Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/02/2016, 11:44 AM   #3401
Tacostrk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Surplus View Post
Yes.... I'm still building them. Gonna send you a PM.
Could I get a pm too? I tried to pm you but my post count isn't high enough.
Thanks

Tacostrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2016, 11:51 AM   #3402
Tacostrk
Registered Member

Quote:
No need to "go ghetto" Lol. I make a 0 - 10v/5v PWM adapter that shares the same pinout and footprint of the BFini. The adapter snaps in to my board just like the BF Mini.

I'm really interested in one of these boards as well but with the bluefish mini control or even the storm controller.

Tacostrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2016, 01:33 AM   #3403
Emmy Yin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrasco View Post
For six LDD-H, you're going to need at least a 10x10 board. I can make the layout for you if that's what you need.

I didn't even know they offered those sizes or color options. I'm so used to going to the istore before the imall was there. Even though my last order I placed through the istore. I'm distracted easily.
Can you share the Gerber file with us?

Emmy Yin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2016, 06:26 PM   #3404
jjoos99
Registered Member

I am having issues with my arduino that is running the jarduino program and it has been freezing up. Alot of times the screen will be scrambled at the same time. It will lock up on the lighting schedule that it is on when it freezes. I have to unplug the power to get the program to advance. do you all think it might be faulty program or the arduino board actually messing up?
thanks
jeff

jjoos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2016, 06:46 PM   #3405
Tooboot
Registered Member

Ok, so I need someone to point me in the right direction. I want to do my own led diy, I have interest but no knowledge in electronics to the extent of what is discussed in most threads. I get the whole heatsink and fan concepts (not electronic heavy) and DC vs. AC power. I do want dimmable leds and a controller to program day night lights, understanding I will need a dimmable driver(s). Just looking for additional resources to read and learn more from. Also, I ordered 2 hear sinks (150mm x 56mm) how many 3w leds with 20mm pcbs do you think I could place on there with a small fan on each?
I was considering getting some ldd drivers with the storm controler, but am interested in knowing more about the arduino options considering I could probably find code online or on RC that I could use and like the additional options that it allows.
Any help is a precise given there are so many threads and posts to go through.
I ordered the leds the other day from ebay, nice mix of wavelengths most around the 700ma current

Want to add that I am planning on running about 28-30 led total, ideally split between 2 heatsinks in a custom hood that I will hang over the tank.

Last edited by Tooboot; 07/04/2016 at 06:52 PM.
Tooboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2016, 07:12 PM   #3406
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooboot View Post
Ok, so I need someone to point me in the right direction. I want to do my own led diy, I have interest but no knowledge in electronics to the extent of what is discussed in most threads. I get the whole heatsink and fan concepts (not electronic heavy) and DC vs. AC power. I do want dimmable leds and a controller to program day night lights, understanding I will need a dimmable driver(s). Just looking for additional resources to read and learn more from. Also, I ordered 2 hear sinks (150mm x 56mm) how many 3w leds with 20mm pcbs do you think I could place on there with a small fan on each?
I was considering getting some ldd drivers with the storm controler, but am interested in knowing more about the arduino options considering I could probably find code online or on RC that I could use and like the additional options that it allows.
Any help is a precise given there are so many threads and posts to go through.
I ordered the leds the other day from ebay, nice mix of wavelengths most around the 700ma current

Want to add that I am planning on running about 28-30 led total, ideally split between 2 heatsinks in a custom hood that I will hang over the tank.
Start at 4994
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...78127&page=200
post #1
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ight=led+build

currently "the go to" dc to DC driver is the Ldd-h series..

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2016, 08:07 PM   #3407
jjoos99
Registered Member

How many ldd drivers will the ardunio controller support? I am wondering if I have too many drivers which is causing my controller to freeze up. I am running greens, blues, royal blues, whites, reds and violets with multiple strings of the whites, and royals.
tks
Jeff

Unread 07/04/2016, 08:15 PM   #3408
Tooboot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard451 View Post
A huge thank you in showing this driver and controller. I ordered all the parts for the build. Its going to look incredible with the touch screen, on screen channel sliders, full dimming, and lunar cycle. Total cost was less than $700, and will have a similar setup as two Radion pros for over $1,200 less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo57 View Post
Start at 4994
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...78127&page=200
post #1
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ight=led+build

currently "the go to" dc to DC driver is the Ldd-h series..
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for

Tooboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2016, 06:29 AM   #3409
perkint
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoos99 View Post
I am having issues with my arduino that is running the jarduino program and it has been freezing up. Alot of times the screen will be scrambled at the same time. It will lock up on the lighting schedule that it is on when it freezes. I have to unplug the power to get the program to advance. do you all think it might be faulty program or the arduino board actually messing up?
thanks
jeff
Could be either programming or hardware. You mention in another post too many LDDs - unlikely to be that, but how many do you run? Any mains switching (eg relays) in close proximity to the arduino? You could enable the watchdog timer in the arduino (is only a few lines of code) as a temporary way of making it automatically restart.

Tim

perkint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2016, 08:14 AM   #3410
jjoos99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkint View Post
Could be either programming or hardware. You mention in another post too many LDDs - unlikely to be that, but how many do you run? Any mains switching (eg relays) in close proximity to the arduino? You could enable the watchdog timer in the arduino (is only a few lines of code) as a temporary way of making it automatically restart.

Tim
I currently have 19 Ldd drivers running off this one controller. I had to unplug it twice last evening. My controller is on the side of my hood and the only thing close to it is my Neptune jr controller. When I first got this used controller it had a 9 v power supply and the regulator was getting so hot I couldn't hardly touch it. I have since switched it out for a cell phone charger it it is warm but not burning hot like it was. The heat might have caused some damage. I wouldn't know even where to begin installing the watchdog code you mentioned.
Tks for the help
Jeff

Unread 07/05/2016, 01:01 PM   #3411
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
I wouldn't know even where to begin installing the watchdog code you mentioned.
Tks for the help
Jeff
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=63651.0
That you can read about here:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?ac....0;attach=3585

Make sure you also read the thread..

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2016, 06:39 AM   #3412
perkint
Registered Member

What's the most LDDs you run on one PWM signal from the arduino?

Tim

Unread 07/06/2016, 11:19 AM   #3413
jjoos99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkint View Post
What's the most LDDs you run on one PWM signal from the arduino?

Tim
That's my concern also. I have maybe 9 on the same royal blue signal.
Jeff

Unread 07/07/2016, 04:05 PM   #3414
perkint
Registered Member

Try taking a few off for a few days, see if it still freezes!

Tim

Unread 07/07/2016, 09:43 PM   #3415
jjoos99
Registered Member

The freezing up seems to be random. Today it worked fine. Yesterday it froze up once. the day before that fine and the day before that it froze twice.
Go figure
Jeff

Unread 07/17/2016, 10:15 AM   #3416
O2Surplus
Registered Member

Here's my latest design. This one uses the WEMOS D1 Mini for WiFi control instead of the BlueFish Mini. It features 8 PWM channels, Dual SCW's, 3 cooling fan connections, ect.. The PcB measures 100mm X 150mm. I've got a batch of 10 coming in the next week or so. I'll post the design files if this design proves sound and defect free.

Unread 07/17/2016, 10:34 AM   #3417
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

What firmware are you planning on using for the ESP8266? Since a PWM control firmware is fairly universal maybe there should be a common RC-DIY-LED for lighting project on GitHub or similar

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2016, 11:03 AM   #3418
007Bond
Registered Member

Hi O2,...does D1 work through Android like the BFmini,...are they one and the same? looks like a major $ savings ---Rick

007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2016, 11:38 AM   #3419
O2Surplus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatrus View Post
What firmware are you planning on using for the ESP8266? Since a PWM control firmware is fairly universal maybe there should be a common RC-DIY-LED for lighting project on GitHub or similar

The GitHub idea is a good one! For now I'm using the Arduino IDE for programming purposes, and the "BLYNK" app for testing http://www.blynk.cc/, since I suck at coding and needed an easy solution. LOL - as soon as I can learn Android, Python, HTML, and C/C++, I might be able to create my own Android App, but I'll probably die of old age first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Bond View Post
Hi O2,...does D1 work through Android like the BFmini,...are they one and the same? looks like a major $ savings ---Rick
Hey Rick!

The BlueFish Mini uses an "Electric Imp" programmed using the "Squirrel" programming language. The Wemos D1 Mini uses the ESP8266 chip set and can be programmed using the Arduino IDE. It's open source, so plenty of code examples are already available. The Wemos D1 Mini is cheap... like under $5 each cheap. LOL- I just bought 20 of 'em for less than the cost of one BlueFish Mini!

Unread 07/17/2016, 12:08 PM   #3420
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

Quote:
The GitHub idea is a good one! For now I'm using the Arduino IDE for programming purposes, and the "BLYNK" app for testing http://www.blynk.cc/, since I suck at coding and needed an easy solution. LOL - as soon as I can learn Android, Python, HTML, and C/C++, I might be able to create my own Android App, but I'll probably die of old age first.

Blynk looks pretty good actually, need to play with that some since it looks like a nice remote access setup. Also there is a private server option.

I suck at Android development but can make passable iOS applications. I've mainly focused on Bluetooth LE connectivity in my stuff so far, usually falling back to local controller (no need for internet connectivity, router setup, etc).

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2016, 04:37 PM   #3421
007Bond
Registered Member

Yeah I see the cost diff. plus 8 channels ! Everytime you put something new up I have to check it out,...I seen the cost,...wow ! although I'm really happy with my Bluefish that I got from you.

007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 07:54 AM   #3422
Dr.Karl
Premium Member

Quote:
Here's my latest design. This one uses the WEMOS D1 Mini for WiFi control instead of the BlueFish Mini. It features 8 PWM channels, Dual SCW's, 3 cooling fan connections, ect.. The PcB measures 100mm X 150mm. I've got a batch of 10 coming in the next week or so. I'll post the design files if this design proves sound and defect free.

It would be cool if the controller were seperate from the driver boards and they were linked together by a 2 wire serial interface with the fan outputs on the driver boards.

Dr.Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 09:28 AM   #3423
jjoos99
Registered Member

I need to ask a probably stupid question. If I have 1000 drivers and have them dimmed to say 50% will they essentially be putting out the equivalent of 500 mah? I have coral in my frag tank that has very good p/e and the same coral in my display will have very little extension. The only difference would be the flow in the tank and the drivers for the leds. The frag tank has nondimmable lpc 35-700 drivers and the display is ardurino controlled with mainly 1000 drivers. Just wondering if maybe I am overkill on the lights in the display running them at the 1000 level?
thanks
jeff

Unread 08/11/2016, 09:31 AM   #3424
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
I need to ask a probably stupid question. If I have 1000 drivers and have them dimmed to say 50% will they essentially be putting out the equivalent of 500 mah? I have coral in my frag tank that has very good p/e and the same coral in my display will have very little extension. The only difference would be the flow in the tank and the drivers for the leds. The frag tank has nondimmable lpc 35-700 drivers and the display is ardurino controlled with mainly 1000 drivers. Just wondering if maybe I am overkill on the lights in the display running them at the 1000 level?
thanks
jeff
Do the systems share water? If not, that's probably the culprit.

If they do, then it could be the amount of light or could be a change in flow if the display is drastically different. Have you measured PAR between the two?

Current Tank Info: Acquasole 60, IceCap 15 Sump, 2x Maxspect Ethereal, Coral Box D500 skimmer, Maxspect Gyre 150, Jecod DCS-5000
jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 01:12 PM   #3425
jjoos99
Registered Member

they share the same amount of water just alot less flow in the frag tank. I havent checked with the par meter. The heat sinks were built with the same configure of leds but just have different drivers. Ardurino driven on display and plain jane meanwells on the frag tank. Thats why I was wondering about the 1000mah drivers being dimmed would be somewhat equivalent to the standard 700's?
jeff