on the floor... They should be ok :-)

Unread 03/22/2018, 07:16 PM   #514
polarcollision
Registered Member

I’ll resurrect this thread. Husband was home this morning when my 100W neotherm heater exploded just like previous posts. I haven’t been home from work yet to see the damage myself, but orange goop was leaking into the water column. Heater has been running for a while—couple of years at least.

polarcollision is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2018, 08:32 AM   #515
deputydog95
Registered Member

Why is anyone still running NT heaters after reading these posts?

Unread 03/25/2018, 01:21 PM   #516
Bayareareefer18
Registered Member

I just finished by build and put two of the 150s in my sump after seeing BRS rave about these heaters.

Unfortunately the jagers are far too big to fit my sump. I have a 300 w in my mixing barrel and it's huge.

Ugghhhh I suppose after reading through a bit of this thread it's not worth the risk?

What's the general consensus on the newest models ? Seems everyone has just given up on these heaters? Shame since the size aspect of this heater makes it very attractive

Bayareareefer18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2018, 03:13 PM   #517
deputydog95
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayareareefer18 View Post
I just finished by build and put two of the 150s in my sump after seeing BRS rave about these heaters.

Unfortunately the jagers are far too big to fit my sump. I have a 300 w in my mixing barrel and it's huge.

Ugghhhh I suppose after reading through a bit of this thread it's not worth the risk?

What's the general consensus on the newest models ? Seems everyone has just given up on these heaters? Shame since the size aspect of this heater makes it very attractive
I threw mine away...

Unread 03/25/2018, 03:28 PM   #518
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
I threw mine away...
+1
Had 2 of them, one died, thankfully in the off position. The other I threw away.

Unread 03/25/2018, 03:31 PM   #519
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Quote:
Lol. Since no one is packing a bowl, getting high and dropping these heaters on the floor... They should be ok :-)

Aww come on, you don't smoke from your heater? OOh wait.. this isn't the lounge is it?

Unread 12/21/2018, 05:22 PM   #520
dbdisok
Registered Member

Neo-Therm 200 Watt Failed

IMG_7323.jpg

I have used this brand of heater for a few years. One in my display tank. One spare and one to heat my freshly mixed saltwater.

Today I mixed ten gallons of saltwater and placed the heater in the brute trash can i use for mixing. About two hours later my garage smells like a chemical factory.

The heater had a 6" split on the front of it. The manufacture date on this unit is 8/2017. This heater really doesn't have that many hours on it.

Next up 120 gallon RR. Much planning and work to be completed.

Current Tank Info: 55 gal reef with sump, L/S L/R
dbdisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2019, 09:42 PM   #521
dougers31
Registered Member

Just re-affirmed my selection of Jager heaters. Now to figure out the best way to hook it up to a (bayite?) controller....

dougers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2019, 10:42 PM   #522
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Sigh, this sucks really bad. I've been saying for years there is no place in this world for a heater that has its main heating element encased in plastic.

No heater is perfect and any heater will fail. These epoxy based one much more so and sooner then later.

I've been using some titanium heaters now as posted on the previous page.
I agree with this guy.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2019, 08:02 AM   #523
pfoxgrover
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougers31 View Post
Just re-affirmed my selection of Jager heaters. Now to figure out the best way to hook it up to a (bayite?) controller....
+1 for Jagers. I control mine with an apex.

pfoxgrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2019, 06:36 AM   #524
marzvt
Registered Member

With this and the DIY king fiasco I’m considering getting rid of mine and moving to titanium or Jagers or something

marzvt is offline   Reply With Quote