Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/17/2018, 10:47 PM   #1
JawaReef
Registered Member

Old Tank, Can't seem to clean

Hi All,

I'm new to the whole aquarium scene, but I've been wanting to get into it for years! From everything I've read, I want to be sure I do everything right the first time. I've stumbled onto this 90 gal tank at a yard sale. No history was told about it, but it was dirt cheap and I couldn't pass it up. I've tried cleaning it with vinegar several times. Salt and vinegar scrub down. Left the vinegar on for extended amount of time for soaking and trying to saturate the calcium. Even tried an Eco friendly cleaning solution. Nothing is working to get this ring off the top 3 inches and under the top glass. I'm thinking the glass might actually be stained and unclean-able.

Would this be a problem when setting up a saltwater aquarium?

Is there anything else I could try to help clean in?

Also, I am planning on re-caulking the tank. It looks like from the dimensions, it is a costume tank, and only the bottom and top is sealed. When I real seal it, should I caulk the sides or would it be fine?

Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jcc...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q5M...ew?usp=sharing

JawaReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 06:29 AM   #2
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

just an fyi your pictures come up as requiring you to request access. you might need to change the share settings on them.

i don't know that i would feel comfortable taking on the job of resealing a tank myself. that is something i would want some more experienced help with.

as for the stains, vinegar is always my goto. maybe try CLR?

truth be told, it might be better to just get a new, or maybe new-er tank where you know some of the history. sketchy yard sale tanks are best left to reptiles and terrariums imo.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 07:04 AM   #3
Fourstars
Registered Member.

The top ring is probably eched. Not going to really be able to fix that. I agree with the last post to not use a used tank, this hobby is expensive and you’ll end up dumping a couple of grand into that 90, and don’t want it flopping around on the carpet. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Fourstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 11:38 AM   #4
NikonN8
Registered Member

No harm in giving a little muriatic acid a try. Just use it outside and with gloves. It shouldn't hurt the silicone any but try to keep it isolated anyway. That stuff has worked well for me in the past. Use baking soda to neutralize it.

Unread 10/20/2018, 01:09 AM   #5
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Ditch the tank, sounds like the glass is etched and the water seal has been damaged exposing the structural seal. The tank sounds totaled.

We don't use caulk, we use silicone. On a 90gal you'd want to use Momentive RTV Silicone and not stuff you get at the hardware store. Again, I think the tank is totaled, as fourstars said above, even though you might not think it yet, the tank will be the cheapest part in the long run. Buy new, even if you have to go smaller.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2018, 07:42 PM   #6
JawaReef
Registered Member

This gives me something to chew on. Most likely I will get another tank. Thanks all!

JawaReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2018, 09:40 PM   #7
thegrun
Registered Member

I agree with the recommendations of getting another tank. Beyond the etched glass, resealing a tank is a very time consuming and difficult task. All the silicone has to be removed, you cannot bond new silicone to old silicone, it will leak. You would literally need to completely tear the tank apart, clean all the old silicone off first with a razzor and then a final cleaning with solvent, then resilicone the tank.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2018, 08:06 PM   #8
ibryson
Registered Member

I feel your psin! I recently had to bite the bullet and dump a 55 gallon I planned to use as a sump. I spent way too much money trying to "restore" it and I eventually decided to just buy a new sump. Sometimes the good deal is just not worth the effort.

ibryson is offline   Reply With Quote